• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BSLZachSpedden

BSLZachSpedden

Orioles MiL Analyst

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

Given the current conditions, this is the best-case scenario. 

http://baltimorespor...system-improve/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,510 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:55 PM

Other ways to improve the farm system: spend more money on the international amateur market. Stop trading away the competitive draft balance picks.

The fact that they are spending a ton this year is great... The fact that they literally sold their competitive balance pick to get rid of Webb's contract is infuriating.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 111,148 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:35 PM

Let's hope so.

Figure we lose the 14th, and 28th picks....

That would leave the O's with the 52nd, 68th, 74th, and 90th picks in the Top 100 in the June Draft.  Would think all 4 of those picks will be among the O's Top 15 prospects at year end.

Without the 14th, and 28th.... will they do what Coker says, and go after a higher-end international talent... hasn't been their DNA... maybe they finally adjust this year?

As you (Zach) pointed out in the article, Bundy isn't going to factor in the system improvement (if he's with the organization, and healthy, he will be helping the O's bullpen).

So, you are looking at:

Harvey, Sisco, Reyes, Stewart.....

Harvey has to stay healthy, and perform... if he does, it's plausible he ends '16 at Bowie. If he's on a mound, I expect the results to be there. That would give the O's a premier prospect.

Sisco and Reyes are probably universally regarded as Top 150 guys this year. Them jumping into the Top 100 by everyone is certainly realistic.

Stewart was abysmal after turning pro last Summer... but clean slate this Spring. As an advanced college bat, he better be murdering the South Atlantic League. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't earn his way to Frederick by mid-year, and do well there as well.

After that quartet...  Lee, Mancini, Walker, Mountcastle...  Lee sounds like he has real upside. Interested to see him.

Mancini, and Walker.... I question their ceilings, but they are good system depth. Could be nice pieces to move, or they could wind-up being DH options for '17.

Mountcastle.... let's see what he does over his first full professional year.

Others...

Josh Hart... Nobody has disappointed me more the last two years... but there should be legitimate talent there. Maybe the light-bulb comes on this season.

D. Alvarez.... Too old to really be considered a prospect imo, but he's good depth. If things don't happen with Fowler, etc...  he's in the mix with Reimold, and Rickard for RF.

What about Ariel Miranda, and Lazaro Leyva? Ofelky Peralta? Someone emerge here?

Parker Bridwell? I believe in his arm... still wish he'd be moved to the bullpen.

Tyler Wilson... Don't believe in him as a ML starter, but again... good depth.

Tanner Scott, David Hess, Gray Fenter, Mike Yastrzemski, Jonah Heim....

Can Branden Kline get back on a mound by the end of the year?

#4 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,076 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:49 PM

Whatever they do, I hope they draft guys that are close to ready -- college type players that are easier to prospect. Enough with the pie in the sky gambles.

Of course, that was seemingly the idea behind the Stewart pick and that could end up being a bust.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#5 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,224 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:32 PM

Going to be tough to fix something you don't put emphasis on.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners