Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:53 AM

BSL: 2016 Season Preview - The Quarterbacks

http://baltimorespor...w-quarterbacks/

The 2016 football season is fast approaching, but my positional previews have already begun! Check out Maryland's slate of quarterbacks for the 2016 season and how I see things shaking out.

Who would you tab as your starting quarterback if you were DJ Durkin?

• BSLChrisStoner and Adam Wolff like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 12,783 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 31 May 2016 - 02:39 PM

I would have an open competition when practice starts up, and go with whomever gives you the best shot of winning. But obviously 3 of the 5 QBs have a huge jump on the other two, so the starter will almost certainly be one of the non-freshmen. Among that sub-group, I'd lean heavily towards Hills, though I personally have yet to see Schaffer take a snap.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 12,783 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:24 PM

WaPo: A five-man QB competition? After last season, Maryland leaves all options open

Durkin said during Tuesday’s Big Ten media days that seniors Perry Hills and Caleb Rowe will enter the season with a “little leg up” because of their reps in spring practice and overall experience dating back to 2012. But by no means will that exclude the three younger quarterbacks on the roster: redshirt freshman Gage Shaffer and true freshmen Tyrrell Pigrome and Max Bortenschlager.

“The new kids will definitely get a chance, and a fair chance. … We’re going to rep those guys, just like any other position. We have a lot of freshman DBs, running backs — those guys are all going to get a chance. That’s always going to be the case, but especially in the first year, it’s open competition,” Durkin said.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,047 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:19 AM

Testudo Times: Maryland's QBs will be better. But by how much?

#5 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:43 PM

InsideMDSports: Maryland Quarterback Gage Shaffer a Darkhorse for Terps Job

http://maryland.247s...idate--46795590

“Gage Shaffer has probably been the surprise of camp,” offensive coordinator Walt Bell said Tuesday. “From spring football to practicing in the fall, it’s almost like he’s a new human being.”

@BSLZackKiesel

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,047 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:42 PM

IMS: Terps OC Says Tyrrell Pigrome Could Play Four or Five Positions
http://maryland.247s...me-Ath-46809748

“He’s got surprising arm talent,” Bell said. “He’s an explosive playmaker, he’s learning the system in the small amount of time he’s been here about as fast as any of the freshmen I’ve had.” There’s a catch: Bell admits he’s might be no taller than 5-foot-9. He’s also still learning how to effectively protect the ball.

#7 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:45 PM

IMS: Terps OC Says Tyrrell Pigrome Could Play Four or Five Positions
http://maryland.247s...me-Ath-46809748

“He’s got surprising arm talent,” Bell said. “He’s an explosive playmaker, he’s learning the system in the small amount of time he’s been here about as fast as any of the freshmen I’ve had.” There’s a catch: Bell admits he’s might be no taller than 5-foot-9. He’s also still learning how to effectively protect the ball.

Yeah, I'm sticking with my projection from when he committed: he'll wind up being a slot receiver. He just doesn't have the mechanics to be a successful quarterback at this level, and that's what the coaching staff is seeing right now. Sure, he's got a big arm and can run, but he's incapable of standing in the pocket and delivering a pass downfield. That's a problem, no matter what offense you're running (well, except the flexbone I guess).

@BSLZackKiesel

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,047 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:57 PM

If he moves, I'd rather see him become a CB.

With 'explosive arm talent', and his running ability; I'd give him an extensive amount of time (this season) to spend at QB, and hopefully see development over practice...

If he's progressed to a point next Spring where you believe he can be a starting QB in the system... keep him there... if not, make the switch next Summer.

#9 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:51 AM

WaPoSecret to turnaround for Perry Hills and Maryland: Workouts with Gus Frerotte

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#10 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,987 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:01 AM

I'm not ready to call it a turnaround given the competition, but it appears he's made some progress in a number of areas. But again, let's see how he looks this week. Hope he sustains it. That'd be huge.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#11 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,697 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:53 PM

A little premature to name streets after the kid, isn't it?
72a6199b9c0337ae8f055c567114cdab.jpg

(Pardon the poor quality. Was sitting at a red light when I snapped it)
  • BSLChrisStoner, BSLMikeLowe, BSLZackKiesel and 1 other like this
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners