Photo

BSL: Joe Flacco the exception, not the rule when it comes to trading up in first round for a QB

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BSLJasonBHirschhorn

BSLJasonBHirschhorn

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:22 AM

Joe Flacco the exception, not the rule when it comes to trading up in first round for a QB:

http://baltimorespor...first-round-qb/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

Jason B. Hirschhorn is an award-winning sports journalist and Pro Football Writers of America member. He has bylines at SB Nation, Sports on Earth, and other outlets. He also serves as the senior writer and editor for Acme Packing Company, a Green Bay Packers blog. Follow him on Twitter: @by_JBH

#2 primetime

primetime

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:28 AM

Quite simply, this is an illustration of the importance of finding that all important franchise QB. As Ravens fans, we certainly remember many Sundays from 1998 thru 2007 that were often an exercise in futility from the QB position.

With that said, I think GMs fall into a trap when it comes to trying to get a good young QB. The desperation to find a good signal caller often lead to overvaluing the best QB of the current draft class. The result is something like what the Rams are doing; mortgaging this draft and next year's draft in the hopes that Goff or Wentz is "the guy". If they aren't up to snuff, the Rams and Eagles will be set back for another 3-4 years.

Getting a young QB is as much about luck as it is about evaluation in my opinion. You have to have some other good pieces in place, as well as a system that fits his skill set.

When you look at our selection of Joe; he was a bit raw but he really was the perfect fit for this franchise. Strong, tough, quietly confident and willing to fit in to a franchise that was still had the majority of its stars/talent/personality on defense. IMO, had we mortgaged the future and moved up to grab Matt Ryan, it would've been a colossal mistake. His skill set, makeup, etc simply would not have played in BMore.

Sorry for the length of my post, but I think it's symbolic of the subject matter. There's very rarely anything simple or succinct about finding a QB diamond in the rough that is the NFL draft.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
@primetime667083

#3 ShawnBrubaker

ShawnBrubaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:57 AM

What Flacco illustrates to me is how important it is to have a good infrastructure in place. The Ravens did almost everything right in developing Flacco. They ran the ball 592 times compared to 433 passes. They kept Derrick Mason and added guys like Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith. Put Flacco on the Browns and he busts. Put Flacco on the 2003 Ravens that were so unkind to Kyle "I Should Have Been A" Boller, and he would have busted. On this team, though, it worked. The Eagles cupboard on offense is bare. I'm very concerned for Carson Wentz. The Rams at least have Todd Gurley. That may be enough to help Goff play with some training wheels early in his career. Neither of these guys is Andrew Luck, who succeeded with very little help. They could be a Flacco, though, with the right development and surrounding pieces.

@63brubaker
Ravens Analyst BSL
Fat, lazy, sorry couch quarterback

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners