I don't understand how you can't be sickened by the symbolism of a University, or any institution for that matter, actively promoting prostitution. For those who feel this way... Rob... it once again shows a severe lack of understanding of US Subcultures. Research shows that most female prostitutes were in a "tumultuous" point in their life when they felt they had no choice but to sell their bodies. There are tons of contributing factors that go into it as well... like Women pay inequality (still a huge problem), women hiring inequality... and in the case of many prostitutes, poverty, a lack of education and heavy drug use.
"Women have a choice, they are choosing to do it." - By this logic, Dr. Kevorkian'ites should just be able to set-up shop right outside of mental health facilities... there's business to be had, and the patients would have to consent, no big deal, right?
It is sickening that any University would promote this kind of behavior. What they should do is educate our youth more on the leading indicators of prostitution and provide an understanding on where society needs to improve to further promote gender equality and not feed into the way it's always been.
There's a ton more to say... and I realize there is a feminist movement that is largely in support of female prostitution. I'm not even necessarily throwing the baby out with the bath water... but just because 3% of prostitutes are healthy, educated and have consciously chosen this as a career doesn't mean we should just turn our back's on the other 97% who get into the business because they feel they have no other choice.
Now we can add getting paid by Universities to entertain 17 year old high schooler's as a motivating factor. Just awful.
I really tried to stay away from this thread... This isn't what this site is for, it's been made clear, and I'm sure people are tired of my soap box rants. I'm aware and I wish I didn't feel the need to throw this out there. Quite frankly, I'm surprised no one else has to this point. There's a ton of asinine commentary in this thread.