• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,666 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:54 AM

I initially posted the link to the Kaepernick story, so I'll take responsibility for igniting the discussion here. 

When DJ correctly called me on it, I replied that I would stick to discussion of the business side of Kaepernick's decision vs. the social side... but others ran with the larger discussion.

Since I was the one who had initially added the link, I figured I needed to allow that discussion to take place.

The ramification of that, is that Sam has left the site.

It's a horrible blow to us, as Sam has really had as much positive impact to the site as anyone.

We're lucky to still have Shane as part of what we are trying to do, but there can only be so much on these guys shoulders.  (Especially since the large majority of their efforts have been on a volunteer basis.)

I don't have their technical expertise.

So, two things...

1) If Sam is driven to leave by these type of discussions.... as someone who has invested a lot of his time, and energy here... it seems reasonable to me that others (lurkers, registered but in-active posters) have similar takes.

2) If you have an IT background, and are interested in contributing to the site in that regard...  we could definitely use your help. Often times (weeks at a time) there is nothing to do.... but then all heck breaks out at random moments, and that knowledge / assistance is very helpful.

I'm extremely appreciative of the help Sam has provided to the site, and deeply bothered by his departure.

#2 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,398 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:58 AM

Shut down the discussion then, might as well not blur the lines and keep this matter black and white. When the door remains cracked open, it's hard not to opine when others are. I feel I remained respectful and much more toned down with this topic as opposed to similar topics in the past, but Sam - If I offended you at all, sincere apologies on my part.

Sam will be missed - one of a kind.

• McNulty likes this
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#3 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:31 AM

Tio, Sammy Birdland.

#4 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,003 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:36 PM

I'm surprised he would leave over that thread, one in which he didn't even partake in. 

He hasn't been posting recently anyway, right? Maybe he was on the verge of leaving anyway.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,666 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:39 PM

I'm surprised he would leave over that thread, one in which he didn't even partake in. 

He hasn't been posting recently anyway, right? Maybe he was on the verge of leaving anyway.

He hasn't... due to past instances of similar discussions. This was a last straw.

#6 Russ

Russ

• Moderators
  • 8,915 posts
  • LocationNaughtyham

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:42 PM

He hasn't... due to past instances of similar discussions. This was a last straw.

Is this because of the discussions themselves or not liking certain posters' viewpoints?  If it's the discussion themselves then that's easily remedied, but if it's because he doesn't agree and wants to be among like-minded people, that's another issue entirely.

#7 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,003 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:42 PM

It's interesting to me that people get so upset at things they don't have to read and aren't in any way a personal attack on them.

I do understand that politics can be nasty, though.

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:47 PM

It's interesting to me that people get so upset at things they don't have to read and aren't in any way a personal attack on them.

I do understand that politics can be nasty, though.

Not going to speak for Sammy, but I can see how this discussion in particular is a personal attack on some people.

#9 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,003 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:49 PM

Not going to speak for Sammy, but I can see how this discussion in particular is a personal attack on some people.

Well there were actual personal attacks.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,666 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:51 PM

Is this because of the discussions themselves or not liking certain posters' viewpoints?  If it's the discussion themselves then that's easily remedied, but if it's because he doesn't agree and wants to be among like-minded people, that's another issue entirely.

I don't know, and I think it's reasonable to say that distinction can blur.

The bottom-line is that I said it was our intent to keep those discussions off the board....   I ignited the latest round by linking to the article... and for whatever the exact reason, the result is that the cumulative effect of those discussions is that this is no longer a place he enjoys.

#11 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,524 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:58 PM

That sucks. Sorry to see Sammy go for good. Sorry if anything I specifically said was part of his decision.
@BSLMikeRandall

#12 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:10 PM

Well there were actual personal attacks.

You are a trip.

Sammy seemed like a good dude. Hope he pops his head up at sometime in the future.

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,003 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:22 PM

You are a trip.

Sammy seemed like a good dude. Hope he pops his head up at sometime in the future.

There weren't personal attacks? 

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,057 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:10 PM

I haven't been involved in that thread, but I have read it, and I think for the most part it's been a pretty reasonable discussion from both sides.  Neither side is really giving any ground, and that's fine, but for the most part I think the back-and-forth has remained somewhat grounded.  If Sammy left because he didn't want to see any political talk at all, I think that is understandable, it's definitely crossed that line to be well beyond sports talk.  But I don't think there has been a highly off-putting level of vitriol in that thread.  Whatever his reason, I hope he reconsiders.

• BSLRobShields, DuffMan and Markus like this

#15 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,741 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:13 PM

I haven't been involved in that thread, but I have read it, and I think for the most part it's been a pretty reasonable discussion from both sides.  Neither side is really giving any ground, and that's fine, but for the most part I think the back-and-forth has remained somewhat grounded.  If Sammy left because he didn't want to see any political talk at all, I think that is understandable, it's definitely crossed that line to be well beyond sports talk.  But I don't think there has been a highly off-putting level of vitriol in that thread.  Whatever his reason, I hope he reconsiders.

Agree with all of this.

@BSLRobShields

#16 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:19 PM

I haven't been involved in that thread, but I have read it, and I think for the most part it's been a pretty reasonable discussion from both sides. Neither side is really giving any ground, and that's fine, but for the most part I think the back-and-forth has remained somewhat grounded. If Sammy left because he didn't want to see any political talk at all, I think that is understandable, it's definitely crossed that line to be well beyond sports talk. But I don't think there has been a highly off-putting level of vitriol in that thread. Whatever his reason, I hope he reconsiders.

There hasn't been off putting vitriol between the posters. However, I understand how someone could read some of the posts and take it as a personal attack on their thoughts and beliefs.

#17 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,003 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:05 PM

You were saying?

#18 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:14 PM

My work computer died over the weekend and I spent all day getting back up to speed.  So I missed it all.

Thank goodness.

#19 RampageBassoon

RampageBassoon

Token Female Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 662 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:18 PM

There have been times I also wanted to leave the board. Maybe for the same reasons as Sammy, maybe not. I've def taken prolonged breaks though. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,381 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:55 PM

I try to make cordial discussion. If I didn't, I apologize.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners