#21 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,215 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:36 AM

Loved it. Can't wait for S3.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#22 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,713 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:15 AM

Just started watching Season 1 this weekend.  3 episodes in, I'm sold!

#23 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,900 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:46 AM

DON'T READ IF YOU'RE NOT DONE. 

YOU WON'T GET MOST OF WHAT I'M SAYING, BUT STILL. DON'T.

I loved this season. I thought the best thing was that the new season 2 characters felt like they had been there all along. Really well done. Some real, REAL stand-out performances. Hopper, Max's brother, and Dustin, especially. 

I really want more information into Max's family. That was a pretty cool story that obviously has a THERE there, but they didn't go too far into it. 

I liked the episode with her sister, but I just think it was badly-timed. They put it right in between a cliffhanger, which felt really Not Without My Anus to me. I kinda wish it was a few episodes sooner. Establish that part of the storyline and move forward. 

The Bob Escape Scene might be my favorite scene in the show. Literally from his deciding to trip the breaker...all the way to where he sees Will's mom at the door. That was really good thriller TV. 

• Hooded Viper likes this

#24 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,646 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:13 PM

Max's brother is going to bang Mike's mom next season, right?

@BSLRobShields

#25 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,900 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:40 PM

Max's brother is going to bang Mike's mom next season, right?

Hell she might be pregnant with his kid NOW. She was ready from moment one.

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,989 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:45 AM

Just finished season 2 over the weekend.

A show with a ton of high expectations after an amazing first season, really hard to live up to that but I thought they did a fantastic job.  Dustin was my favorite part of the season, they really seemed to take advantage of his personality and deliver a lot of funny moments without him being comedy relief.  I don't know if it was just story-driven or if they wanted to use the other kids more, but Mike definitely was in the back seat and Dustin, Lucas, and Will got a lot more to do than last year.  Worked out great. 

Sean Astin and especially Paul Reiser were great cast additions and both actors did a really good job.  Max was cool as well.

Only two minor complaints for me.  First is to agree with others that episode 7 didn't work, nor do I think that it was necessary for the story.  I don't think El/Jane learning to use her anger to heighten her powers really needed an entire episode of screentime.  On the other hand, it was a bonus episode, as we got 9 eps instead of 8 like season one, so I'll take that episode if it was a full episode dedicated to her sister versus an 8 episode season.  Second, is that Max's brother was way too anonymously evil.  They just barely hinted at his reasons for being such a dick early, and then showed an interaction with his father late, but I still think it was a bit of lazy writing.  Certainly possible they use both of these complaints better in future seasons and that the setup for them will then make more sense.

• Hooded Viper likes this

#27 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,713 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:21 PM

Just started watching Season 1 this weekend.  3 episodes in, I'm sold!

Took me about 8-10 days to watch Season 1.  I liked it alot, although something seemed off to me towards the end of the season.  Can't put my finger on it but I feel like I enjoyed the build more than the payoff if that makes sense.  I did enjoy the fight scene in the house though when they were trying to catch the monster, that was awesome!

Watched the first episode of season 2 last night.  I didn't even realize that Sean Astin was playing the new BF.  Halfway through the episode my wife remarked "hey isn't that Rudy".  My response was "you mean Samwise the Brave?" (yeah I'm a Tolkien nerd).  

I'm not in a rush to binge through season 2 so it will probably take me a week or two to finish.

#28 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,900 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:24 PM

Second, is that Max's brother was way too anonymously evil.  They just barely hinted at his reasons for being such a dick early, and then showed an interaction with his father late, but I still think it was a bit of lazy writing.  Certainly possible they use both of these complaints better in future seasons and that the setup for them will then make more sense.

I'm hoping that the set-up goes somewhere, but for right now, yeah, it seemed pretty lazy. He was just a weird dick played by a guy much old than his character.

#29 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,713 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:58 AM

The wife and I finished up Season 2 on Christmas night,  watched the last 2 episodes after the kids turned in (Samwise the Brave indeed).  Like previous comments, I wasn't a big fan of episode 7.  We went about a week after watching episode 6 and we put on episode 7 a few days before Christmas.  I was a bit annoyed because after waiting a week or so to watch to get a throwaway  episode was frustrating.  I'm all about character/world building but the timing for that one was bad, the interactions between 11 and 8 were interesting I just wouldn't have put that episode there.  Having said that I think I like season 2 more than 1.  I really enjoy the writing and interaction of the kids.   While at times their actions are frustrating it's believable for a bunch of middle school kids.

#30 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:07 AM

For a darker, more complex, German version of Stranger Things, check out Dark on Netflix. I thought season one was amazing.

@DaKittenz

#31 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,032 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:36 AM

Just finished this both seasons off. Binged it in under a week. Hooked right from the start. 

Not much else to add that hasn't already been said. Great performances by all. Love the soundtrack. 

Only thing I'd say about the gripes some have:

The throwaway episode. I don't think it was that at all. The main thing I took away from that episode was how key it was for 11's character development. Any good writing drives development of characters. She couldn't be locked in the cabin all the time. She got out. Did some normal human things like take a trip without incident. She grew up in those moments away. She had her sister and "girl talk" for once, whereas Hop was still dressing her in overalls. The episode also showed her weakness when she wasn't able to kill that guy. This probably becomes something that happens more and more as she evolves into more of a normal human. As normal as she can be. Also lets you know there are others like her out there. Maybe more of them show up in later seasons of the season. 

Max's brother being a dick for no reason. I read they simply wanted to introduce a human antagonist. Originally they thought Steve would be that guy for the series but his character was revered after season 1, so they scraped that idea going forward and introduced the new guy.

My gripe, how has Social Services not been called on Mike and Nancy's parents? Most negligent parents ever. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#32 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,713 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:38 AM

First trailer for Season 3!

https://www.youtube....h?v=YEG3bmU_WaI

#33 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,633 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:22 PM

On the last episode of the season. It's good, but still not living up to the first season for me.

#34 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,032 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:21 AM

Almost done season 3, and it is far better than season 2. Season 1 of a lot of shows are usually near the top. 

ranking 1, 3, 2, or 3, 1, 2. I won't argue. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#35 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 8,487 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 July 2019 - 02:18 PM

Half way through the new season. I agree it’s better than last season but they’re all structured so similarly. Fun show, never gonna be one of my favorites.

#36 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,646 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 July 2019 - 05:23 PM

Finished it last night. Really enjoyed the season and was surprised by the ending although I feel I should have seen it coming.

In do wonder if they ever go with a different main storyline than these creatures and the hole to the other side.
@BSLRobShields

#37 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 8,487 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:56 PM

I think the creators only want to do four seasons so the next would be the last. I'm sure Netflix will push for more.

#38 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,646 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:04 PM

Seasons are so short episode wise too. Kind of annoying.
@BSLRobShields

#39 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,032 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:21 PM

I loved season 3. Mainly because the nostalgia and the work it takes to put all the details in place. But the city of Hawkins has been turned “upside down” and right side up and infiltrated with all kinds of beasts. If the next season takes place in Hawkins and no one seems to mind that this town is at it again..... I might be done. How anyone lives in this town still is beyond me.
@BSLMikeRandall

#40 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,215 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:05 AM

I liked S3, it's a mindless fun show so I don't nitpick the small details, but I agree there's not many places they can go after this.

Still, the last episode felt somewhat left wide-open in terms of where the characters ended up.

Feels like they expect to be back for at least one more season.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners