• Moderators
  • 7,073 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:45 AM

BSL: Post UFC 201 Thoughts & 5 Fights To Watch In August

http://baltimorespor...c-201-thoughts/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@PhelanToTweet

Host of Phelan to Communicate - a podcast about Movies, TV, Video Games, and MMA

#2 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 7,073 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:28 PM

Podcast talking about UFC 201 and previewing UFC 202 among other things: http://theredboxrepo...port-episode-7/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@PhelanToTweet

Host of Phelan to Communicate - a podcast about Movies, TV, Video Games, and MMA

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 100,327 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:03 PM

Bleacher Report: UFC 202: 4 Storylines for McGregor vs. Diaz Fight Card
http://bleacherrepor...diaz-fight-card

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 100,327 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:23 AM

Sports on Earth: McGregor vs. Diaz II: Bad Blood

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 100,327 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:13 PM

LA Times: Updates
http://www.latimes.c...-htmlstory.html

#6 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 7,073 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:55 PM

Conor wins one of the best big time fights in the sports history. Showed the heart of a champion, almost finished in the third. Lived up to the hype big time. Something tells me this trilogy will be coming to a PPV near you soon.
@PhelanToTweet

#7 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:53 PM

Conor wins one of the best big time fights in the sports history. Showed the heart of a champion, almost finished in the third. Lived up to the hype big time. Something tells me this trilogy will be coming to a PPV near you soon.

As great as Conor is at featherweight. I think the fact that it takes everything he has to beat a mid-level journeyman at welterweight kind of dashes any hopes he may have had at competing for a championship in three weight divisions. 

#8 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 7,073 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:06 PM

While Diaz is a (upper) mid level journeyman, styles make fights and he is the worst style match-up possible for McGregor. Lightweight is Conor's ideal weight class, I agree he would struggle much more often at 170 but I think he can be the man at 155 for a while if he chooses to be. But it is the deepest division in the sport, plenty of tough match-ups.

@PhelanToTweet

#9 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,122 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:55 AM

Diaz is barely a top 7-8 lightweight. Connor is maybe top 5 there. Could certainly win the belt, but I wouldn't expect him to be some dominant champion

#10 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,122 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:57 AM

And Diaz isn't the worst matchup for him. The worst matchup is a guy that wants to take him down and is good at it. Diaz wants to stand and bang.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#11 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 7,073 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:22 AM

And Diaz isn't the worst matchup for him. The worst matchup is a guy that wants to take him down and is good at it. Diaz wants to stand and bang.

Like Chad Mendes? Diaz is a long lefthanded pressure fighter with a chin of stone and cardio for days. McGregor is a pressure fighter as well but is smaller than Nate and is an explosive striker who is going to get tired over the course of a fight if he can't put someone away. I'm not saying Conor will be some dominant champ at lightweight but he matches up well with Eddie Alvarez to win the belt. RDA and Khabib would be tough fights for sure.

@PhelanToTweet

#12 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,122 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:05 AM

Yeah, like Mendes, but bigger and stronger.
  • BSLBobPhelan likes this

#13 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,170 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:13 PM

Might have been the best PPV card of the year - I'd say. 

Means, Perry, and Cowboy all looked fantastic. All very entertaining fights. Rumble comes out and puts Glover to sleep in 13 seconds. Then we have the absolute war between Diaz and Conor. I thought Conor was done as he started to tire last in the second, but he was able to push through it for another 3 rounds and take the decision. 

Cody Garbrandt is going to be an absolute beast in the future at the Bantamweight division, too. 

#14 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,170 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:14 PM

Also, it's going to be an absolute shame if we don't see to see a Jon Jones/ Anthony Johnson fight with those two in their prime. Get your shit together, Jon Jones. 

#15 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,122 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:17 PM

BTW McGregor was in more danger in that fight than Diaz was. Late in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds he just survived. Diaz was never really in trouble despite being dropped in Rounds 1 and 2. 

#16 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,170 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:18 PM

I'd argue that Diaz was in trouble in the first and second.... he was fine from there on out once Conor began to tire. 

#17 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,122 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:19 PM

Round 1 and 4 were fairly clear to Connor. 3 and 5 to Diaz. It depends on how you score the 2nd where McGregor knocked Diaz down early twice but he didnt have him hurt. The last two minutes were all Diaz and McGregor was in more trouble in that round than Diaz was. Im fine with the way it was ultimately scored but I look at that fight and think draw. 

#18 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,122 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:21 PM

I'd argue that Diaz was in trouble in the first and second.... he was fine from there on out once Conor began to tire. 

He was in no real trouble. He was dropped in part because he had his legs completely taken out from him. As soon as he went down he was looking for McGregor to engage him on the ground. If he was in real trouble Connor should have been looking for the finish. 

#19 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,170 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:23 PM

Diaz was taking a beating the first two rounds until Conor began to tire. Anytime you get knocked off your feet, especially multiple times, you're in trouble. Conor simply didn't want to risk jumping into Conor's guard to attempt to finish him off. 

#20 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,122 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:23 PM

McGregor is a very good boxer. Excellent game plan coming in to leg kick and it won him the first round and probably the 2nd. Though again, I argue he didnt win the 2nd round. From the 2 min point of the 2nd on Diaz was the one pressuring and won the fight from there on out. Connor gutted out the last 3 rounds but I do think there is a lot to the thought that he needs to win these fights early. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners