#4261 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 11:54 AM

Beats the alternative! :)  

Hope you feel better soon.  At least you've got lots of helpers around the house to bring you things while you recuperate.

Absolutely.  On both counts.

#4262 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 April 2020 - 05:08 PM

Is anyone else here self-employed or have a business listed on Yelp, and been bombarded by them to buy advertising recently? They have called me every day this week. Smack in the middle of a pandemic with our economy in hibernation.

I get that they are probably having a tough time right now, as nearly every business is. But come on, when I didn't bother to respond to your first voicemail, you can go ahead and take that as a pretty solid hint that now is not the time to bug me about buying ads!

#4263 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:17 AM

Let's talk social work habits.  My office has a glass door that I only ever close if I'm on the phone.  There's a girl that will come to my office, stand outside the door, and literally just stand there until I get off the phone.  It doesn't matter if its 15, 20 minutes.  She'll just stand there looking at me.  It drives me nuts.

Anybody else have workplace etiquette rants?

#4264 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,841 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:22 AM

Is she hot at least?

My biggest one is the talk in circles people. It's literally painful, particularly when you're busy, and I'm generally too nice to end the conversation.
  • glenn__davis likes this
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#4265 Russ

Russ

• Moderators
  • 8,971 posts
  • LocationNaughtyham

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:26 AM

Is she hot at least?

My biggest one is the talk in circles people. It's literally painful, particularly when you're busy, and I'm generally too nice to end the conversation.

I’ve learned to tune out absolutely everyone and just listen for keywords.

#4266 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,890 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:28 AM

Anybody else have workplace etiquette rants?

When my customers burger is ready but then I have to wait five minutes for the fries. Ugh.
@BSLMikeRandall

#4267 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,497 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:42 AM

Is she hot at least?.

Lol...if she is standing there, does she at least “put em on the glass”?
@BSLRobShields

#4268 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,497 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:43 AM

My biggest rant is people not being able to follow simple instructions and when they don’t do it, wonder why things take longer.

Zero accountability.

I like my company and the people I work with but the lack of reading from some drives me nuts.
@BSLRobShields

#4269 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:44 AM

Is she hot at least?

Haha, not at all.  And I feel sleazy saying that, but there it is.

• BSLRobShields and Ricker Says like this

#4270 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,841 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:51 AM

My biggest rant is people not being able to follow simple instructions and when they don’t do it, wonder why things take longer.

Zero accountability.

I like my company and the people I work with but the lack of reading from some drives me nuts.

As the guy who produces all the job aids, quick reference guides, training manuals, etc. - I feel ya here. It's incredibly frustrating. I go through all the trouble to have these things validated over and over again by the people who will use them to make sure I'm not missing any minute detail. And the same people over and over again ask for help when the tools are right there. That said, I try to keep in mind that most adults learn visually, and some just don't process written information very well. It's not really their fault, it's how they came out.

• McNulty likes this
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#4271 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,497 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:56 AM

As the guy who produces all the job aids, quick reference guides, training manuals, etc. - I feel ya here. It's incredibly frustrating. I go through all the trouble to have these things validated over and over again by the people who will use them to make sure I'm not missing any minute detail. And the same people over and over again ask for help when the tools are right there. That said, I try to keep in mind that most adults learn visually, and some just don't process written information very well. It's not really their fault, it's how they came out.

Yea and really, my complaint is relatively minor in the grand scheme of things because the corrections are normally pretty simple.

The more annoying part isn’t them not doing it properly, it’s when the few people who don’t do it right wonder why the process is taking longer than it should and sometimes get kind of ***tty about it.
@BSLRobShields

#4272 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,453 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:29 AM

People not following instructions is a rant I can get behind as a teacher. Even more so now that we're doing online school so I'm not there to help clear up misunderstandings.

#4273 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,505 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:11 AM

The challenge in making things idiot-proof is that idiots are ingenious about finding new ways to screw things up...

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

#4274 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,618 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 09:14 PM

It's Friday night at 10pm and I'm watching YouTube videos on how to replant fing daffodils.

#4275 RShack

RShack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,505 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 01:33 AM

The War on Drugs is making my life miserable... and not because of whatever you're guessing...

I have some weird restless-leg thing that my siblings and I got from Dad... he made it to 94, so most of what I got was good... but this is driving me nuts... and making me stupid...

Dad and Mom had to get twin beds because he'd kick her in his sleep... which he didn't know he was doing... just leg spasms.  They didn't want to, but they had to...

I had zero issues with it until 2 years ago... but starting then, my legs will start bouncing around during the day... and will wake me up from sleeping... but I don't ever kick my bride in my sleep, I just way up from my legs being all squirmy...

Spent 8 months with my Dr. trying diff meds to fix it... none of them worked... until we tried a combo of 2 things... half of a 10mg hydrocodone (an opioid) and a bunch of gabapentin at bed time... that solved it... no problems at all... I could sleep again... Yay!

But then...

1.  My doc retired and closed his 1-man practice.

2.  The Feds changed the legal status of gabapentin (dunno why), this making my existing prescription suddenly worthless.

3.  But I could cope OK by taking the other half of the 10-mg hydrocodone at night.

4.  However, this caused me to use up my hydrocodone prescription faster.

5.  Now, Covid means no MD's are seeing any new patients (or any patients).

6.  I can get other meds prescribed over the phone, but nobody is gonna write me script for the stuff I need when they don't know me from Adam.

So, back to square one... I'm up anywhere from 36 to 48 hours at a time... until sheer exhaustion lets me sleep... then I sleep anywhere from 3 hours to 18 hours... and then I wake up groggy and stupid... dunno if I'm coming or going... because of this war on the very stuff I actually need...

I never used to even think about sleep.... I'd sleep whenever I wanted to... and loved it... 

But now, well, this blows... and there's no fix in sight...

You don't know what you got 'til it's gone...

#4276 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,497 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 April 2020 - 06:18 AM

Damn, that sounds horrible.

Sorry to hear that.

Was wondering why you were always posting at weird hours in the night.
  • RShack likes this
@BSLRobShields

#4277 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 119,916 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 07:26 AM

My wife has restless leg syndrome (jimmy legs lol)... 

She has gotten into running the last few years, and it's been reduced. 

She finds it also helps to do more stretching in the hours before bed. 

• RShack likes this

#4278 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,841 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 13 April 2020 - 07:55 AM

The War on Drugs is making my life miserable... and not because of whatever you're guessing...

I have some weird restless-leg thing that my siblings and I got from Dad... he made it to 94, so most of what I got was good... but this is driving me nuts... and making me stupid...

Dad and Mom had to get twin beds because he'd kick her in his sleep... which he didn't know he was doing... just leg spasms.  They didn't want to, but they had to...

I had zero issues with it until 2 years ago... but starting then, my legs will start bouncing around during the day... and will way me up from sleeping... but I don't ever kick my bride in my sleep, I just way up from my legs being all squirmy...

Spent 8 months with my Dr. trying diff meds to fix it... none of them worked... until we tried a combo of 2 things... half of a 10mg hydrocodone (an opioid) and a bunch of gabapentin at bed time... that solved it... no problems at all... I could sleep again... Yay!

But then...

1.  My doc retired and closed his 1-man practice.

2.  The Feds changed the legal status of gabapentin (dunno why), this making my existing prescription suddenly worthless.

3.  But I could cope OK by taking the other half of the 10-mg hydrocodone at night.

4.  However, this caused me to use up my hydrocodone prescription faster.

5.  Now, Covid means no MD's are seeing any new patients (or any patients).

6.  I can get other meds prescribed over the phone, but nobody is gonna write me script for the stuff I need when they don't know me from Adam.

So, back to square one... I'm up anywhere from 36 to 48 hours at a time... until sheer exhaustion lets me sleep... then I sleep anywhere from 3 hours to 18 hours... and then I wake up groggy and stupid... dunno if I'm coming or going... because of this war on the very stuff I actually need...

I never used to even think about sleep.... I'd sleep whenever I wanted to... and loved it... 

But now, well, this blows... and there's no fix in sight...

You don't know what you got 'til it's gone...

Sounds bad Shack. I have a brother who has been in and out of rehab for Heroine after getting prescribed opioids after a back surgery. I generally don't think they should even exist - but I do acknowledge that a very few % of people can handle it without it getting away to them. That said, have you considered medical marijuana and CBD as an option? I've heard very good things anecdotally about restless leg and those remedies. CBD has done wonders for me. Sorry that you're dealing with all of this Shack.

• RShack likes this

#4279 RShack

RShack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,505 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 08:33 AM

I've had prescriptions for opioids since the mid-80's... for cluster headaches... never a problem with them...  don't need them much for cluster headaches these days because I've almost-mastered the art of sensing what I call pre-symptoms... then I load up on verapamil (calcium channel blocker), and it's then a race about whether I started in time... can't take verapamil all the time because I need to dose with mega-quantities of it... but it seems to work fine, provided I pick up the pre-symptoms in time...

If opiods were gonna do me in, I'm guessing 35 years would have been plenty of time...

I suspect (but don't know for sure) that what I learned about structure from the Brit Army docs helped... I read about their study of morphine addiction after WW1... the folks who didn't get hooked used morphine in a structured way... not just whenever they felt like it.   I think that's important to my success at never having any iffy drugs causing me any problems... otherwise, cocaine would have gotten me, sure as shit... because I really like that stuff (not that I can get any these days)... so I made a point of rationing myself and not extending use for more than a short period of time...

Anyway, pot works once in a while... but I don't need to be using it all the time, it mostly makes me even stupider...  same thing with alchohol... works once in a while... but I don't wanna be drinking at 10am...  exercise and stretching stops it while I'm doing it... but as soon as I stop, it's baaaaaaack....

Thanks for the good thoughts, guys...

• Ricker Says likes this

#4280 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,841 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 13 April 2020 - 08:35 AM

Lol, all true. Especially cocaine, it's a phenomenal drug. Other than fiending for more of it the very next morning, haha.
  • RShack likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners