• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BSLZachSpedden

BSLZachSpedden

Orioles MiL Analyst

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:06 PM

While it is just another imperfect solution, the Orioles do have the depth to trade for Jay Bruce. http://baltimorespor...ll-bruce-trade/

• BSLChrisStoner and Icterus galbula like this

#2 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,227 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:10 PM

I would trade for him but I'm not giving up anything of real value for him.

Tyler Wilson? Sure. They can have him. No one better than that.

• fishteacher likes this
@BSLRobShields

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,167 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:22 PM

Agree, I'd take Bruce if all he requires are fringe prospects.  Wouldn't give up anyone in our top 10 buy guys like Wilson would certainly be in play.  Christian Walker seems like a good matchup from a value perspective, but as the article mentions he makes no sense for Cincinnati with Votto entrenched at 1B.

I also don't really buy the argument that Bruce is still recovering from the 2014 knee injury as an explanation of his poor 2015 numbers (specifically, his poor finish).  He hit very well up until the deadline last year (827 OPS through July), so unless it was recovered and then he re-tweaked it but didn't need to take any DL time, it seems like he was able to overcome any injury concerns and play well for a while before falling apart again.

#4 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:28 PM

Some concerns about Bruce, but he could be fine. Last I heard they wanted Cisco. Screw that.  

#5 BSLZachSpedden

BSLZachSpedden

Orioles MiL Analyst

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:33 PM

I also don't really buy the argument that Bruce is still recovering from the 2014 knee injury as an explanation of his poor 2015 numbers (specifically, his poor finish).  He hit very well up until the deadline last year (827 OPS through July), so unless it was recovered and then he re-tweaked it but didn't need to take any DL time, it seems like he was able to overcome any injury concerns and play well for a while before falling apart again.

I've also doubted the knee injury explanation. If he's to bounce back, it would more likely be a case in which the Orioles spotted and corrected a flaw the Reds had overlooked, Bruce made some adjustments himself, or that he simply thrived in a new environment. However, those factors can't really be quantified, at least from our perspective. 

#6 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,076 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:37 PM

Roch was on Buster Olney's podcast and it appears that it would not take a lot prospect-wise to get Bruce.

I'd probably rather sign Austin Jackson -- he didn't receive a QO right?

• primetime likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#7 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:39 PM

Roch was on Buster Olney's podcast and it appears that it would not take a lot prospect-wise to get Bruce.

I'd probably rather sign Austin Jackson -- he didn't receive a QO right?

He did not. He did suck. 

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:22 PM

Such meh fallback options, but the O's better go after something. If they now try to sell me on Reimold or D. Alvarez as our starting RF I'll be pissed.

#9 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,240 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:26 PM

Some concerns about Bruce, but he could be fine. Last I heard they wanted Cisco. Screw that.  

To their defense, you gotta go balls out and ask for the world before you get a street corner.

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#10 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,208 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:09 PM

I've also doubted the knee injury explanation. If he's to bounce back, it would more likely be a case in which the Orioles spotted and corrected a flaw the Reds had overlooked, Bruce made some adjustments himself, or that he simply thrived in a new environment. However, those factors can't really be quantified, at least from our perspective.

Dealing with shifts seems to be his issue. Wayne Kirby has seemed to have some success with Davis in that regard, maybe that's the ticket.

Reds ballpark is very hitter friendly so I don't imagine it would be Camden.

#11 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,421 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:59 PM

When you look at everything, I'd rather put Trumbo in RF and DH Ryan Howard than take on money or prospects for Bruce.

#12 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:46 PM

When you look at everything, I'd rather put Trumbo in RF and DH Ryan Howard than take on money or prospects for Bruce.

Maybe not Howard. But certainly Alvarez or Austin Jackson. We'll see but I'd be wary of much in the way of prospects for Bruce and if a fringe prospect was the price he'd be a Blue Jay already imo.

#13 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:00 PM

I think they'd have to give up a bit more than Wilson - say Wilson, Bridwell and then throw in Urrutia to play RF for them while their OF prospects develop.

#14 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,227 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:14 PM

I think they'd have to give up a bit more than Wilson - say Wilson, Bridwell and then throw in Urrutia to play RF for them while their OF prospects develop.

That's nothing to give up.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners