#4081 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,213 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:05 AM

Barstool spiking the football on Deadspin's grave is...like, I like certain aspects of Barstool but it makes it -very- hard to support anyone on that site.

Whitlock is doing the same thing, which is...hilarious for entirely different reasons.

Deadspin was willing to hold them accountable when others weren't. Of course they are celebrating.

Drew Magary resigned this morning, along a few other writers. Basically the whole staff has left at this point, and they are throwing up their few remaining stories.

@DJ_McCann

#4082 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,213 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:06 AM

Because they both try to out douche each other.

Ah, the "there's good people on both sides" false equivalency defense.

@DJ_McCann

#4083 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,898 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:21 AM

Ah, the "there's good people on both sides" false equivalency defense.

No, I don’t think any of them are good.
  • BSLChrisStoner and glenn__davis like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#4084 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,594 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:45 AM

I think Deadspin was good from what I saw.

#4085 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:53 AM

No, I don’t think any of them are good.

Yeah - I can't say I follow either one of them at all, but whenever someone here posts something from either site I pretty much always think it's terrible.  Different strokes for different folks I suppose.  To me they're all examples of the snarky and not nearly as clever as they think they are modern "journalists", but obviously they appeal to some.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#4086 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,898 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:20 PM

It’s counterculture I guess. it’s got its niche.

Barstool far more douchey and far more misogynistic than Deadspin. But Deadspin isn’t anywhere near journalism. Hard to take it seriously when half the headlines have “fuck” in them.

I cuss like a sailor, but time and place.
@BSLMikeRandall

#4087 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,475 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:30 PM

Who’s going to tell me about the Ravens’ fans’ camo pants next summer???!!!!
  • Chris B likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#4088 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,213 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:39 PM

But Deadspin isn’t anywhere near journalism. Hard to take it seriously when half the headlines have “fuck” in them.

giphy.gif

@DJ_McCann

#4089 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:42 PM

Who’s going to tell me about the Ravens’ fans’ camo pants next summer???!!!!

Alas...

I resigned from Deadspin today. No more Funbag questions. No more Jamboroos. No more telling you why your team, and your children’s television program, and the St. Louis Cardinals, and Christmas catalogs, and mayonnaiseall suck. At least, not hereNothing stopping me from taking those toys elsewhere.

https://drewmagary.k...work-1839505029

#4090 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 115,307 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:57 PM

Alas...

https://drewmagary.k...work-1839505029

His quote is exactly why any outrage here is silly to me. 

Companies have the right to have policies. 

Employees can decide if they want to stay or leave. 

Magary and the other employees have left... good for them. They are doing what makes sense to them.   
They always have the right to start their own entity, or write somewhere else that wants the material they want to write about. 

They could have left things at that and said, "Deadspin's new CEO does not want the material we want to write about, so we're leaving." 

Why they think as employees they should have complete editorial control is beyond me.
You want complete editorial control? Start your own entity.  

#4091 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:17 PM

Here's The Ringer on Deadspin.

https://www.theringe...en-sports-media

#4092 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,107 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 31 October 2019 - 03:32 PM

His quote is exactly why any outrage here is silly to me. 

Companies have the right to have policies. 

Employees can decide if they want to stay or leave. 

Magary and the other employees have left... good for them. They are doing what makes sense to them.   
They always have the right to start their own entity, or write somewhere else that wants the material they want to write about. 

They could have left things at that and said, "Deadspin's new CEO does not want the material we want to write about, so we're leaving." 

Why they think as employees they should have complete editorial control is beyond me.
You want complete editorial control? Start your own entity.  

The bitching about G/O media (while absolutely warranted, btw) was not what I was going for here. 

I'm specifically mentioning Barstool. 

I think Barstool does have redeeming qualities, and I'm sure I'm in the minority here for thinking so. But there's a lot of awful people here (including Portnoy), to be clear. 

• Chris B likes this

#4093 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,213 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 03:54 PM

The bitching about G/O media (while absolutely warranted, btw) was not what I was going for here. 

I'm specifically mentioning Barstool. 

I think Barstool does have redeeming qualities, and I'm sure I'm in the minority here for thinking so. But there's a lot of awful people here (including Portnoy), to be clear. 

Barstool's problem is that they tend to attract a certain type of person based on their leadership. So if you know going in the aspects of that leadership and that fanbase, it becomes more difficult to justify supporting that kind of place if you are the kind of person who feels like they need to do so.

Would you continue to go to a bar where the owner was a complete ass and most of the customers followed that lead, just because you like a particular bartender?

@DJ_McCann

#4094 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,067 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 October 2019 - 03:59 PM

I can’t believe anyone takes either site seriously
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this
@BSLRobShields

#4095 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,067 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:16 AM

https://www.yahoo.co...-002022766.html

:(
@BSLRobShields

#4096 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,107 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:48 AM

Barstool's problem is that they tend to attract a certain type of person based on their leadership. So if you know going in the aspects of that leadership and that fanbase, it becomes more difficult to justify supporting that kind of place if you are the kind of person who feels like they need to do so.

Would you continue to go to a bar where the owner was a complete ass and most of the customers followed that lead, just because you like a particular bartender?

This is a loaded question, but...in short, maybe. And I fully understand my hypocrisy there. It's pretty much the "can you root for [NFL team]/WWE" question to a much smaller scale.

And Rob, I don't take Barstool "seriously" other than my being entertained by some aspects. Deadspin had some -really- good articles but I don't think it'll be widely missed in the grand scheme. I think the vast majority of the leavers will get picked up on other sites. The Ringer (who is also in the unionizing stage) could pick up a couple and really be beneficial to both parties.

#4097 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,213 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 11:10 AM

This is a loaded question, but...in short, maybe. And I fully understand my hypocrisy there. It's pretty much the "can you root for [NFL team]/WWE" question to a much smaller scale.

Right, which is why I picked that example. I think website-to-bar works better than comparing it to a sports team/league, but there are parallels, too.

• The Epic likes this
@DJ_McCann

#4098 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:09 PM

Had to intervene in a, shall we say, "heated discussion" yesterday between parents of my son's soccer team and an opposing team.  It was about 1 wrong word away from being a brawl.  The boys are 11 years old by the way.

#4099 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,242 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:24 PM

Had to intervene in a, shall we say, "heated discussion" yesterday between parents of my son's soccer team and an opposing team.  It was about 1 wrong word away from being a brawl.  The boys are 11 years old by the way.

Be amazed how often I see that. Every sport too. I tell parents every year when I give my speech that youth sports would be perfect if we could take the parents out of it.

I got worked up at a game a couple weeks ago, never to the point of wanting to fight someone, but U10 girls soccer, and their previously unbeaten team was down 2-0 at the half. They were LOSING their minds because their 4 super talented girls, who usually can do whatever they want when they want ran into our team which is REALLY tough defensively and they got frustrated and started pushing, elbowing, and two handed shoving girls. One girl went completely horizontal in a diving shove to try to stop a girl from getting a shot on goal, tackled our player...no call. Girl had a hand up under our players jersey and flipped her over onto the ground...no call. LOTS of these, and when our coach complained and told the ref it was getting unsafe out there he said, "it's fine, don't tell me how to do my job little girl". I was a bit outspoken down the stretch and yelled at the other team's parents they were too talented to be playing that dirty and if they were ok with their girls tackling girls to try to win a meaningless 10 year old soccer game, they should feel pathetic for their parenting choices. My kid is a physical player, loves grinding and playing D, but if she was doing the stuff they were, I would have pulled her out of the game myself.

@JeremyMStrain

#4100 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 03:21 PM

Oh yeah, there's jawing at a lot of games.  Not like this though. This was 2 lines of parents about to square off lol.

I've noticed that PA parents seems to be the worst.  I got into some (mostly) friendly banter with one of them once and he told me he doesn't feel like he did his job if the referee doesn't give him a warning at some point during the game.  He wasn't really joking either.  Like honestly he thinks that it's part of his job to get on the ref.  And people wonder why we can't find enough refs for some of these games.

• JeremyStrain likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners