2 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:40 AM

2 years and counting that the governments largest single-payer, governmentally run health care system is still f'ed up. And the man running it is an a-hole. Pathetic... your fired, get'em out of here!

Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert McDonald on Monday compared the length of time veterans wait to receive health care at the VA to the length of time people wait for rides at Disneyland, and said his agency shouldn't use wait times as a measure of success because Disney doesn't either.

"When you got to Disney, do they measure the number of hours you wait in line? Or what's important? What's important is, what's your satisfaction with the experience?" McDonald said Monday during a Christian Science Monitor breakfast with reporters. "And what I would like to move to, eventually, is that kind of measure."

McDonald's comments angered House Speaker Paul Ryan, who tweeted out Monday afternoon, "This is not make-believe, Mr. Secretary. Veterans have died waiting in those lines."

http://www.foxnews.c...-should-va.html

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#2 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,524 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:24 AM

If they are comparing wait times at VA hospitals to the wait time of getting on a ride at Disney... Its the same at any major hospital.

In Baltimore city, people use the ambulance as a taxi and go to the hospital for anything. Tooth ache, head ache, even "my baby is crying". We show up. "He's not crying now. But we would still like to go to the ER."
"Well....babies do cry. His vital signs are normal. Are you sure?"
"Yes. Just in case."

People think that an ambulance ride is a fast pass to see a doctor. Unless you have chest pains, breathing problems, or some kind of trauma, it's not. People get pissed when we bring them in for a headache or back ache and the receiving nurse directs them to the waiting room. Likely for hours. I personally sat in a waiting room for 5 hours with a kidney stone, after being falsely told that my stone was too big to pass. Finally saw a doctor, asked how big they told me it was, and he laughed and said I'll be fine, and released me.

I will say, that city ambulances don't take folks to the VA hospital. Its against protocol. So I can't speak for who they let sit in the waiting room. But I'd be willing to bet there are a handful of people looking for perccocet or a doctors note to get out of work that back up the system so that someone who really needs help has to wait.

It's bigger than a VA problem, IMO. It's a society, people, healthcare as a whole problem.
@BSLMikeRandall

#3 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:49 AM

Well, if someone were to die while waiting for the VA, they would probably rate their overall experience as bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners