#1 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:22 PM

Oh boy!

An announcement on the Turkish state broadcaster TRT says that a curfew has been declared across Turkey and that airports are closed. The announcer says they are being made to read a statement by the military.

The statement promises a new constitution for the country and says that democracy and the secular rule of law had been undermined. Martial law has also been imposed, it adds.

https://www.theguard...-gunfire-ankara

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,002 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:39 PM

My uncle is Turkish. He, my Aunt, and my cousins were due to fly there today for his niece's wedding which is next week but obviously all the airports are closed so the flights are canceled.

Crazy. Sounds so far like it's not a thing that is dangerous for average citizens, but still an insane situation.

#3 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:49 PM

6m ago17:27

My colleague Ghaith Abdul-Ahad is in Istanbul. He reports that there is chaos on the main thoroughfare Istiklal, with people running in all directions.

Restaurants and shops are closing, somtehing is happening on Taksim Square and Tarlabashi Boulevard seems to be closed.

Cars are honking their horns and driving on the wrong side of the road. A lot of people are walking from the direction of Taksim. There is a sense of agitation, with people checking their phones or listening to the radio.

https://www.theguard...-gunfire-ankara

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#4 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:42 PM

It's definitely a situation were the Islamist extremists had been taking more and more control from the secularists there. Probably not too hard to see it coming. Hopefully the coup will be limited in violence and death, but my assumption this will be pretty bloody in the months and years ahead and was likely going to be either way. 

#5 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,748 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:27 PM

It's definitely a situation were the Islamist extremists had been taking more and more control from the secularists there. Probably not too hard to see it coming. Hopefully the coup will be limited in violence and death, but my assumption this will be pretty bloody in the months and years ahead and was likely going to be either way.

Depends on what you mean by "extremists"... but the tradition of secular gov't has become a bit iffy...

Looks like it wasn't the entire military... if it was, it'd be over, because the military has a very good rep in Turkey, they basically created the country when the Ottoman Empire fell apart... to them, it's like George Washington... but it looks like the police vs segments of the military... which means it's just a faction of the military... it looks like the citizens are with the police... we'll see what happens...

They have a draft... which means the soldiers are part of everybody... much less likely to fire on the people (except maybe for isolated incidents)...

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

#6 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,107 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:33 AM

250 people dead.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#7 Il BuonO

Il BuonO

Opposite Field Power

• Members
  • Pip
  • 743 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 16 July 2016 - 01:06 PM

Erdogan needs to go. It's somewhat comforting there are others (the military leaders) who care about the history of the country and don't want to see it overrun by the extremists.

#8 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,748 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 02:11 PM

Erdogan needs to go. It's somewhat comforting there are others (the military leaders) who care about the history of the country and don't want to see it overrun by the extremists.

Erdogan isn't a good guy... but get real about what he's up to... he's not some religious nut, he's a fascist dictator who's manipulating democracy to install himself above it... any bones he throws to religious nuts are just that:  him throwing them a bone to serve is own interests... he's way more like Putin than he is like the Ayatollah... if the religious nuts get in his way, he'll go after them too...

As for him "needing to go"... haven't you learned anything from the last 15 years?   Have you seen what happens when we arrange for bad guy leaders to be gone?   If you want religious nuts to take over, getting rid of the no-good dictator is virtually guaranteed to make that happen...

As for the military leaders, he's already purged most of them... what just happened was the effort of the few who remained who are not his personal appointees... they fucked up by not maintaining control of the media... it was over when he got on TV and said it's over without the military being able to do the same...

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners