24 replies to this topic

#21 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,322 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:31 AM

Joe is not accurate enough on short passes and the middle of the field is never been a strong suit either. The further we get away from the Cam Cameron era the more I realize he had Joe pegged pretty well. Should have gave Joe more freedom to audible. Should have made more adjustments. Shouldn't have pissed the rest of the offensive players off either. Time to move on? Yeah. In regards to knowing what was good for Joe he was more often right. He needs a good running game. He should be working outside the hashes more than the middle of the field, he should be pushing the ball down the field on throws. Not shorter timing patterns.

Cameron had Joe pegged? Under Kubiak he had career highs in TDs, yards, and got his completion percentage over 60 for the year for the first time since 2010. He also had better accuracy on his deep balls under Kubiak than he ever did with Cam.

He has the tendency a couple times a year to throw the ball right to a middle linebacker leaving us wondering how the hell he didnt see them there. Probably why you want to see him work the outside more. But im sure every QB does that a few times a year.

Not sure if you read the article, but I pointed out throws over the middle are just higher percentage throws. It makes sense to attack there to keep the sticks moving. You can dink a five yard pass and it goes five yards with some opportunity for yards after catch. Or you can heave it 20 yards toward the sideline and it goes five yards with no YAC because the sideline acts as a defender.

Joes best game of 2014 he attacked the middle of the field most often. His efficient portions of games this year came when he attacked the middle. And the efficiency went down when he did not.
@BSLMikeRandall

#22 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:58 AM

He generally put up good numbers with Cam. Cam had his flaws, but he knew what Joe did and didn't do well.

We know I love Kubiak. Kubiak brought the running game, which is probably the most crucial thing for Joe. To be able to use PA. The other key thing is the work he did with Joe on his footwork and getting the ball out on time. Said in a thread yesterday that I wish we had found a way to bring Shanahan on board last year. So he could be the OC right now.

#23 primetime

primetime

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 17 October 2015 - 11:19 AM

The other thing that Kubiak did was really bring Joe into the process as far as building the game plan for the week. We know that Cam never did this, as all reports were that Cam fancied himself the smartest guy in the room.

When Cam was let go, word on the street was Caldwell and Joe clicked right away and that Joe had input. It's no coincidence that Joe looked more confident than ever and had the best run of his career until Kubiak. The footwork was outstanding, the ball was out on time, etc. Of course, it also helped that we had far and away the best set of playmaking talent that we've ever had. Q, Torrey, Pitta, Jacoby, Rice and then Dickson and even Leach as options.

We know why 2013 went off the rails; no running game, no pass pro, only Torrey as a legit pass catcher. Then, we bring in Kubiak and rebuild the OLine and have a really nice year overall in '14; Joe has his best year as a pro. Like Nickle said, outstanding footwork, ball out on time. Also, we moved the pocket with bootlegs and rollouts, to give Joe time. Sacks and QB hits were I believe the lowest they've ever been.

This year, you can tell that there have been times where Flacco doesn't like or believe in what he sees out there. Is that a function of the game plan or lack of trust in his skill players? Or both?

I had hoped this season was going to be battling through the first 8 games and that we would see improvement as the year went on for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post. Unfortunately, the 1-4 start has me thinking it would be better to just bottom out, get a high pick, clear the dead money from the cap, which would allow for a "reboot" for 2016. That said, the fan in me is still hoping for a 3 game winning streak before the bye to get to 4-4 and roll the dice in November and December.

@primetime667083

#24 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,841 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:37 PM

How hasn't been given enough of a chance to show if he can improve on his short throwing.

They always want to take advantage of his arm which is great but they make it too difficult at times.
@BSLRobShields

#25 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:26 AM

Neither one of us knows the actual play design. But football logic states Williams ran the right route and Smith either ran the wrong route or didn't run his route to the right depth. Even vets like Smith can blow a route. Williams route is a common route used to keep a MLB from getting too deep in his zone and opening up a huge gap between him and the saftey help.

Football logic eh? On 3rd &10 why would Williams be sitting 5 yards short of the first down marker if his role was anything other than to occupy space? Why would Smith be running a quick out 5 yards short of the sticks? Neither makes sense in that situation. If you look at the play develop, Smith would have been wide open for a big gain if Williams had simply stated in the middle of the field.
@gabefergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners