Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,772 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:14 AM

F the cell phone companies.

I hate the way they do new phones now.  Used to be, you can sign a 2 year contract and get the phone really cheap.

Now they say, well you don't have to sign a contract but you have to pay full retail for the phone.

Its bullshit.  You should get the option to sign a contract or not.

Well, the telecom industry is hurting and needs to make more money. 

This is the problem with unchecked capitalism. You can't trust greedy execs to not be greedy. They legit think they are hurting, yet make $1.5 trillion a year in revenue as an industry. 

BTW - this is not a red vs. blue problem - as the entire industry is on the donation sheets for both parties across the board.

• BSLRobShields likes this
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#4042 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,851 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:17 AM

I make my phones last 3-4 years and never buy right when the new models come out to save some money.  Getting the latest and greatest features added with each release is not really a priority for me so this works out well.

#4043 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,433 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:29 AM

Well, the telecom industry is hurting and needs to make more money. 

This is the problem with unchecked capitalism. You can't trust greedy execs to not be greedy. They legit think they are hurting, yet make $1.5 trillion a year in revenue as an industry. 

BTW - this is not a red vs. blue problem - as the entire industry is on the donation sheets for both parties across the board.

Yea...its a red AND blue problem.  Fucking thieves.

I just love how they look at you in the face and make it seem like they are doing you a favor by not having you sign a contract.  It makes me want to reach across the counter and punch the fucker in the face but its not their fault the phone companies suck.  Its just so irritating.

And of course, they keep making the phones more and more expensive because of all the cool shit they put on them.  

@BSLRobShields

#4044 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,675 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:33 AM

Rob, buy an unlocked phone on amazon and go with visible. They use Verizon’s network and it’s $40 unlimited everything.

An iPhone 7 is like 225.
  • Ricker Says likes this

@fuzydunlop

#4045 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:52 AM

Wasn't really sure where to put this and maybe it's being discussed elsewhere but didn't see it.  Le'Ron McClain seems to be battling some serious issues.  Tough to read.

https://www.espn.com...s-nfl-help-head

#4046 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,207 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:13 AM

F the cell phone companies.

I hate the way they do new phones now.  Used to be, you can sign a 2 year contract and get the phone really cheap.

Now they say, well you don't have to sign a contract but you have to pay full retail for the phone.

Its bullshit.  You should get the option to sign a contract or not.

Well it depends on how you use it, it's not as straightforward as that, but then again they don't explain shit.

IF you pay the monthly fee out over 2 years, you paid the retail price for the phone. Plus side of that, if you hold on to it and use it for another 2 years, it's free, you already own it.

You can also trade it in and get a new phone at the halfway point, which is probably about what we would have paid before with the contracts. So say you are that guy that wants the newest apple phone every year, as long as you keep trading it in at that half way point you're basically leasing it, they get to resell it as refurbished, and you keep paying similar monthly rates indefinitely but always have the newest phone.

Basically they shifted to the car buying model. You can buy, and pay a shit ton for financing over 5-6 years but then you own it. So if you are easy on it and not racking up a ton of miles and can get it to last you 10 years, you pay half price over the lifetime of the car. If you are fairly normal on a car and put up the 20k miles per year range, you'll be hitting that point where things need replaced and redone when you are finished paying for it, so yeah you own it, but now those expenses are yours and just eat away at your value. OR you can lease, and then give it back to them and start over with something new. In theory you don't have to worry about maint. or expenses, but they get the resale value of selling it again, and you just get another car with a similar payment.

So like Mack said, the real value now is keeping in it good working order for 3-4 years before you get a new one. This is my first iPhone but I'm on year 4 right now. You can also go to apple and have them put a new battery in it for like $40, that itself will make it close to new. Factory reset and wipe the thing, and then redo it and you basically just self refurbished it for $40 bucks, Should last another 2-3 years from there easy.

With 5G hitting roll out now, I wouldn't be looking to buy a phone for the next 6 months at least until that's standard.

@JeremyMStrain

#4047 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,772 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:21 AM

I wouldn't worry about 5G at all until the network is built beyond just major metropolitan areas. Right now, even if you have a 5G device, you're likely not getting 5G unless you're in a major city.
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#4048 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,207 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:28 AM

I wouldn't worry about 5G at all until the network is built beyond just major metropolitan areas. Right now, even if you have a 5G device, you're likely not getting 5G unless you're in a major city.

I say that on here, because it's going live for us right now. I mean I'm smack in between DC and BMore and it's live for me now (was looking to add my kid the other day)

@JeremyMStrain

#4049 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,772 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:29 AM

I say that on here, because it's going live for us right now. I mean I'm smack in between DC and BMore and it's live for me now (was looking to add my kid the other day)

Laurel? Where are you? I'm shocked we don't have it in North Bethesda/ South Rockville.(Although I've only searched Verizon)

#4050 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,772 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:31 AM

It's funny because Sprint honestly doesn't even have reliable 4G yet unless you're really close to a major city.

#4051 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,207 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:38 AM

Laurel? Where are you? I'm shocked we don't have it in North Bethesda/ South Rockville.(Although I've only searched Verizon)

Crofton, we are on the line between DC and Bmore markets (we have both TV broadcasts) but they said it was "washington DC" so who knows what actual real estate that covers.

@JeremyMStrain

#4052 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,849 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:36 PM

I had Sprint for years and hated it. 2 years ago we switched to T-Mobile, I've been pretty happy with it.   In June I paid off the S7's for both my wife and I.  My wife responded by saying now she can get a new phone, I kindly explained to her that we were now saving 50 a month on our bill and would like to keep it that way for a while!

#4053 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:37 AM

Wow! I'm in trouble I guess! I got 2 emails titled overnight...

- We noticed an unusual activity on your zoominternet account

And I must update my information in order to avoid interruption of my service.

- We noticed an unusual activity

They noticed unusual activity on my American Express card. Hmmmm, I don't have an Amex card!

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#4054 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,675 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:53 AM

Goddamn I'm sick of hurricanes.

@fuzydunlop

#4055 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:02 AM

I live in northern Carroll County, pretty much in the heart of redneck country, and the mullets coming back into style amongst the youth are just atrocious.  Must have seen 20 of them at back to school nights.

#4056 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,433 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:16 AM

I live in northern Carroll County, pretty much in the heart of redneck country, and the mullets coming back into style amongst the youth are just atrocious. Must have seen 20 of them at back to school nights.

Everyone wants to be Hunter Harvey
@BSLRobShields

#4057 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 05:59 PM

I started to write this in the Covention Center Expansion thread but ...

The city needs to get it's crime problem under control because nobody from out of town will want to come to city until they do. When a family from NJ is visiting the city for a weekend and encounter a squeegee kid at President and Lombard St. They tell him no thanks, he does it anyway. And when they refused to pay, he shatters the left rear window sending glass onto their 2 year old sleeping in a car seat. They go back to NJ, they tell their friends. They tell social media of a city not to go to.

"It was a red light. We weren't moving. Once it turned green, we started moving. That's when the window came in," Steve told the I-Team on Friday.

He said the glass fell on his 2-year-old daughter, who was sleeping in her car seat.

"My wife was screaming, terrified, glass all over her. Luckily, she was sleeping and didn't see the incident occur," Steve said. "I'm really glad no one was hurt, that's the main thing."

The family canceled their planned adventure, a tour on the Urban Pirates ship. Steve said after the teen broke the window, he drove three blocks away.

"I wasn't sure how to respond. I didn't want to escalate the situation further. If I would react, I didn't know what was going to happen," Steve said.

He said he called police several times, waited about 45 minutes, then drove to the Central District police station, where an officer met him. He said he was surprised by the response he received from other officers, who claimed what happened was "normal."

https://www.wbaltv.c...oddler/28801199

• BSLRobShields likes this

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#4058 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,029 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:38 AM

I'm not saying that this isn't true (because I've definitely heard my share of horror stories regarding these kids), buuuuuut...has anybody at all corroborated this story? Has anybody seen this at all? 

#4059 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,433 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:56 AM

I'm not saying that this isn't true (because I've definitely heard my share of horror stories regarding these kids), buuuuuut...has anybody at all corroborated this story? Has anybody seen this at all?

Do you think other squeegee kids are going to “rat” on their friend?
@BSLRobShields

#4060 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,029 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:34 AM

Do you think other squeegee kids are going to “rat” on their friend?

On President and Lombard, one of the busiest intersections in the city, in the daytime, he was literally the only driver on the road? Nobody else reported this at all or could be found to say that this happened? That's all I'm saying. 

• DJ MC likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners