#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,137 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:46 PM

BSL: http://baltimorespor...ts-2016-ravens/

Chris, Mike, Gabe, Andy and Shawn, answer questions pertaining to the upcoming season of Ravens football. 

Give it a read, then lend your answers to  some of our questions. 

• BSLChrisStoner, jkough1 and BSLGabeFerguson like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,137 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:55 PM

1. Bigger impact on their side of the ball. Mike Wallace or Eric Weddle?

2. Most impactful rookie not named Ronnie Stanley?

3. Ravens comeback player of the year? (Flacco, Forsett, Smith Sr., Suggs, Zuttah, Perriman, Pitta)

4. Expectations of Devin Hester?

5. Which issue from the 2015 team needs to be fixed the most for a better 2016? (Not counting injuries)

6. Consensus is the AFC North standings going Steelers, Bengals, Ravens, Browns. Agree, disagree?

7. One strength that gets the Ravens back to the playoffs and one weakness that will hold them out?

Predictions:

Ravens regular season record

Ravens offensive and defensive players of the year

NFL offensive and defensive rookies of the year

NFL offensive and defensive players of the year

Super Bowl 51 matchup

@BSLMikeRandall

#3 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,343 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:26 PM

I thought Gabe's point about this division being closer than it looks was spot on. Pitt is goign to disappoint a lot of folks this year I think...Already fighting injuries and suspensions. Brown / Bell / Ben can never seem to be together for a playoff run. Green and Dupree down early. Do Moats and James Jones scare anyone on defense? Have you looked at the secondary? They'll be good on offense, but I think that offense will struggle more in the first three to six weeks than people anticipate. 

1. Weddle, only because there will be so many options at receiver this year and on offense. 

2. Correa, I just think he'll be on the field the most. I'm hoping he's the Swiss Army knife piece Pees was holding back in the preseason. 

3. Flacco if he doesn't count Suggs. Suggs looked really good in that preseason game. And as long as he stays healthy, years he comes to camp in shape, have been really good years. I think he's going to have an impact year. 

4. High expectations of Hester. Don't discount the fact that a touch back will net us 5 more total yards of field position this year. Basically, on any kick off we need go 25-30 yards now and we're in FG range. Tucker's big leg and long distance kicking accuracy could be a bigger deal this year. 

5. Defensive aggressiveness

6. Disagree on consensus standings. I like the division to be Bengals / Ravens / Steelers. I think the Steelers are vastly overrated this year. 

7. Pass Offense, if we can really get it going it'll open up the running game and this offense could hum. Pass Defense. Gotta find a way to either consistently get to the QB or be strong on the back end. If we can't do one or the other, this team will be sunk by the number of solid QBs we face this year. 

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeRandall like this

#4 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,117 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:30 PM

Great stuff guys, and a big thanks to Mike for putting it all together.
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this
@gabefergy

#5 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:37 PM

I think this team is going to surprise people.

The biggest issue, as Chris pointed out, is the lack of game changing talent....or, to put it better, proven game changing talent.

But, I think there are a lot of things to like.  The secondary and pass rush should be better...if they are, turnovers will likely follow.

I did a fantasy draft last night and all the Ravens were seemingly taken.  What struck me is that there are a lot of weapons but no one know who the hell to trust.  You have injured guys, experienced guys, inexperienced guys...you have a group of TEs that could all get hurt or all be good.  You should have excellent ST. 

There are some key guys...Jimmy Smith, Ricky Wagner, Mosley....those 3 jump out to me as 3 guys that really need to improve from last year, at least over a full season. 

When will Doom be back and how effective will his foot allow him to be?  That is another big thing to watch.

There are a lot of pieces to like on this team...but are there any to love?  To me, the season will come down to that (outside of injury, which is the case for everyone).  How many players step up and really make you notice them?

• BSLMikeRandall and BSLGabeFerguson like this
@BSLRobShields

#6 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,343 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:10 AM

There are a lot of pieces to like on this team...but are there any to love?  To me, the season will come down to that (outside of injury, which is the case for everyone).  How many players step up and really make you notice them?

This was kind of my point in another thread about the 2010 - 2012 teams as well though. We didn't have a ton of game breaking talent. Sure there was Rice, Boldin, Flacco, Mason. But is that demonstrably different than Wallace, Smith, Flacco, Forsett? 

Defensively, yeah we had a prime Ngata and fading Lewis/Reed. Suggs, JJ, Kruger. Is that demonstrably different than what we have now? Williams, Mosley, Weddle. Suggs, Doom, Z. Smith. 

I take your point well though, we don't know where the good is going to come from this year. 

Depth is an underrated part of "forcing teams to scheme" that Chris was talking about. The problem is one that nickle has brought up before, in order to take advantage of depth, you've got scheme and coach really well. This season might ride on our coordinators as much as it has in a long time. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners