Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,934 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:23 PM

So what's this thread all about?
  No game tonight, venting.   The need for more some new blood / posters here.
For me, I've long thought Rob just simply can't admit he's wrong, and that his "analysis" was intentional so he can always have the other side of his argument (the side he doesn't believe) to fall back on if he is indeed wrong. If that's not his intent, fine, I apologize. And I said I'm done so I am. But that for me is what this was about. And the post Nickle bumped... I mean it's absurd. Even if he hadn't kept it up he was NEVER getting cut by June. But if others were wrong about that kind of thing, he's had no issue calling them stupid, telling them they have no clue, telling them it's an idiotic take, etc. None of us is did that to him even though we knew it was an asinine thing to say, and then he comes back defending himself fully. Just crazy to me, but I read into things too much in general so I guess I'm wrong about all this and he's just being thorough.
  • bnickle, RShack and CA-ORIOLE like this
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#62 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,099 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:46 PM

You should hand out flyers in front of Oriole Park before a game

Nestor did that when he first started...  I try not to emulate lol.

• Markus likes this

#63 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,099 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:50 PM

But if others were wrong about that kind of thing, he's had no issue calling them stupid, telling them they have no clue, telling them it's an idiotic take, etc.

This point I have no issue with.  Sometimes these conversations are necessary.

#64 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:51 PM

Nestor did that when he first started... I try not to emulate lol.

Ah man. I so wanted you to lead a 'Release The Birds' rally.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#65 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,341 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:18 PM

Eh...I think if you're trying to get more posters onto your board, you can't in one breath say, we need fresh blood! But then in another breath say when people say stupid stuff, I'll let Rob go crazy, call them names and mostly just be an ahole because it's "necessary". 

If you want more users, make the one person that can be the meanest be a little bit more moderated, sure it's better than OH, but that doesn't mean it's optimal. It'd be one thing if he was just someone that posted, but the fact that he's your right hand guy or very much appears to be, IMO, really does hurt you...And whether you care about the optics or narrative or not, it definitely looks like you're just standing up for your buddy in this instead of trying to moderate him. 

Personally, it definitely keeps me from posting more and being more active...

#66 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,934 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:23 PM

But if others were wrong about that kind of thing, he's had no issue calling them stupid, telling them they have no clue, telling them it's an idiotic take, etc.
To be clear, do you mean these conversations as in what we're having right now? Or the conversations where Rob goes ape on someone?
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#67 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,099 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:24 PM

To be clear, do you mean these conversations as in what we're having right now? Or the conversations where Rob goes ape on someone?

As in an airing of grievances.

#68 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,934 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:31 PM

Agreed.

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,099 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:37 PM

Eh...I think if you're trying to get more posters onto your board, you can't in one breath say, we need fresh blood! But then in another breath say when people say stupid stuff, I'll let Rob go crazy, call them names and mostly just be an ahole because it's "necessary". 

If you want more users, make the one person that can be the meanest be a little bit more moderated, sure it's better than OH, but that doesn't mean it's optimal. It'd be one thing if he was just someone that posted, but the fact that he's your right hand guy or very much appears to be, IMO, really does hurt you...And whether you care about the optics or narrative or not, it definitely looks like you're just standing up for your buddy in this instead of trying to moderate him. 

Personally, it definitely keeps me from posting more and being more active...

I've made my opinion clear here, but you've partly misinterpreted me.

My point was that an airing of grievances is sometimes necessary. Some people had some complaints they wanted to say - me included - and those comments were made.

As far as the optics with Rob...  being flippant isn't my intent here, but I realize that is how it may come off. My apologies for that.

When you and others have left the board, you've been missed.... but the site will continue on regardless.

I'm playing a long game, and while I respect that Rob is an issue for many people....  it's a complete non-issue for me.  I have much larger issues to concern myself with then the inner working of board relations as the site currently exists.

That (board relations) is like issue #369,996 on my list of concerns. The only reason it's that high at all is that it can be a distraction.

#70 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,194 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:41 PM

I opened up this thread for the first time since yesterday while I started eating ice cream.  Great timing.

@fuzydunlop

#71 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,788 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:51 PM

This is why you're a dishonest ahole Rob. I provided a lot of information and analysis in that thread with respect to Britton (and that was just the game thread). Yes, it involved guys laying of his sinker out of the zone but it is far more complicated and detailed than just that as it involved his mechanics/release point, falling behind in the count and the very fine window he has on one pitch. You responded that this is no different than guys swinging at Randy Johnson's slider out of the zone, to which I responded that it was completely different because Randy Johnson threw a slider and a FB and that those pitches complemented each other in many ways. I also noted that Randy Johnson was able to use both of his pitches across multiple planes while Britton primarily is a one pitch  pitcher relying on one plane. I stated that Britton need to make some adjustments and I thought things might no be so easy for him going forward (which I actually think he did after that game throwing more sliders, pitches up in the zone to get ahead in the count, and in my opinion tailing his 2 seam FB a little more at times). Now you can call that BS, completely disagree with it ..whatever...I don't really care. I've certainly been wrong about shit. 

One thing you can't do is compare it to the ZERO analysis you have supposedly provided here which was none and now is supposedly backtracking to what if Alvarez can't hit RHP as the RH DH as opposed what if he just can't hit I guess. Spot on bullshit if you ask me.  

Sorry, I didn't really see that as analysis and reason to think guys are learning anything about him.  Not trying to be a dick but to me, that is a quick observation with very little basis, outside of a small sampling of innings when he was obviously battling command issues.

I am sorry, i do acknowledge you said those things but I just don't see that as anything different than pointing out the issues Alvarez was having.

@BSLRobShields

#72 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,788 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:53 PM

This is the definition of hot take. 

It was also likely a true statement.  Whether it was early June or they gave him to mid June, there is no way his job was safe if he continued to be awful in the ONLY thing he was brought here to do.

There is no way that is an incorrect statement.  Now, maybe they would have continued to run with him, I don't know but given how quickly they cut bait with proven guys last year, there is a lot of basis for my point.

@BSLRobShields

#73 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:57 PM

233313fc41ee3a63_tumblr_mgdqksNdiZ1ro7sb

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#74 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:19 PM

Sorry, I didn't really see that as analysis and reason to think guys are learning anything about him.  Not trying to be a dick but to me, that is a quick observation with very little basis, outside of a small sampling of innings when he was obviously battling command issues.

I am sorry, i do acknowledge you said those things but I just don't see that as anything different than pointing out the issues Alvarez was having.

You didn't point out any issues Alvarez was having. You pointed out he wasn't hitting well and if he didn't start to hit well he'd likely be DFA'd soon (which probably wasn't  even close to being true in itself). The equivalent of this would have been me saying "Britton is struggling a bit lately. He better get better or he won't be as good as he's been." It's fucking meaningless. It doesn't matter that you disagree with what I said, or don't see my analysis as meaningful. 

#75 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,788 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:32 PM

You didn't point out any issues Alvarez was having. You pointed out he wasn't hitting well and if he didn't start to hit well he'd likely be DFA'd soon (which probably wasn't even close to being true in itself). The equivalent of this would have been me saying "Britton is struggling a bit lately. He better get better or he won't be as good as he's been." It's fucking meaningless. It doesn't matter that you disagree with what I said, or don't see my analysis as meaningful.

And it does matter because you were doing something similar to me but you are bitching about me doing it.
@BSLRobShields

#76 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:42 PM

And it does matter because you were doing something similar to me but you are bitching about me doing it.

I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. 

Alvarez's sole job was to be the DH against RHP. There was very little reason to think he would not be ok at doing that job. 

#77 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,788 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:55 PM

I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

Alvarez's sole job was to be the DH against RHP. There was very little reason to think he would not be ok at doing that job.

There was also little reason that the league was figuring out Britton too but it didn't stop you from wanting to discuss it.

And there was reason to think Alvarez was going to do it...because well...he wasn't.
@BSLRobShields

#78 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:35 PM

There was also little reason that the league was figuring out Britton too but it didn't stop you from wanting to discuss it.

And there was reason to think Alvarez was going to do it...because well...he wasn't.

Apples and oranges with completely different contexts ... and at least I provided an analysis/context. 

Maybe you shouldn't be dogging bnickle so much, if that's all you got here.   

#79 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,758 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:56 AM

I'm playing a long game, and while I respect that Rob is an issue for many people....  it's a complete non-issue for me.  I have much larger issues to concern myself with then the inner working of board relations as the site currently exists.

That (board relations) is like issue #369,996 on my list of concerns. 

Except when your poor, misunderstood pal is getting picked on by a few meanies... which happens because he treats people like dirt... constantly claims to be correct about everything with iffy-at-best justification, while treating other opinions as idiotic.  

When somebody's had enough, it's not issue #369,996 for you any more.  You chime in and tell everybody they're being unfair and are at fault themselves...  

You're excellent about not enforcing a lot of BS, but you do lay it on pretty thick to deflect the notion of Rob having any real  responsibility...  he's just "opinionated"...  others are being unfair to him and have "issues"...

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

#80 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,788 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:25 AM

Apples and oranges with completely different contexts ... and at least I provided an analysis/context.

Lol

What exactly did you provide that I didn't? Tell me what analysis you wanted?
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners