• Please log in to reply
4247 replies to this topic

#4201 Russ

Russ

• Moderators
  • 8,857 posts
  • LocationNaughtyham

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:42 PM

But you are a referral business. If you make the customer happy, in theory, they should send you business and you can make up for this.

And, if you don’t want to lose money, you can simply say, I wish I could help you but I can’t...give them your best and be done.

Many car salesman(although it’s not just car salesman but that’s what we are discussing here) are pushy Dbags about it and that causes people to not ever want to work with them, refer them business, etc...

It’s not that easy.

I have 9 salespeople that have to eat and we pay minis to. I have 7 dealerships within 30 miles that sell the same new cars and are advertising 1500 dollar losers online. How many referrals are we going to get when we sell a car to a customer who then looks online and sees these prices and thinks he spent 2000 too much?

It’s easy to say, well just don’t sell them. Then everything comes to a halt. There’s no new service customers, no service that requires parts, the technicians aren’t working and nobody’s getting paid. So, yeah, it costs me money personally to do the deal and the salesperson will get paid $75 for a customer that ran him ragged. But there’s 85 people working here that all have families to feed.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#4202 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,160 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:47 PM

I used a service called Shift when I bought my current car last August. The company was started in SF by two ex-Google employees, but I'm not certain if it's available on the East Coast yet or not.

Overall I'd say it was a pretty good experience. They brought the car I picked online to my home for a test drive, and since I had been pre-approved for financing, once I decided I liked the car the concierge and I sat at my kitchen table and did the "paperwork" (it was all on an iPad) and when we were done he left the keys and took an Uber back to the dealership.

By policy they don't do any negotiating, which does lead you to wonder if you could get a better deal elsewhere since it's all used cars, but my research left me feeling like I got a fair deal. And the Carfax report is available for each car they list, so you can see the full history up front.

Mostly I just liked the convenience and avoiding the whole dealership environment. Their concierges truly aren't salespeople; they're just there to deliver the car for you to test, answer any questions, and process the paperwork if you decide to buy. That's it.

#4203 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,930 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:15 PM

There are absolutely stereotypical car saleman jerks. In buying the car for my wife last year, I saw that first-hand.

Well...ok, maybe it was me because I called like a bazillion dealerships for the absolute lowest price and pretty much went, "this is the lowest I got. Whatcha got? (ended up getting the lowest price like 4 miles from the house. LOL)."

980679.jpg?b64lines=IFlPVSBXQU5UIE1ZIEFE

#4204 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,714 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:54 PM

It’s not that easy.

I have 9 salespeople that have to eat and we pay minis to. I have 7 dealerships within 30 miles that sell the same new cars and are advertising 1500 dollar losers online. How many referrals are we going to get when we sell a car to a customer who then looks online and sees these prices and thinks he spent 2000 too much?

It’s easy to say, well just don’t sell them. Then everything comes to a halt. There’s no new service customers, no service that requires parts, the technicians aren’t working and nobody’s getting paid. So, yeah, it costs me money personally to do the deal and the salesperson will get paid $75 for a customer that ran him ragged. But there’s 85 people working here that all have families to feed.

I get that but there is still an approach and a way to treat people.

That’s all I’m saying.
@BSLRobShields

#4205 Russ

Russ

• Moderators
  • 8,857 posts
  • LocationNaughtyham

Posted 10 January 2020 - 02:05 PM

I get that but there is still an approach and a way to treat people.

That’s all I’m saying.

Well, you started off saying we were all shady, lying dbags when really we are just trying to make a living. The model is broken. No doubt about that.

#4206 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,714 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 January 2020 - 02:25 PM

Well, you started off saying we were all shady, lying dbags when really we are just trying to make a living. The model is broken. No doubt about that.

Look, I was/am in the jewelry and real estate business and I can tell you those same adjectives apply to most of the sales people in those professions as well.

That’s not exclusive to car people by any means.

It’s salespeople in general..but we were talking about cars.
@BSLRobShields

#4207 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,341 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 10 January 2020 - 02:31 PM

Absolutely is. That's why I was surprised we haven't seen some kind of shift in the past decade yet. When carmax launched it changed things a bit. Taking the commission out of things, and being transparent about prices. But like you said, with razor thin margins now, someone down the street taking a slight loss on the car and making it back in financing is going to crush you in the perception market because people never think about what they are charged on financing, all they think about is what they paid for the car.

I think something like Mike was talking about using, with the deal basically agreed to online, with an administrative person to deliver and sign makes some sense...but the delivering to people's homes might be a bit much, some issues I could see with that. Having it agreed to, and then having them come in with a set appointment to meet in a private office and finish paperwork and take the car could be cut down to a short period, the problem with this is, can you get away with still paying those types of employees on commission? Cause paying them upfront as overhead could be rough.

@JeremyMStrain

#4208 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,979 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 03:07 PM

I've had 0% financing on the last 5 cars I've bought. That's usually what gets us to pull the trigger when we're in the need or the want of getting a new car.

• The Epic likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4209 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 12:26 AM

Update: the Civic has died.  She's getting towed from work to the mechanic tomorrow, and I don't expect I'll be taking her out of there.

#4210 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,821 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:23 PM

People who text like this:

McNulty

(next text)

How's it going

(next text)

I have a question for you

(next text)

Well its not a question so much as I'm curious

(next text)

For the love of god, put it all in the same thought, then hit send.  People on slack do this a lot too.  If you are one of these people, knock it off.

Chris, I deleted at least 4 curses out of there for you.  

• glenn__davis likes this

@fuzydunlop

#4211 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,821 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:26 PM

Also, while I'm on the subject of texting, if you aren't familiar with whatsapp at this point, fix it.  I'm tired of having to explain it.

I loathe that the app is owned by Facebook, but the *entire* world uses it except Americans. 

@fuzydunlop

#4212 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,763 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:37 PM

Also, while I'm on the subject of texting, if you aren't familiar with whatsapp at this point, fix it.  I'm tired of having to explain it.

I loathe that the app is owned by Facebook, but the *entire* world uses it except Americans. 

I've been thinking about this. What's the benefit of me using whatsapp? I genuinely don't know. I have used it, it's easy, but what is really in it for me? I find it annoying trying to convert the people I chat with the most to whatsapp over standard texting - it requires too much effort - and I don't enjoy going multiple places to read/check messages/texts.

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#4213 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,868 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:44 PM

Not sure there is anything you can't do on FBs Messenger.

#4214 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,821 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:45 PM

Two, and possibly three reasons:

1. Point to Point encryption. I had an extremely well placed US Intel official tell me for about 10 minutes how difficult these types of apps have been for them to break into.  So it gives you much better privacy than iMessage, for example.  

2. You can make phone calls with data very easy.  I know, the iPhone for example, has wifi calling, facetime, etc.  But those options aren't as easy.  I'd rather go to the dentist than try to facetime, but if someone has an Android phone, you can't really get around it.  This app cuts straight through that.  If you ever travel abroad, this will save your family from getting charged for receiving international texts/calls.  

3. I put this as a possible, because one thing I learned from being overseas is how much we in the US overpay for cell service (although lately its been getting better), but depending on your plan this will save you some cash by only using data.  

You certainly don't need it here in the states, but at least have a clue what it is. 

Lastly I'll add, I switched to Visible as a provider last week and its been fantastic.  Did it all online, they overnighted me a cell chip, ported my same number for me super easy, and its $40 a month (including taxes) unlimited everything including 5gps hotspot.  On verizon's network.  They also just added a party plan option, where each person in your 'party' reduces everyone's bill for 5 bucks a month, capped at 4 people (so 25 is the lowest you can go).  Brilliant so far.

• Ricker Says likes this

@fuzydunlop

#4215 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,821 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:46 PM

Not sure there is anything you can't do on FBs Messenger.

Can you share location and/or voice call?  I only have it installed on my iPad so I never use it.  

@fuzydunlop

#4216 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,930 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:47 PM

3. I put this as a possible, because one thing I learned from being overseas is how much we in the US overpay for cell service (although lately its been getting better), but depending on your plan this will save you some cash by only using data.  

You certainly don't need it here in the states, but at least have a clue what it is. 

We have a buddy living in Europe currently .  We switched from a group Text to WhatsApp a couple of years ago to save him some coin as well.  It's easy to use

• McNulty likes this

#4217 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,821 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:48 PM

We have a buddy living in Europe currently .  We switched from a group Text to WhatsApp a couple of years ago to save him some coin as well.  It's easy to use

DUFFMAN IS THRUSTING IN THE DIRECTION OF THE...SOLUTION!

• The Epic, DJ MC and DuffMan like this

@fuzydunlop

#4218 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,868 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:08 PM

Can you share location and/or voice call?  I only have it installed on my iPad so I never use it.  

You can call. Believe you can share location, if you've allowed your location to be shown on your notifications. 

#4219 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,821 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 28 January 2020 - 06:16 PM

I still have the messenger, but I deleted my facebook page years ago.  I judge people pretty hard if they still use it.  

I admit this is my issue, but with every evil thing they do AND how annoying the use of the actual product is, I don't get why anyone has it.

'But, I keep in touch with family/friends this way!' you'll say.  My counter is that if they don't text you, they aren't close enough to warrant keeping tabs on anyway.  I enjoy the Ryan Bingham Empty Backpack type of lifestyle, though.

@fuzydunlop

#4220 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,741 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 January 2020 - 06:22 PM

I still have the messenger, but I deleted my facebook page years ago. I judge people pretty hard if they still use it.

I admit this is my issue, but with every evil thing they do AND how annoying the use of the actual product is, I don't get why anyone has it.

'But, I keep in touch with family/friends this way!' you'll say. My counter is that if they don't text you, they aren't close enough to warrant keeping tabs on anyway. I enjoy the Ryan Bingham Empty Backpack type of lifestyle, though.

You must be a blast at parties.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners