Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:58 PM

BSL: The Future is Bright
http://baltimorespor.../future-bright/

We're all a little depressed about Maryland football right now. But just check out the talent all over these projected two-deep depth charts for 2016 and 2017, and you'll be sure to cheer up.

• BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,068 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:07 PM

Should edit another comment in about McLean.  Sure hope that becomes official again.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,068 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:15 PM

An awful lot on Haskins shoulders, but him just being adequate in his Freshman season would be a big upgrade on it's own.

If you get McLean back, and Ngakoue doesn't jump.. the d-line looks better. Excited about Keihn.

The O-line starts to actually look good next Summer. That's huge.

The Secondary is a complete mess if Likely leaves, and Diggs (if he becomes official) doesn't move to CB.

I think the new coaches would have to be thinking about moving a WR like Etta-Tawo to DB...  his hands are suspect at best, but has good size/athleticism. So maybe it could work.

Also have to look for JUCO's, and grad transfers... position needs work.

• Greg Pappas and BSLZackKiesel like this

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,253 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:41 PM

BSL: The Future is Bright
http://baltimorespor.../future-bright/

We're all a little depressed about Maryland football right now. But just check out the talent all over these projected two-deep depth charts for 2016 and 2017, and you'll be sure to cheer up.

I'm not sure if you should include any recruits in either list.  College football commits are notoriously fickle and switch all the time even when there isn't coaching turnover.  With Edsall gone and Locksley likely to follow, I think we'll see a significantly different group of players coming in as our actual 2016 freshman class compared to those guys that we've currently got committed.

Also, how likely is Likely to go pro?

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,068 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:45 PM

I'm not sure if you should include any recruits in either list.  College football commits are notoriously fickle and switch all the time even when there isn't coaching turnover.  With Edsall gone and Locksley likely to follow, I think we'll see a significantly different group of players coming in as our actual 2016 freshman class compared to those guys that we've currently got committed.

It's a fair point...

Gives an idea of what the new HC could inherit... but that's still tbd.

I'd like Likely to come back...  not sure on the chances. His height will be used against him. Will NFL teams think he can contribute in the slot, and on Special Teams?

As said above, also think Ngakoue could possibly jump.

#6 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD

Posted 02 November 2015 - 05:20 PM

Appreciate the write-up Zack. As Mackus said, so much hinges on what happens with the HC situation.

If we do keep Locksley on board in some fashion, the talent we'll have (especially on the offensive side of the ball) bodes well for the program moving forward. Yet, outside of the new hire, my biggest concern is the defense. If we are to ever make a serious push in the B1G, a focus on that side of the ball must be addressed in recruiting. Getting McLean and Jones was/is very good, but we cannot expect success with a defense consisting mostly of 2-star & 3-star players. 

Time comes and goes, like mist in the morning… the rays of dawn wane into twilight. Unaware on our journey, we often fail to realize that we are breathing… ALIVE in this wondrous gift called Life.

#7 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD

Posted 02 November 2015 - 05:24 PM

As well, it seems we'll have some quality backups along the O-Line. It might behoove the staff to look into switching a big to the D-Line. We need some beef over there moving forward, and all things considered equal, I'd rather have a solid D-Lineman than a solid backup O-lineman.

Time comes and goes, like mist in the morning… the rays of dawn wane into twilight. Unaware on our journey, we often fail to realize that we are breathing… ALIVE in this wondrous gift called Life.

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 12,783 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 November 2015 - 08:33 PM

Likely should go pro, at least that would be my advice. His biggest detriment in the NFL is something that one more year of college obviously isn't going to change, so I don't see what he has to gain by staying. He's probably no better than a mid-round pick no matter what else he does from now on, barring a miracle 5" growth spurt. But his skills/instincts as a returner are unquestioned, and if he can cover NFL slot receivers, he should have a decent career in the league.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,253 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 08:39 PM

Yeah I think I agree. If he's projected as a 3rd of 4th round pick, I think he should just go. Similar to Diggs last year.

#10 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:56 PM

Terrapin Station: Yannick Ngakoue declares for NFL Draft

http://terrapinstati...-for-nfl-draft/

Not too surprising, certainly wish him all the best.

@BSLZackKiesel

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,068 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:38 PM

Good for him, sucks for MD... hopefully Keihn is ready to go opposite of Aniebonam.

And also hopefully McLean comes back to the Terps and is ready to produce inside.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#12 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:57 PM

I just updated the projected depth charts to reflect Ngakoue and Jefferson's departures. I also updated the defensive positions to change the WDE to the "BUCK", a hybrid DE/LB that Durkin prefers. I also got rid of the FBs, as the spread offense has little to no use for them (though Goins will likely move to RB).

@BSLZackKiesel

#13 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD

Posted 18 December 2015 - 01:28 AM

I just updated the projected depth charts to reflect Ngakoue and Jefferson's departures. I also updated the defensive positions to change the WDE to the "BUCK", a hybrid DE/LB that Durkin prefers. I also got rid of the FBs, as the spread offense has little to no use for them (though Goins will likely move to RB).

What of Ukandu? He'll be a senior in 2016, right?

#14 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:25 AM

What of Ukandu? He'll be a senior in 2016, right?

Yes, he will be. But he's more of a NT than a DT. In the 4-3, you want a smaller, better pass-rusher at the DT position, a role that Malik Jones or Adam McLean would fill well. I could see Opara moving over to DT, which would open the door for Ukandu at NT.

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners