• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,859 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:53 PM

With the 6th pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, Baltimore selects Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame.

• BSLAndyGuyader likes this

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,859 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:53 PM

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.../Ronnie_Stanley

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,859 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:54 PM

Chicago Tribune: Ronnie Stanley poised to be first top-10 pick from Notre Dame since 1994

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,859 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:55 PM

NFL.com: Scouting Report

http://www.nfl.com/d...nley?id=2555204

Bottom Line

Three-year starter with the outstanding foot quickness and pass protection talent expected from an early round left tackle prospect. Stanley showed great maturity in acknowledging his weaknesses and returning to school to work on them and improve his game. While Stanley's core power is still a concern, he showed improved strength and run blocking prowess this year and should be ready to come in and start right away for a team looking to protect a high-­end quarterback.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,859 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:55 PM

Walter Football: Scouting Report

http://walterfootbal...015rstanley.php

Player Comparison: D'Brickashaw Ferguson. There are a lot of similarities between Stanley and Ferguson. Both have good size and are very athletic. Ferguson (6-6, 310) isn't overpowering, and neither is Stanley, but they both are effective blind-side protectors and run blockers. Ferguson was the fourth-overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, and Stanley could go in that range as well.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,859 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:56 PM

CBS Sports: Scouting Report
http://www.cbssports.../ronnie-stanley

COMPARES TO: D'Brickashaw Ferguson, New York Jets - Dancing bears who use their natural athleticism and length to shut down speed, Stanley needs some time to refine his technique and improve his functional strength to handle NFL rushers, similar to Ferguson when he entered the league.

IN OUR VIEW: His lacks technical refinement and will struggle initially in the NFL as he learns the finer points to the game, but he has the size, length and athletic ability that few his size possess, which is why he'll be drafted high.

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,859 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:58 PM

Sports Illustrated: Scouting Report
http://www.si.com/nf...-ronnie-stanley

Conclusion: Pass-heavy teams will love Stanley, especially those teams that use a lot of three- and five-step drops. That said, he can sustain blocks in pass pro for as long as the quarterback wants to drop back. It could easily be argued that Stanley has the most potential of any pass blocker in this draft class. Where he comes up short is his inconsistency in the run game. He’ll have the frame to bull through NFL defenders if he gets his upper body together and maintains his technique in power situations, but it’s easy to see teams like the Panthers and Seahawks looking at him as a player in transition. Not that he’ll drop to Carolina and Seattle’s half of the first round. The NFL is a passing league, and whatever his current flaws may be, Ronnie Stanley already has the look of a starting NFL left tackle.

Pro Comparison: Ryan Clady, Jets (first round, 2008, Broncos, Boise State)

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,859 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:05 PM

I typically advocate for teams to be built from the lines out... so in that sense, fine with the selection.

However, I was disappointed that Elliott, Bosa, and Ramsey were off the board... and I would have preferred Buckner.

Didn't think trading back was a likely available option... but the Titans did move up to 8... so maybe?

#9 BSLAndyGuyader

BSLAndyGuyader

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:10 PM

Protecting your QB investment with an OT. Makes great sense. Expect the bulk of the rest of the draft to be defense.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeRandall like this

#10 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,945 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:54 PM

BSL: http://baltimorespor.../ravens-select/

My write up on the Ravens first round pick. Strengths, weaknesses, quotes from the Ravens and Stanley, and some interesting facts.

• BSLChrisStoner, jkough1 and BSLGabeFerguson like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#11 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:07 PM

The one guy I didn't want if we stayed at 6. Still can't believe it. I would have been fine with literally any other player rated in the top 10. I just don't like what I've personally seen. So much smoke about him being soft and weak. And those are two traits you don't want to hear when you're talking about your blind side protection. Plus his mustache. Shave that shit off kid, you look like you drive a van with no windows, with Candy spray painted on the side of it.

• BSLGabeFerguson likes this

#12 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,945 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:29 PM

The one guy I didn't want if we stayed at 6. Still can't believe it. I would have been fine with literally any other player rated in the top 10. I just don't like what I've personally seen. So much smoke about him being soft and weak. And those are two traits you don't want to hear when you're talking about your blind side protection. Plus his mustache. Shave that shit off kid, you look like you drive a van with no windows, with Candy spray painted on the side of it.

So much "smoke" about Tunsil too.  :wink:

@BSLMikeRandall

#13 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,123 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:38 PM

Not excited....but nothing at that point would have excited except a trade down, which apparently wasn't there.
@BSLRobShields

#14 esporter

esporter

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 10:17 PM

I'm late to the party, but certainly not excited here. With the #6 pick I wanted a truly elite player, not the 2nd best tackle because the 1st guy has off field stuff. Was really hoping for a top defensive player.

I'll trust Ozzie knows what he's doing. If Stanley turns into a very good player it won't matter much, but he was literally the only feasible guy I didn't want at 6.

wordsbyevanporter.com

@esporter

#15 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,123 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 April 2016 - 10:27 PM

I don't like reading that some question his passion for the game. That bothers me a lot.
@BSLRobShields

#16 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,044 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 28 April 2016 - 10:27 PM

Ravens made a panic move imo, but he should help solidify the OL. Maybe he plays LG at first or one of Wagner/Monroe kicks inside. I think he will be a good pro, but never a top OT.

@gabefergy

#17 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,123 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 April 2016 - 10:28 PM

The guy to watch is Buckner. He was probably the only other guy on the board there.
@BSLRobShields

#18 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,123 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 April 2016 - 10:43 PM

I don't think the Ravens are excited about this either.
@BSLRobShields

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 12,786 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 April 2016 - 10:52 PM

I don't like reading that some question his passion for the game. That bothers me a lot.

They are basically going to replace Eugene Monroe with a healthier version of Eugene Monroe.

#20 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,123 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 April 2016 - 10:55 PM

Yep...and questions about him being soft too.

Otoh, he was a well spoken kid, so that could be taken wrong.

Mayock compared him to Tyron Smith.

@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners