Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:43 AM

BSL: 2016 Terps Season Preview - Offensive Tackles

http://baltimorespor...ensive-tackles/

In this article, I take a look at the 8 offensive tackles on Maryland's roster for 2016. I have projected Michael Dunn to start at left tackle, and Damian Prince to start at right tackle.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,047 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:58 AM

I guess in this scenario, I'd want Prince to go inside to allow Gray to also start. I'll be disappointed if Prince and Gray don't start together all year.

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 12,783 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:12 PM

I guess in this scenario, I'd want Prince to go inside to allow Gray to also start. I'll be disappointed if Prince and Gray don't start together all year.

I'd move Dunn to guard, he's played there before, and probably better than at tackle.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,047 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:16 PM

I'd move Dunn to guard, he's played there before, and probably better than at tackle.

That's my personal preference as well... but was going with Zack's thought on Dunn at LT.

I don't think you are just playing for 2016 here, so to me, it should be a priority to get Prince and Gray regular starts at the tackle positions.... but I get the idea that if you are just looking for '16, that Dunn goes into the year with a leg up.

#5 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:45 PM

Dunn has earned the starting LT job for his final year. A few years ago, I'd agree that he'd be better inside than outside, but he was worked his butt off and has become a very reliable left tackle. For a team that will have uncertainty at so many other positions, having a steady and reliable left tackle is huge for this team in 2016.

Other than LT and C, the rest of this unit is damn near impossible to predict. There are a ton of talented interior linemen, so my picking Minter and Shelton to start at guard is based purely on feel and what we saw in the Spring Game. At this point, this feels like the most likely lineup to me. The only "sure things" I see are Dunn at LT and Moore at C. Other than that, who knows.

@BSLZackKiesel

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,047 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:56 PM

Dunn has earned the starting LT job for his final year. A few years ago, I'd agree that he'd be better inside than outside, but he was worked his butt off and has become a very reliable left tackle. For a team that will have uncertainty at so many other positions, having a steady and reliable left tackle is huge for this team in 2016.

Other than LT and C, the rest of this unit is damn near impossible to predict. There are a ton of talented interior linemen, so my picking Minter and Shelton to start at guard is based purely on feel and what we saw in the Spring Game. At this point, this feels like the most likely lineup to me. The only "sure things" I see are Dunn at LT and Moore at C. Other than that, who knows.

I think there is something to the idea of it being 'earned'....  but what about the program as a whole?

You aren't contending for even a division title in '16.   Tackles are more valuable than Guards...  so isn't the program better spent giving time at a more valuable position to the players you will be depending on past '16?

#7 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 06 July 2016 - 02:06 PM

I think there is something to the idea of it being 'earned'....  but what about the program as a whole?

You aren't contending for even a division title in '16.   Tackles are more valuable than Guards...  so isn't the program better spent giving time at a more valuable position to the players you will be depending on past '16?

You definitely have a point, but I think you have to put yourself in Durkin's shoes. He's got a guy in Dunn who has been one of the most consistent players in the program for the last 4 years. He has earned the starting LT job, a job he's held and succeeded in for the last 2 years. How exactly do you justify telling him he's getting benched in his final year in favor of a younger, less experienced guy who has no starting experience? If you do that, I think it undermines the "blue-collar, hard work" culture that Durkin is working so hard to build.

@BSLZackKiesel

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,047 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 02:59 PM

Zack....

Thought it might be cool if you gave 'grades' to these units.... 

Maybe a range 0-10... something like...

0 being FCS caliber, 1 being the worst FBS teams in the Sun Belt, CUSA....   5 being average for a non-major conference FBS... 7 being average major-conference team .... 8 being division winner caliber major-conference... 9 being conference winner caliber major conference... 10 being national title caliber...

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 12,783 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:20 PM

That's my personal preference as well... but was going with Zack's thought on Dunn at LT.

I don't think you are just playing for 2016 here, so to me, it should be a priority to get Prince and Gray regular starts at the tackle positions.... but I get the idea that if you are just looking for '16, that Dunn goes into the year with a leg up.

I think it would be a great momentum builder for the team, and recruiting, to sneak into a bowl game this season. And I do think it's attainable, thanks mostly to an easy schedule. But I also agree that the staff should be focused on what is best for beyond 2016, as that is really where the potential lies for the program.

I get that Dunn has worked hard to get where he has, and as coaches you don't want that sort of effort to go unrewarded. It wouldn't send a good message. But there is also a reason that he had to walk-on, and early on really only got playing time because several lineman left the program and you had a real dearth of talent. That has changed now. I fully admit I don't know if Dunn is a better option than Gray (or Prince for that matter) as the starting LT. I haven't seen enough of Gray on the field to really have an opinion. Dunn is okay, nothing special stands out, but he didn't make mistakes or get beat nearly as badly last season as he did in 2014.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's fine to root for and feel good about a guy who does everything you could ask and them some to be as good as he can possibly be. But there comes a point when that just isn't enough to be better than guys who were lucky enough to be born with talents that they weren't. I just hope that if Dunn starts at LT this season it is because he is truly the best player at that spot, not just because he tries the hardest or because it was his spot in prior seasons.

#10 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:25 PM

BSL: 2016 Terps Season Preview - Offensive Guards

http://baltimorespor...fensive-guards/

In this article, I take a look at the 8 offensive guards on Maryland's roster for the 2016 season. While there is a ton of young talent at the two guard positions, I have projected veterans Mike Minter and Maurice Shelton to start this season while younger players like Quarvez Boulware, Ellis McKennie, Richard Merritt, and Terrance Davis sit behind them on the depth chart.

@BSLZackKiesel

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,047 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:34 PM

Not real excited by the projected starters, but certainly like the depth which exists.

Obviously don't expect Merritt, and Davis to play... as you said, RS for both should be the expectation.

That said, I'm hoping Boulware, and McKennie have big camps and make things interesting.

#12 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:57 PM

BSL: 2016 Terps Season Preview - Centers

http://baltimorespor...review-centers/

In this article, I wrap up my previews of the offense by taking a look at Brendan Moore and Joe Marchese, the two centers on the roster for 2016.

@BSLZackKiesel

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,047 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:18 PM

Testudo Times: The best gift Randy Edsall left for DJ Durkin is a talented Maryland football offensive line
http://www.testudoti...ster-recruiting

#14 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:25 PM

Baltimore Sun: Maryland's offensive line still a mixed bag early

http://www.baltimore...0812-story.html

After two practice sessions open to media this fall, the top line appears to be: senior Michael Dunn at left tackle, junior JaJuan Dulaney at left guard, sophomore Brendan Moore at center, senior Maurice Shelton at right guard and sophomore Damian Prince at right tackle.

I projected Minter as the LG, but he's still recovering from injury. Very well could be starting by the end of camp. Regardless, this is basically what I expected for the past few months.

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners