#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,142 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:50 AM

BSL: http://baltimorespor...ngton-redskins/

Taking a look at the upcoming matchup with focus on Redskins star CB, Josh Norman. He could play a pivotal role in this game on the field, and in your mind.

All-22 look at some of his talents and how to isolate him rather than test him. 

• BSLChrisStoner and jkough1 like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:00 AM

I'm hard pressed to believe the Skins can come to Baltimore and win by 8. The Ravens have question marks, sure, but so do the Skins. I don't see them being able to hold us to 16 without quality pass rushers. And if we can start to get the ground game going this week, I think that might unlock the problem we have with our short passing game and take teams out of this deep zone stuff. 

Jordan Reed is going to be difficult to lock up and Wright needs help over the top. But I'm just not scared of this Redskins team all in all.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#3 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,142 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:10 AM

I'm hard pressed to believe the Skins can come to Baltimore and win by 8. The Ravens have question marks, sure, but so do the Skins. I don't see them being able to hold us to 16 without quality pass rushers. And if we can start to get the ground game going this week, I think that might unlock the problem we have with our short passing game and take teams out of this deep zone stuff. 

Jordan Reed is going to be difficult to lock up and Wright needs help over the top. But I'm just not scared of this Redskins team all in all.

I hope I'm wrong. I mean, it's the NFL. I would have been hard pressed to think the Eagles would beat the Steelers by 31 two weeks ago. 

I think if Stanley is out again it won't take playmaking pass rushers to beat Hurst. 

Ground game getting rolling is definitely key. West was solid and it sounds like Dixon could return. I'd like to get a lot of looks to both. 

I'm not scared of the Redskins, but I can't remember the last easy game the Ravens had. They play everything too close and that means that one decision, one mistake, one bad call by the refs can be the difference. When it's that close, the Ravens are making more mistakes lately. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if by the 4th quarter, Steve Smith punches Josh Norman and negates a scoring opportunity or something. That's the only reason I picked the Redskins. Similar teams us and them, but the Ravens are undisciplined right now. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#4 primetime

primetime

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:14 AM

Definitely agree about the concerns over Wright. He's getting beat way too easily on double moves and what not; particularly last week and it was one of the things that cost us the game. Will Davis has been inactive this season so far; is he fully recovered from his ACL tear or has he been a healthy scratch? Maybe we give Tavon Young some snaps on the outside? I don't know that always shading a safety to Wright's side is going to be good enough.

@primetime667083

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 111,206 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:17 AM

Have to generate more pass rush. Hope Judon is active.

If Stanley and Lewis are out... I want to see corresponding offensive adjustments.

Go with a JUMBO set, with the extra lineman.  Use Juice less as a HB, and more back to block.   Go with 3 TE sets.

Roll out to right.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 111,206 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:18 AM

Baltimore Beatdown: Maxx Williams dealing with knee injury, Darren Waller to make roster?
http://www.baltimore...-to-make-roster

#7 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:19 AM

Let's put it this way. I'll be pissed if the first game that we play this year that isn't within a TD is against the Skins at home. 

And again, Lewis is probably LT if Stanley can't go. I think that was the plan all year...I don't think the Ravens thought Urschel would be pushed this bad for the LG spot. He needs to get onto the field too, beating out Jensen at this stage doesn't seem to be THAT challenging. It'd be nice if we felt like we had the confidence to go Urschel over Zuttah if we needed to at some point. 

I think we might see some Powers or Young on the outside though...it was nice to see them together in some dime sets last week. No need to shy away from that IMO. 

• Filmstudy likes this

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 111,206 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:25 AM

Let's put it this way. I'll be pissed if the first game that we play this year that isn't within a TD is against the Skins at home. 

And again, Lewis is probably LT if Stanley can't go. I think that was the plan all year...I don't think the Ravens thought Urschel would be pushed this bad for the LG spot. He needs to get onto the field too, beating out Jensen at this stage doesn't seem to be THAT challenging. It'd be nice if we felt like we had the confidence to go Urschel over Zuttah if we needed to at some point. 

I think we might see some Powers or Young on the outside though...it was nice to see them together in some dime sets last week. No need to shy away from that IMO. 

If Urschel can't beat out Zuttah at this point at Center, he has no value imo. He doesn't seem strong enough for G.   Zuttah's upside the last few years was being around average. Now he seems to have slipped.  With Urschel's intelligence, Center seems like a natural fit if he has one.

Aren't both Powers and Young considered slot CB's? 

#9 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:29 AM

If we're going to let guys be out there on an island, I don't see any reason why Powers or Wright shouldn't get some looks out there if they are active and Davis is not. My preference remains to put Davis out there and let him press, particularly in the red zone, which he showed good acumen for in the preseason. But what is going on with Wright is just flat out not working...I'd do anything to change it at this stage. 

I do wonder what is up with Urschel. Seems like there should be some reps in there for him somewhere...if he couldn't find his way onto the field last week, I tend to agree with you...what value is he bringing to the roster. Seems like Hurst and Urschel are just being kept around because they CAN play T and C. That's also annoying to me. 

• Filmstudy likes this

#10 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:35 AM

Looks like Williams was sent to the IR today. I'm really interested to see if Waller is active Sunday and how much he might be used. 

#11 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,142 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:01 AM

Looks like Williams was sent to the IR today. I'm really interested to see if Waller is active Sunday and how much he might be used. 

Sucks about Williams. He could be a good player thats just gonna be buried by their depth chart. Pitta and Maxx (and Boyle) signed through 2018.  Gillmore through 2017. Maxx is no more than TE3 next year barring injuries. 

Absolutely couldn't have banked on Pitta returning when Maxx and Boyle were drafted. Waller in that class too as a WR then. Are any of these guys tradable for a pick, or a left tackle who isn't the worst in the league? Maybe like 3rd worst?

@BSLMikeRandall

#12 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,121 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:36 PM

I can see Jordan Reed having a big day and Jackson might get loose for a long TD, but overall, it's hard to see Cousins having a big day given his propensity for mistakes.

If the Ravens don't beat themselves again with penalties, ST blunders and TOs they should win at home.
@gabefergy

#13 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,121 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:37 PM

I generally try to stay away from commenting in weeks where it's Ravens/Skins. It's just tough having multiple fanbases on one board. It'd be like us going over and posting on the Nats message board.

That being said, the skins run defense is pretty awful, if you stick to trying to air it out, I don't know how well that's going to work. Hall being out should be a setback, but this defense overall is a little better than you'd think. They are gritty and tend to make plays at the worst time for the other team. That's probably the only reason we aren't 0-4. If they grind the ball up the middle, you will probably wear us down, and go up a couple scores in the 4th. That being said, the offense is nothing to sleep on either. It has looked all over the place so far this year, but when they really want to they can be flat out scary. Reed over the middle, Jackson deep and Crowder in the slot are 3 steady options that make catches, and you still have Garcon, two other pass catching TE, and Thompson in the backfield to worry about.

I'm expecting a close game, and a Ravens win, but that's only if they feed West early and often and control the clock. If they start trying to air it out with Flacco, I like the odds less and less.

@JeremyMStrain

#14 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,258 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:20 PM

Stanley will be out again...hope his foot isn't some kind of a lisfranc issue.

Lewis at LT and Urschel at LG.
@BSLRobShields

#15 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:35 AM

Stanley will be out again...hope his foot isn't some kind of a lisfranc issue.

Lewis at LT and Urschel at LG.

Lord have mercy on Joe Flacco if Hurst sees the field again.

#16 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,258 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:43 AM

Redskins have some key guys out.
@BSLRobShields

#17 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationAACo

Posted 08 October 2016 - 05:26 PM

I just hope it really is Lewis at LT and Urschel at LG. For Joe's sake.

@Bmore_Irish

#18 Filmstudy

Filmstudy
  • Members
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSection 153

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:39 AM

think we might see some Powers or Young on the outside though...it was nice to see them together in some dime sets last week. No need to shy away from that IMO. 

What was disappointing is that they played a snap of quarter in the first half (3rd and 6, negated by an OH, so it was a win for the defense).  They later played a snap of dime (incomplete pass).  For some reason, that was enough and they played all nickel the rest of the way, even on the final drive as Carr picked them apart down the field.  Twice Orr was picked on during that TD drive when he should not have been on the field.

If the defense is going to be effective versus the better passing teams, they need to have a meaningful commitment to the dime.  

#19 Moose Milligan

Moose Milligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:41 AM

Bashaud Breeland is out for us. Our secondary is depleted. Su'a Cravens, our rookie LB who has contributed as well is out, too. We haven't been able to generate any pass rush.

I expect a shootout here, both teams over 30 points. Our defense is pathetic and it looks like the Ravens can be thrown on.

I think the Ravens win in a squeaker because we're not good on the road, even though we're coming off a big road win against the Giants.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners