#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,346 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:49 PM

BSL: http://baltimorespor...akland-raiders/

In what I think will be a great measuring stick game for both the Raiders and the Ravens, I zero in on the Raiders offense which will bring some unorthodox play calling to town. Will the Ravens defense be ready?

Plus an All-22 look at something pretty unique the Raiders do at times that neutralizes pass rushers.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLAndyGuyader like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 BSLAndyGuyader

BSLAndyGuyader

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:04 PM

GameMap from last year's game in Oakland week 2.

https://stark-meadow...match-ups/39939

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#3 Filmstudy

Filmstudy
  • Members
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSection 153

Posted 30 September 2016 - 11:29 PM

This is a really nice piece, Mike.  

Outstanding pickup on the scheme to take Orakpo out of the play.  It's even more valuable in terms of pass rush neutralization when the Titans aren't showing everyone at the LoS, but LBs that are several yards off. 

As you probably know, I've been a huge proponent of the Ravens playing more dime so it's more difficult to match up on Orr or McClellan in obvious passing situations.  The standing pass rush (only Jernigan or Jernigan/Suggs in 3 pt), while annoying to offensive linemen leaves the Ravens vulnerable in coverage with dropping LBs from LoS.  And my general principle is that more coverage options = more pass rush options.  Said otherwise, the Ravens will be able to scheme for more free runners with the dime on the field.

I don't think it will be Urschel at LG on Sunday.  He's been out forever (since PS1) and Jensen was active ahead of him last week even after Urschel practiced.  Jensen also was solid in 9 snaps in relief of Lewis.  The only alignment I'm not confident about is how they'll assign LT/RT to Lewis and Wagner.  My guess is they'll slide Lewis to LT to have 1 less change, but we will see.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeRandall like this

#4 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,346 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:24 AM

This is a really nice piece, Mike.  

Outstanding pickup on the scheme to take Orakpo out of the play.  It's even more valuable in terms of pass rush neutralization when the Titans aren't showing everyone at the LoS, but LBs that are several yards off. 

As you probably know, I've been a huge proponent of the Ravens playing more dime so it's more difficult to match up on Orr or McClellan in obvious passing situations.  The standing pass rush (only Jernigan or Jernigan/Suggs in 3 pt), while annoying to offensive linemen leaves the Ravens vulnerable in coverage with dropping LBs from LoS.  And my general principle is that more coverage options = more pass rush options.  Said otherwise, the Ravens will be able to scheme for more free runners with the dime on the field.

I don't think it will be Urschel at LG on Sunday.  He's been out forever (since PS1) and Jensen was active ahead of him last week even after Urschel practiced.  Jensen also was solid in 9 snaps in relief of Lewis.  The only alignment I'm not confident about is how they'll assign LT/RT to Lewis and Wagner.  My guess is they'll slide Lewis to LT to have 1 less change, but we will see.

Thanks for the kind words man.

Dime is something I thought we would see more of as well. Especially how frequent we saw it in the preseason. It's as if Anthony Levine hasn't seen the field in that role at all so far. There were a lot of safety and corner blitzes run out of it in the preseason too.

Although now that it counts, the only team I see that runs it with any regularity is the Cardinals. It's above my head, but maybe it takes a certain skill set of guys to run it in situations that aren't strictly against 5 WRs in a two-minute drill scenario. Maybe the Ravens were trying something new, or didn't want to tip too much of their base defense hand. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#5 Filmstudy

Filmstudy
  • Members
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSection 153

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for the kind words man.

Dime is something I thought we would see more of as well. Especially how frequent we saw it in the preseason. It's as if Anthony Levine hasn't seen the field in that role at all so far. There were a lot of safety and corner blitzes run out of it in the preseason too.

Although now that it counts, the only team I see that runs it with any regularity is the Cardinals. It's above my head, but maybe it takes a certain skill set of guys to run it in situations that aren't strictly against 5 WRs in a two-minute drill scenario. Maybe the Ravens were trying something new, or didn't want to tip too much of their base defense hand. 

It doesn't fit together for me the way camp was conducted.

--Anthony Levine practced with the LBs.

--He subbed in with Arthur Brown and lined up in the box, just like a dime.

--They talked about using the dime (it could have been BS, but it was rehearsed and said with conviction by Harbaugh).

--Levine did nothing to dissuade the Ravens from using the dime personally in 23 snaps there.

--Then they moved him elsewhere (nickel and deep safety) and he played well there as well.

I don't doubt that if you went back to watch video of any of the 1999-2008 defensive run (Lewis, Nolan, Ryan as coordinators), you would see how successful those coordiators were in confusing opposing offenses with the dime and quarter as a significant tool in the shed.  I'm just shocked the Ravens would go to such lengths to put the package in place then not use it in a game.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners