39 replies to this topic

#1 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,215 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:00 AM

So my wife and I knocked out Stranger Things in its entirety yesterday. It's on Netflix, and just 8 episodes about 43 mins long so pretty easy to watch in one sitting. A perfect combination of an 80's Spielberg film with Stephen King characters and situations. I watched the entire series with a smile on my face. I'm not sure if they'll take this into subsequent seasons but even if they don't, it's pretty much a perfect mini-series.

• BSLChrisStoner and fishteacher like this

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,271 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:15 PM

Couple episodes in...  definitely 80s nostalgia, down to the graphics.

#3 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 8,487 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:26 PM

It's really good.

#4 Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:27 PM

So my wife and I knocked out Stranger Things in its entirety yesterday. It's on Netflix, and just 8 episodes about 43 mins long so pretty easy to watch in one sitting. A perfect combination of an 80's Spielberg film with Stephen King characters and situations. I watched the entire series with a smile on my face. I'm not sure if they'll take this into subsequent seasons but even if they don't, it's pretty much a perfect mini-series.

My wife and I did it in two sittings (split 6/2) but otherwise agree with everything Sean said here. Really fun, really well made. Even has Winona Ryder to keep the 80s vibe going. Her best role in forever.

#5 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,633 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:27 PM

Renewed for Season 2.  Interested to see where they take it.

#6 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,208 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:22 PM

Renewed for Season 2.  Interested to see where they take it.

Lots of opportunity with the "upside-down." The kids are great actors, Winona is very strong. Hopper can carry a lot, and Modine is a good villian to waver. I assume he is not dead.

#7 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,208 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:27 PM

Maybe Barb should have gotten more closure, but I have read a lot about how her destiny was an injustice. Team Barb. Whatever. Its a scifi series. Red shirts got knocked off left and right.

#8 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,215 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:51 AM

The actress who plays Barb is actually hot. Didn't see that coming.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#9 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:16 PM

Great show. My 10th grade English teacher had "freaky Friday's", if everyone handed in all of their assignments Monday through Thursday, we got to spend the whole Friday class watching The Twilight Zone. 99.9% positive we would have gotten to watch it regardless. This had a strong Twilight Zone feel to it along with a bit of The Goonies. Which, is a great thing.

• fishteacher likes this

#10 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,139 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:38 PM

Just finished this show...Loved every second of it.  Love the 80s nostalgic feel, as it takes place in the 80s, and I loved the open-ended finish about Barb...no telling what has really happened to her, as well as Matthew Modine's character..man, he's gotten hold since Full Metal Jacket...then I did the math...this is 30 years after!  Crazy how time flies!  I liked all the kid actors mostly and reminded me of my childhood...man how I miss that.  Strong show, Ryder was great, hard to believe she is probably 50 now or close to it...can't wait for the next season to see where they take it.  

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#11 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,215 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:54 PM

Concept art for what happened to Barb here.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,271 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:16 PM

#13 Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:43 PM

Apparently there is an online theory (jokingly) that Jean Ralphio from Parks and Rec is the son of Steve from this show. Which is the greatest fan theory I've ever heard.

#14 Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:46 PM

893200a080a022a8bb4f97df040ee927.jpg

Hysterical.

http://uproxx.com/tv...-parks-and-rec/
  • BSLChrisStoner and Dupin like this

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,989 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:01 AM

Just started this last night.  Watched first 3 episodes.  Really enjoying it so far.  Wife is pretty skittish about scary movies, 50/50 at this point that she makes it through with me all the way.

#16 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,646 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:20 AM

Just finished this last night. It was good. I didn't think the little girl died. Where they take it from here will be interesting.
@BSLRobShields

#17 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 8,487 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:47 PM

Season 2 - still very good. Mines a lot of the same territory as the first season but also introduces some new faces and has some standout moments. Mainly just a reminder why I liked the show in the first place before the hype got out of control and made me think it was overrated.

#18 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,633 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:12 PM

Very strong development of Steve this season.  I thought the new characters were pretty decent, I really loved Sean Astin in this.

• BSLBobPhelan likes this

#19 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,646 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:41 AM

I have heard some people didn’t like this season compared to season 1. Not really sure why.

Good season imo. Could have done without an entire episode about 11s sister and her friends but overall, thought it was very good.
  • BSLBobPhelan and Dupin like this
@BSLRobShields

#20 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,633 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:27 AM

I have heard some people didn’t like this season compared to season 1. Not really sure why.

Good season imo. Could have done without an entire episode about 11s sister and her friends but overall, thought it was very good.

Agreed, I also thought episode 7 was very disjointed compared to the rest of the season.  They're probably setting up the final two seasons in some way, but I don't feel like they needed to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners