Photo

BSL: Kirwan's Explosion Number (focus on edge rushers)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,121 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:35 AM

BSL: http://baltimorespor...2016-nfl-draft/

In this piece, I take a look at a metric Pat Kirwan, long time NFL scout, coach, insider, podcast host, uses to measure a players explosiveness. 

I focus on the pass rushers at DE and OLB, dig a little deeper than Kirwan into agility numbers. Look at the 2011 draft where players are well established, the 2015 draft to see how rookies did, and what the 2016 class shapes up like in explosion and agility. 

Also, what the Ravens trends in the metric are. 

• BSLChrisStoner and Mackus like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,109 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:17 PM

I don't like the explosion score for 1 main reason, it doesn't adjust for weight. You could make the argument that how heavily Bench Press reps is weighted is a control for weight, as heavier players tend to bench more, but I think just looking at those numbers from a large sample of players demonstrates how much variability there is to it. 

For edge rushers, I think you are on to something important by looking at agility numbers. Frankly, I think it's influence relative to the explosion score should be even higher. Most players will have a combined short shuttle/3C within a very small range. Compared to the range of the explosion score the relative impact is minimized by simply subtracting one number from another.

I don't know if you are familiar with the work of Justis Mosqueda who developed the "force players" formula. Essentially it's an algorithm based off of explosive tests like VJ and BJ, agility tests (mostly 3C), but then adjusted for player density (weight/height). It does a pretty remarkable job of predicting player performance.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this
@gabefergy

#3 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,121 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:00 PM

I don't like the explosion score for 1 main reason, it doesn't adjust for weight. You could make the argument that how heavily Bench Press reps is weighted is a control for weight, as heavier players tend to bench more, but I think just looking at those numbers from a large sample of players demonstrates how much variability there is to it. 

For edge rushers, I think you are on to something important by looking at agility numbers. Frankly, I think it's influence relative to the explosion score should be even higher. Most players will have a combined short shuttle/3C within a very small range. Compared to the range of the explosion score the relative impact is minimized by simply subtracting one number from another.

I don't know if you are familiar with the work of Justis Mosqueda who developed the "force players" formula. Essentially it's an algorithm based off of explosive tests like VJ and BJ, agility tests (mostly 3C), but then adjusted for player density (weight/height). It does a pretty remarkable job of predicting player performance.

I'll have to check that out. Sounds interesting.

@BSLMikeRandall

#4 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,541 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:30 PM

Whats a VJ?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

@fuzydunlop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners