#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:22 PM

BSL: http://baltimorespor...ing-blind-side/

This week I look at how the Ravens have adjusted their game plans to account for two rookies on the left side of the O-line. Also an All-22 look at the play that had us breath a sigh of relief when Joe Flacco got up unscathed.

• BSLChrisStoner, primetime and BSLGabeFerguson like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 primetime

primetime

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:45 PM

Good stuff Mike. One thing that jumped out to me about Alex Lewis was his size. And perhaps he looked a bit bigger because he was playing too upright. From what I watched in week 1, he also seemed a bit slow getting back into his stance in pass protection and got his shoulders turned the wrong way a couple times. With that said, I like his physicality and he finishes his blocks. I think given time and working in practice, Lewis will be just fine.

As an aside, I'm just starting to look at Sunday's all 22 but Lewis got away with a blatant hold in the 1st quarter (3:49 left).....on a 3rd down conversion to Chris Moore; Joe was in shotgun and #96 beat Lewis badly to his outside shoulder because he was late getting back and getting his feet set. It looked to me like he was unsure of his assignment because of Cleveland's formation (they had 6 guys on the LOS, 4 with hands down, 2 standing up; 1 in the A gap, 1 over Yanda). One of the guys standing up (the one in the A gap) dropped into coverage; Yanda and Wagner took the guys on the right side; Juice slid to the left to help protect, Zuttah was late to help Lewis and the D tackle got past Lewis. He basically arm barred him to prevent pressure and Joe was able to step up and deliver a pass to Moore.

And to your point, if this wasn't a shotgun snap, Flacco would've been sacked or something worse perhaps.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this
@primetime667083

#3 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,065 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:19 PM

I like this perspective Mike. I think a lot of times we as fans tend to get caught up in something like too many shotgun snaps, personnel choices or what have you, and forget that the coaches have a lot more perspective, information and context as to why they do things. 

It makes perfect sense to put Flacco in more shotgun coming off the ACL injury. I wonder if other QBs had a similar change (Brady/Palmer)?

The downside of shotgun is obviously taking the offense out of running sets and limiting PA, but sometimes you have to weigh pros/cons and make a choice.

@gabefergy

#4 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:24 PM

This offense, and more importantly team, will not be successful without running the ball and PA. Flacco is not that good of a QB. I heard numerous reports during TC about the importance of running the ball and Harbaugh's emphasis to Trestman to balance things out and here we are throwing 40 times a game. 

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,012 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:48 PM

This offense, and more importantly team, will not be successful without running the ball and PA. Flacco is not that good of a QB. I heard numerous reports during TC about the importance of running the ball and Harbaugh's emphasis to Trestman to balance things out and here we are throwing 40 times a game. 

I think looking for patterns after only two games, especially when one involved being down by 3 touchdowns after the first quarter, is a good way to deceive yourself.  45 passes against the Browns and 33 against the Bills.  Gameflow has a lot to do with that.  I don't think simply saying "40 throws a game" is a very fair reflection of the team's gameplans or Harbaugh's emphasis thus far.

#6 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:56 PM

On the play action note, If you never run play action, then you pull it out once a game, doesn't the opposing defense bite that much harder on the run?

They don't necessarily have to do one thing or another. Take what defenses give you. If the RBs are getting 2.0 ypc, and Pitta is open a dozen times with room to run after catch, find him all day. Don't run it for the sake of running it.

I had zero problem with the run/pass ratio Sunday.
  • jkough1 likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#7 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,238 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:58 PM

Is it proven guys stay healthier in the shot gun? Are we conflating, keeping healthy Joe healthy and Trestman's personal preferences? 

There may be a correlation here, but perhaps not causation. 

#8 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,238 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:00 PM

I had zero problem with the run/pass ratio Sunday.

FWIW, I'd have no problem spreading it out and slinging it all over the place. And don't think that the game plan precludes us from winning. 

In the past Joe has certainly been better running it. But hey...you go with the personnel you got. I'd rather have Moore / Perriman / Aiken joining Smith / Wallace on the field than seeing Juice and Forsett / West out there right now. 

Flacco was right to want to get it down the field too. I don't have a problem setting up the run by using the pass either.

#9 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:11 PM

Is it proven guys stay healthier in the shot gun? Are we conflating, keeping healthy Joe healthy and Trestman's personal preferences? 

There may be a correlation here, but perhaps not causation. 

Whether it's by accident, coincidence, or actually planned, I think it's smart to run more shotgun this early, given the circumstances.

That said, since they have done it 51% of the time, if they decide one game not to go shotgun often, if ever. Then you are showing defenses something they wernt expecting. Usually works in your favor to do that.
@BSLMikeRandall

#10 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,238 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:22 PM

Whether it's by accident, coincidence, or actually planned, I think it's smart to run more shotgun this early, given the circumstances.

That said, since they have done it 51% of the time, if they decide one game not to go shotgun often, if ever. Then you are showing defenses something they wernt expecting. Usually works in your favor to do that.

I don't disagree with your point, but I also don't think Trestman is cagey enough to be doing this personally. 

I mean hell...we ran a lot of dime really effectively in the preseason and Pees refuses to flash it in the regular season. 

I think coaches revert to their tendencies out of familiarity than they do for strategy. Really only the elite play callers don't do that. And heck...even some of the elite ones can only do it with the right players and right system and can't find their way to adapt to the right things. 

#11 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:49 PM

Treatman should and likely will be gone after this year

#12 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,065 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:42 PM

I think Trestman has done a very good job, both last season working a scrap heap and so far this season. He is playing to his team's strengths which is all I can ask from a coordinator. There is no reason for him to be gone after this season in less the offense completely falls apart.

@gabefergy

#13 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:46 PM

Treatman should and likely will be gone after this year

Says the guy who didn't watch the Browns game.
@BSLMikeRandall

#14 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,773 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:58 PM

Ken, the film guy from RSR, graded out Wagner as the best lineman for the second week in a row. Thought Stanley improved and Lewis was solid enough.
@BSLRobShields

#15 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,773 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:59 PM

The running game absolutely has to get better.

Looking forward to getting a healthy Dixon in the lineup.
@BSLRobShields

#16 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,238 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:11 AM

I'm starting to wonder if we're going to see even more of the deep passing game from here. If teams keep blitzing us and stuffing the run we're either going to see more one on one's on the outside or lots of space over the middle for Pitta to work. 

Joe's been pretty effective getting the ball down field so far this year and a few under throws less and he's really humming out there. Hopefully he's seeing the overthrows a bit on tape and starts hanging it up a bit more and letting his guys go get it. With the speed he's got on the field, you've got to think he'll get more confident in throwing it over the top in one on one situations. 

#17 primetime

primetime

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 23 September 2016 - 04:21 PM

I'm anxious to see a healthy Dixon out there but I don't think he's going to be a panacea to the issues with running game. Will he be able to get outside and make some things happen with elusiveness and break away speed? Absolutely.

However, the problem with the running game falls on the offensive line. At this point in the young season, the OLine is too often getting beat. Simply put, our big guys up front are not winning their battles consistently, not at all changing the LOS; thus not creating enough opportunities for either Forsett or West to really get cranked up. Even though Dixon teased us with his ability in the preseason, if the OLine is getting pushed into the backfield consistently still in Week 4, 5 and 6; it's not going to matter who's getting carries.

The poor run blocking of the OLine is why we've seen more reliance on moving the ball through the air and why, when we have run the ball, it's been shotgun tosses, misdirection pitches, a jet sweep/end around, etc. In other words, we haven't been able to line up, put a hat on a hat and beat the opposing DLine.

My hope is that the line gels as the season wears on as the guys get more snaps together and as the rookie left side of the line gains experience. My fear is that we see a 2013-esque performance from the line and the rushing attack never gets on track.

@primetime667083

#18 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,238 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:21 PM

I can't remember where I read it, but JO was saying that the issue is that on every play a different guy is blowing the whole play. It's not the same guy consistently, but it happens often enough that it's really hurting the run game. 

Hopefully communication and time can help with some of that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners