• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,409 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

I thought it'd be fun to create a thread to go "on the record" about something where the outcome won't be known for a while, so we can revisit later and see how smart, or not so smart we are about things.

Try to keep the discussion about why we are on the record to other areas so that this is just a short, what you think will happen or how you feel about a certain move statement.

Sometimes, like with the draft, it takes years to know if we were right or not, but sometimes browsing really old threads has some comedy gold in them (like the Roberts trade threads a few years back.)

This can be for any topic, as long as it is predictive.
@JeremyMStrain

#2 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,409 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

I'll go first, this one is a tough one because I can really see both sides and I could be persuaded, but I think trading Schoop in a package for Headley would be a mistake. We'll see how things end up down the road.
@JeremyMStrain

#3 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,809 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

Jeremy will talk about his shoulder woes. :) lol
@BSLRobShields

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

I think the prediction should be the title of the post, like this. Then you can elaberate in the text box if you want. It might make it a bit easier to see each prediction.

Real prediction, by the way.

#5 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,409 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

Jeremy will talk about his shoulder woes. :) lol

I think you have talked about them more in the past 3 weeks than I have. ;) I get it, you're worried, but I'll be ok.
@JeremyMStrain

#6 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,409 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:59 PM

I think the prediction should be the title of the post, like this. Then you can elaberate in the text box if you want. It might make it a bit easier to see each prediction.

Yeah I like this format better, good call.
@JeremyMStrain

#7 Russ

Russ

• Moderators
  • 8,922 posts
  • LocationNaughtyham

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

Machado will be the only player currently in the farm system to accumulate over 10 WAR for the Orioles.

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:47 AM

Great thread idea. Tried to get one going on Hangout but didn't work. The key is to check this thread often and call people out/give them props when they are right or wrong including patting yourself on the back or calling yourself out.

I'll start with a prediction for all 3 of my favorite teams.

-Ravens don't make the playoffs in '12.
-Hoes establishes himself as an above league average OF(hopefully for the O's but not predicting that)
-Terps mens basketball makes the '13 NCAA tourny.

BTW....I'll bat .750 and it be anything obvious. In fact, it will be predictions on things that most people would say are 50/50 or below. I'm just really good at this stuff.(Said in my best OLDFan voice)

#9 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:51 AM

I'll go first, this one is a tough one because I can really see both sides and I could be persuaded, but I think trading Schoop in a package for Headley would be a mistake. We'll see how things end up down the road.

Could be tough to judge. Could get in to semantics without a true right or wrong. That said, I could see this happening.

#10 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:52 AM

Less than a 10% chance we get Geinke. So needless to say I disagree.

#11 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:59 AM

Machado will be the only player currently in the farm system to accumulate over 10 WAR for the Orioles.

Now this is interesting. Youre betting on

A. Machado staying with the O's. Not being traded and being good or at least solid and signing an extension.
B. Others like Bundy, Schoop, Hoes, Avery, Delmonico, Gausman, etc either being traded or basically underachieving.
C. No other lesser prospects, say younger lower level guys, end up becoming solid regulars either.

I won't agree with you, but I think the odds of you being right are higher than a lot of people would guess.

#12 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,809 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

Great thread idea. Tried to get one going on Hangout but didn't work. The key is to check this thread often and call people out/give them props when they are right or wrong including patting yourself on the back or calling yourself out.

I'll start with a prediction for all 3 of my favorite teams.

-Ravens don't make the playoffs in '12.
-Hoes establishes himself as an above league average OF(hopefully for the O's but not predicting that)
-Terps mens basketball makes the '13 NCAA tourny.

BTW....I'll bat .750
and it be anything obvious. In fact, it will be predictions on things that most people would say are 50/50 or below. I'm just really good at this stuff.(Said in my best OLDFan voice)

How are you going to bat 750 with 3 predictions?
@BSLRobShields

#13 Russ

Russ

• Moderators
  • 8,922 posts
  • LocationNaughtyham

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

2.25 correct.

#14 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

I plan on posting in this thread regularly.

#15 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,809 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

I plan on posting in this thread regularly.

Ok, makes more sense...Cause I was going to post that Bnickle was going to be really bad at math in my predictions. ;)
@BSLRobShields

#16 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,409 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

Dylan Bundy will be an all-star pitcher in the ML.
@JeremyMStrain

#17 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

Whether it's as buyers or sellers, the Orioles will not make anything more than a minor move before the July 31st deadline.

@AdamWolff

#18 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,409 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

Whether it's as buyers or sellers, the Orioles will not make anything more than a minor move before the July 31st deadline.

Good one.
@JeremyMStrain

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,089 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

I'll get a bit more specific.

The Orioles will not be sellers. But they won't be big time buyers, either. No Headley. No Greinke. No Johnson.

0-2 minor moves to improve the team for a playoff run. Francisco Liriano being the largest move.

#20 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,424 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

Dylan Bundy will be an all-star pitcher in the ML.

More specifically, I think Bundy will make at least 3 AL All-Star appearances as a major leaguer, and be a starter for one of the games.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners