BSLJasonBHirschhorn

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:40 AM

Flawed Ravens can contend in flawed AFC North:

http://baltimorespor...awed-afc-north/

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeRandall like this

Jason B. Hirschhorn is an award-winning sports journalist and Pro Football Writers of America member. He has bylines at SB Nation, Sports on Earth, and other outlets. He also serves as the senior writer and editor for Acme Packing Company, a Green Bay Packers blog. Follow him on Twitter: @by_JBH

#2 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,690 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:26 AM

Flawed Ravens can contend in flawed AFC North:

http://baltimorespor...awed-afc-north/

Thought before the season that 5-2 would be reasonable heading into the bye, 6-1 would be fantastic. I'm still standing by that, but if they go 1-3 against the Raiders, Skins, Giants and Jets, that would be a huge fail. 2-2 would actually be disappointing against those 4, but not out of the question. Hope to get the best of Pittsburgh with the bye week to rest and prepare.

Hit the second half of the season at 6-2 and they won't be a bad spot at all. Finishing 4-4 against those tougher teams Puts you at 10-6 which is often good enough. 5-3 finish to get to 11-5 with at least 4 division wins might be needed to take the division. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#3 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,384 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:29 AM

Playoffs?  I just hope we can win a game.

• The Epic likes this

@fuzydunlop

#4 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,126 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:32 AM

Is the team favored right now in the next 4 games? Or I should ask, should they be? 

I think this week tells us a lot. If the offense can really get it going and the offense stays strong against an already humming offense, I'lll be disappointed if we drop more than 1 of the next 3. 

If the defense doesn't bring it, and the offense continues to sputter in key spots and in the red zone, we'll have to keep waiting to see if they turn the corner and we'll be in the same spot that we are now. I think this includes a close win and a loss. I don't expect Oakland to blow us out...coming on the road and traveling across the country for an early game. 

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:22 AM

Is the team favored right now in the next 4 games? Or I should ask, should they be?

I think this week tells us a lot. If the offense can really get it going and the offense stays strong against an already humming offense, I'lll be disappointed if we drop more than 1 of the next 3.

If the defense doesn't bring it, and the offense continues to sputter in key spots and in the red zone, we'll have to keep waiting to see if they turn the corner and we'll be in the same spot that we are now. I think this includes a close win and a loss. I don't expect Oakland to blow us out...coming on the road and traveling across the country for an early game.

I suspect they'll be favored at home and dogs on the road under most circumstances.

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:42 AM

Every team is flawed.  I think the Ravens will improve as the season goes on, which has to happen because the schedule gets tough.

2-2 in the next 4 is not the end of the world but it would be nice to see them do at least 1 better.  The Raiders, IMO are a talented team.

Win this one and I think people may start to see the possibilities.

@mikeghg

#7 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,814 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:31 PM

I hoping they can flaw their way into 5-0, and then they have the swag/rhythm to think that they can beat anyone. If that makes sense.

Hoping by then Flacco and Wallace/Perriman are on the same page, and this offense can stop being polite and start getting REAL.

• BSLChrisStoner and Ricker Says like this

#8 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:16 PM

The one thing I am worried about is the left side of the line.  They were saying on 105.7 that Stanley and Lewis are game time decisions but neither practiced all week and Stanley was in a walking boot earlier.  So if Hurst is is starting along with Big Red then we have got a problem, no matter how poor Oakland's D is.

#9 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 80,722 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

The one thing I am worried about is the left side of the line.  They were saying on 105.7 that Stanley and Lewis are game time decisions but neither practiced all week and Stanley was in a walking boot earlier.  So if Hurst is is starting along with Big Red then we have got a problem, no matter how poor Oakland's D is.

The idea was mentioned earlier about moving Yanda to RT and Wagner to LT.

I really hope they do this instead of going with Hurst.

• Hooded Viper and jkough1 like this
@BSLRobShields

#10 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,126 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:03 PM

Yeah...I mentioned this in the other OL line as a weakness thread. I'd rather have Jensen and Urschel as guards, particularly with Mack coming to town. 

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:29 PM

I would have cut Hurst the last two years, because he is terrible

I am not a fan though of moving everyone to new spots except Zuttah though.  I am afraid that will cause more problems.

Maybe keep the TE over on Hurst side.

Really worried about this game now, because we are going to have a bad player,  or a player who has not played left tackle in the NFL starting at left tackle.

The Ravens organization is real good, but I can not understand how we could not find someone better than James Hurst on the street.

@mikeghg

#12 Filmstudy

Filmstudy
  • Members
  • 88 posts
  • LocationSection 153

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:17 PM

I would have cut Hurst the last two years, because he is terrible

I am not a fan though of moving everyone to new spots except Zuttah though.  I am afraid that will cause more problems.

Maybe keep the TE over on Hurst side.

Really worried about this game now, because we are going to have a bad player,  or a player who has not played left tackle in the NFL starting at left tackle.

The Ravens organization is real good, but I can not understand how we could not find someone better than James Hurst on the street.

It's unacceptable that the Ravens did not look for a backup tackle before the season and after Long walked away wanting guarantees.

I would need to do some real research to determine if there was a better risk than Hurst released by another team, but it's possible the Ravens allowed other frictions, like the small amount of cap money involved with another signing or the "system" knowledge Hurst has, drive the decision.

They went into the season with a backup plan that included moving Lewis from guard to tackle (LT or RT), but that is in trouble with the double injury.  The backup, backup plan (Yanda to RT, Wagner to LT, fill in the middle) potentially destroys several positional advantages.  Hurst at tackle is no backup at all, and the Ravens know it after 2 miserable seasons.

I don't blame Hurst directly for Flacco's injury last season, but if the Ravens intend on passing while he's at LT, they should expect Joe to be knocked down with increased frequency.

#13 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:30 PM

OL a disaster yet again. 3 out of the last 4 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners