Photo

BSL: Can't Darren Waller stretch the field?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,322 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:08 AM

http://baltimorespor...-stretch-field/

Not only stretch the field, but be a big target for Flacco to hit, draw an extra defender due to his size/speed combination. Block bettier in the running game with his triple option experience in college.

Believe it or not, Waller, a sixth round pick, was drafted higher than three guys ahead of him on the depth chart who can't get the job done. He's a rookie, but it's time for a change as it's now or never for the Ravens. 

• BSLChrisStoner and esporter like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 wickedsolo

wickedsolo
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:01 AM

Problem with Waller is he hasn't figured out that he's 6'6" 240lbs. He plays small. That will (hopefully) come with time.
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this

#3 Tranquil1

Tranquil1
  • Members
  • 61 posts
  • LocationParrish, Florida

Posted 29 September 2015 - 03:38 PM

Mike, great article! I agree completely with what you wrote. I was thinking who is the fastest guy they have and Waller's name came up. Why aren't they at least giving him a shot? Tell him to run a couple posts and clear things out. Can't hurt. But then again, what do I know....lol.

#4 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:12 PM

Problem with Waller is he hasn't figured out that he's 6'6" 240lbs. He plays small. That will (hopefully) come with time.

I haven't watched him enough to say whether I agree or disagree with this statement. If that is true, it's a shame.

However, i'm 100% on the side of giving Waller more reps on offense. He has the best speed on the team, not including Perriman. Let him go out there and try and make some plays downfield for us. It can't be any worse than throwing Marlon Brown out there to drop a few passes a game. 

#5 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 29 September 2015 - 09:49 PM

I'd rather see Campanaro in a bigger role in the offense, but Waller could potentially be a field stretcher for the Ravens. I do think he is extremely raw, and I'm not sure how much trust Joe has in him. If Engram could get him to work on his releases and double moves, I could see a role for him. He really would only have to run a coupe routes in theory.

@gabefergy

#6 primetime

primetime

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:45 PM

I understand that we need to be able to at least show that will push the ball downfield but to be honest, racking up passing yards and points hasn't been a problem the last 2 weeks.

Let's run the ball better, get some play action going and generate big plays that way.

@primetime667083

#7 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,322 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:21 PM

I understand that we need to be able to at least show that will push the ball downfield but to be honest, racking up passing yards and points hasn't been a problem the last 2 weeks.

Let's run the ball better, get some play action going and generate big plays that way.

Really do need to run it better. But the scores at times in the last two games have given a little reason to go pass heavy. If the defense doesnt improve, it will be another pass heavy second half in Pittsburgh
@BSLMikeRandall

#8 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:47 PM

We can't really expect to keep throwing 10 yard outs to Smith Sr. and bank on him breaking 2 or more tackles every game. Eventually teams are going to take him away. And outside of Aiken ' s handful of plays against Oakland, no other WR has shown they can give us anything.

Giving Waller some extra looks can't be any worse than what Marlon Brown has given us so far.

#9 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:48 PM

We can't really expect to keep throwing 10 yard outs to Smith Sr. and bank on him breaking 2 or more tackles every game. Eventually teams are going to take him away. And outside of Aiken ' s handful of plays against Oakland, no other WR has shown they can give us anything.

Giving Waller some extra looks can't be any worse than what Marlon Brown has given us so far.

It's kind of remarkable how good Smith, and to some extent Flacco, have been even though teams know the ball is going to him. Smith and Flacco have both been great the past couple games at picking up huge plays. I'll credit Trestman here as well with some nice play designs to get Smith in good positions to make a play.

I don't trust Waller, but I also don't trust Marlon to make a play. I still think Campanaro has shown the most ability to get open and make the catch. He's not a deep threat though.

@gabefergy

#10 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:12 PM

It's kind of remarkable how good Smith, and to some extent Flacco, have been even though teams know the ball is going to him. Smith and Flacco have both been great the past couple games at picking up huge plays. I'll credit Trestman here as well with some nice play designs to get Smith in good positions to make a play.

I don't trust Waller, but I also don't trust Marlon to make a play. I still think Campanaro has shown the most ability to get open and make the catch. He's not a deep threat though.

Camp was in a wheel chair at the end of the game.  Hope its not to serious.

I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#11 JohnnyK27

JohnnyK27

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:56 AM

Camp was in a wheel chair at the end of the game.  Hope its not to serious.

Just lower back spasms as reported on the Ravens site.

#12 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:24 AM

So, if Perriman is any barometer, this means he severed his spine and is done forver?
  • BSLMikeRandall and Dupin like this

#13 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,651 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 11:46 AM

I think in Ravensese that means he's paralyzed from the waist down.

Never mind, found an answer going through the Tweets I missed while sleeping.  So we gave up essentially nothing:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter  3h3 hours ago
Ravens traded 7th-round pick in 2017 to Rams for WR Chris Givens. Baltimore needed WR with Steve Smith nursing back injury, Perriman down.

• Russ likes this

#14 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,841 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 October 2015 - 06:30 PM

Jeff Zrebiec @jeffzrebiecsun 7h7 hours ago

Rookie WR Darren Waller's season is over. He's placed on injured reserve.

@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners