#3921 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,081 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:03 PM

Well when something like this doesn't happen very often, then it's easy to be caught off guard when 400 kids form a "coordinated effort" to do it.

I don't think this is some pervasive issue in the Harbor/downtown area.  If more and more things like this happen then yea, hit the panic button, but for now I think it's an unfortunate one-off. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3922 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,995 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:04 PM

Did you not see the videos?  This wasn't some made up shit.  This is the type of attitude that continues to allow this stuff to happen.

Just sweep it under the rug, pretend it didn't happen and chalk it up to "misunderstood youths".  Fucking ridiculous.

This was a coordinated effort from 400 kids that just wanted to cause issues.   It was their goal to do that.

From the article:

Still, most of the children came and went peacefully, officials say. And those few troublemakers mostly fought each other.

@DJ_McCann

#3923 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:05 PM

Headline: "BALTIMORE: Thugs Randomly Beating People and Causing Chaos at Inner Harbor"

Yeah, that sounds like a beginning to a reasonable discussion that should be taken seriously, and not just clickbait for scared white people.

Dude...WCBM. I mean, what did you expect?

I'm not adding anything here. lol

#3924 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,258 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:08 PM

Well when something like this doesn't happen very often, then it's easy to be caught off guard when 400 kids form a "coordinated effort" to do it.

I don't think this is some pervasive issue in the Harbor/downtown area.  If more and more things like this happen then yea, hit the panic button, but for now I think it's an unfortunate one-off. 

I do agree with this...but its also the type of incident that makes  people say, fuck that city, I am not going to it. It does hurt tourism, business, etc...That's just a fact.  

It also is an issue to the naive people who think everything is fine and no one ever has anything to worry about.

You do have reason to worry and lots of people and businesses are tired of it.

@BSLRobShields

#3925 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,258 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:10 PM

From the article:

Who gives a fuck?

You want to drive the narrative about how cops are assholes but they all aren't causing issues..in fact, most aren't.

Unfortunately, when a minority amount of people fuck up, the majority of the people are blamed.  Its just how it goes.

And yes, I would hope out of 400 fucking people that the majority would leave peacefully.

@BSLRobShields

#3926 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,258 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:12 PM

Dude...WCBM. I mean, what did you expect?

I'm not adding anything here. lol

The source doesn't really matter.  The same damn article is being written everywhere, even the liberal Sun has tons of the same article.

People don't like the use of the word thugs.

This is the dictionary definition of thug:

A thug is typically referred to a male or female who commits crimes for personal gain through stealing, selling drugs, but especially violent crimes such as robberyand assault.

Seems like a pretty accurate word to use in this case.  

@BSLRobShields

#3927 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,995 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:19 PM

You want to drive the narrative about how cops are assholes but they all aren't causing issues..in fact, most aren't.

Pot and kettle.

@DJ_McCann

#3928 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:23 PM

People don't like the use of the word thugs.

Are you at least aware of why?

I mean, you can literally look up anything related to "why is thug pejorative" tbh. Things go beyond Webster's sometimes.

#3929 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,258 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:30 PM

Are you at least aware of why?

I mean, you can literally look up anything related to "why is thug pejorative" tbh. Things go beyond Webster's sometimes.

But you know what, at some point you have to get past this.

Don’t get me wrong, I get that it’s not easy to be in “your shoes” and I’m not trying to belittle that.

What I am saying is that there are just times where strong words need to be said. Where you need to say, fuck this PC bullshit and call it what it is.

Personally, I don’t care about the headline and didn’t even pay attention to it.

Could they have said, “a group of youths” instead of thugs? Sure they could have. We know that thugs will get more clicks, that’s the way the world works in anything.

But is the use of the word thugs wrong in this case? No it’s not. Nowhere in the definition I copied and pasted is race in there. If people want to turn it into a racial thing, so be it. I’m not and have no desire to.
@BSLRobShields

#3930 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,121 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:36 PM

Did you not see the videos?  This wasn't some made up shit.  This is the type of attitude that continues to allow this stuff to happen.

Just sweep it under the rug, pretend it didn't happen and chalk it up to "misunderstood youths".  Fucking ridiculous.

This was a coordinated effort from 400 kids that just wanted to cause issues.   It was their goal to do that.

And again, do the videos show all of the interaction for the entire evening and follow every single thing that led to it?

I'm not even saying that things aren't exactly what your perceptions are. But they are your perceptions, and your preconceived bias feeds right into it. Just pointing out that none of us were there and it's extremely easy and likely that seeing stuff online leaves a lot of context out.

No one said anything about misunderstood youths. All I said is stop acting like you were there and know the "truth" cause you don't.

What do you wanna do? Marital Law? Build a wall around West Baltimore? All I'm saying is you are quick to throw out those same old answers we hear from grumpy 80 year old white guys with MAGA hats on, but why does anyone think you're going to make ANYTHING great again by assuming, stereotyping and further dividing everyone?

We aren't far away from having an East and West America at this point.

@JeremyMStrain

#3931 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,258 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:40 PM

And again, do the videos show all of the interaction for the entire evening and follow every single thing that led to it?

I'm not even saying that things aren't exactly what your perceptions are. But they are your perceptions, and your preconceived bias feeds right into it. Just pointing out that none of us were there and it's extremely easy and likely that seeing stuff online leaves a lot of context out.

No one said anything about misunderstood youths. All I said is stop acting like you were there and know the "truth" cause you don't.

What do you wanna do? Marital Law? Build a wall around West Baltimore? All I'm saying is you are quick to throw out those same old answers we hear from grumpy 80 year old white guys with MAGA hats on, but why does anyone think you're going to make ANYTHING great again by assuming, stereotyping and further dividing everyone?

We aren't far away from having an East and West America at this point.

Nothing can be done because not enough people in the city want change.

All of this shit starts at home. Until they want it to change, there is nothing you can do.

Still, the police should be allowed to do their jobs again. Right now, they can’t.

The dividing of the country is coming from both sides but it’s driven by the media more than anything else.
@BSLRobShields

#3932 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:45 PM

I don't know if these kids necessarily acted any differently than any group of 400 14-years would have.  If you had taken 400 kids from my middle school and dropped us unsupervised in the Inner Harbor, a lot us of probably would have run around like crazy people, there would have been some fights, and some kids would have stolen stuff.  That's just how 14 year olds are.

Still, I've worked downtown for close to 30 years, and until a year or two ago, no one I worked with ever had a problem.  Since then, a few people have been mugged or had their phones stolen, always by groups of teenagers, mostly in broad daylight.  So something needs to change.  One of my coworkers was hospitalized, and another was beat up pretty badly.

I don't know what the answer is, though.  There really isn't anything the cops can do to the kids, and unfortunately the kids know it.

• BSLSeanJester likes this

#3933 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,121 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:53 PM

Nothing can be done because not enough people in the city want change.

All of this shit starts at home. Until they want it to change, there is nothing you can do.

Still, the police should be allowed to do their jobs again. Right now, they can’t.

The dividing of the country is coming from both sides but it’s driven by the media more than anything else.

I agree that a majority of police have drawn a short stick. It's hard to do a job where you risk your life and have to constantly be on your toes if you want to get home to see your kids in the morning. That's going to make doing your job, and not going over the top out of fear much harder. But at the same time, I've known plenty of cops that were exactly the racist assholes you see get portrayed by the media. It's not like they are being made up. They really are that way. Just like you want the masses to not overreact to every cop and start slinging death threats, cause they might be one of the good ones, they've got to remember that plenty of these people are good people too and they might not have to start off at defcon 1 every time.

I have a hard time, I have friends that are cops, and good people, and I want them to come home safe, even if they have to be a dick to not put themselves too much at risk, but I'm also not hoping they go out and beat a stupid kid into the ground because he's being an asshole and trying to get a rise out of them. It's a horrible situation when both sides are scared to death and both have good reason to be.

But people just bitching about it isn't helping things. When people have answers about what they can do, versus just complaining about it they should be allowed to get as loud as they want, but until then we just have to combating views that aren't going to see middle ground anytime soon.

Are there people out there targeting cops and killing people because they are bad people? Yes. Are there cops out there abusing their power and killing people at the drop of a dime because they have personal biases? Yes. Now how do we fix those?

• DJ MC likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#3934 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,258 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:07 PM

There are shit people in any profession, including cops.

But that doesn’t mean you take their jobs away and effectively make them useless.

But again, you are taking this to a point that wasn’t intended.

This is about the narrative that Baltimore is fine and people are blowing things out of proportion.

This is another example of how that is just naive bs being spouted by those people.

It’s a real problem for businesses, tourism and locals who used to like going down there.

You think the NFL sees this and is like yea, Baltimore is a good place to host the draft! Do you think a small business owner who wants to expand or start their business sees this and says yep, that’s the place I want to be!
@BSLRobShields

#3935 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,258 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:08 PM

Oh and Jeremy, you will never get rid of hate. That’s pollyanna, kumbaya type questioning. It’s not realistic.

You just have to get rid of the shit people as best as you can.

For cops, hopefully the body cameras will help with that.
@BSLRobShields

#3936 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,258 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:17 PM

I don't know if these kids necessarily acted any differently than any group of 400 14-years would have. If you had taken 400 kids from my middle school and dropped us unsupervised in the Inner Harbor, a lot us of probably would have run around like crazy people, there would have been some fights, and some kids would have stolen stuff. That's just how 14 year olds are.

Still, I've worked downtown for close to 30 years, and until a year or two ago, no one I worked with ever had a problem. Since then, a few people have been mugged or had their phones stolen, always by groups of teenagers, mostly in broad daylight. So something needs to change. One of my coworkers was hospitalized, and another was beat up pretty badly.

I don't know what the answer is, though. There really isn't anything the cops can do to the kids, and unfortunately the kids know it.

Well they were 14-18 years old. I don’t necessarily disagree but you also don’t see coordinated efforts like this being done with the purpose of causing trouble.

This is a little big different than saying, well teenagers do dumb shit.
@BSLRobShields

#3937 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,121 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:18 PM

There are shit people in any profession, including cops.

But that doesn’t mean you take their jobs away and effectively make them useless.

But again, you are taking this to a point that wasn’t intended.

This is about the narrative that Baltimore is fine and people are blowing things out of proportion.

This is another example of how that is just naive bs being spouted by those people.

It’s a real problem for businesses, tourism and locals who used to like going down there.

You think the NFL sees this and is like yea, Baltimore is a good place to host the draft! Do you think a small business owner who wants to expand or start their business sees this and says yep, that’s the place I want to be!

You think this exact stuff isn't happening in almost all major cities? Now who is naive?

No one is saying to get rid of hate. I'm saying take away the excuses for the extreme reactions, and then people have to adjust to either just being straight criminals (on both sides) or stop the reactions.  Just calling it hate and saying there's no reasons for it is a cop out and why no one has any actual suggestions.

@JeremyMStrain

#3938 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:19 PM

For cops, hopefully the body cameras will help with that.

Well, remember: those body cameras aren't entirely great here.

https://www.washingt...m=.be72d03736c7

But I do agree that body cameras are a big net positive. Now they need to actually get quality people in the police department.

#3939 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,258 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:24 PM

You think this exact stuff isn't happening in almost all major cities? Now who is naive?

No one is saying to get rid of hate. I'm saying take away the excuses for the extreme reactions, and then people have to adjust to either just being straight criminals (on both sides) or stop the reactions.  Just calling it hate and saying there's no reasons for it is a cop out and why no one has any actual suggestions.

Of course it is...but who the fuck cares?  We are talking about here.

Parents are the solution.  Thats all it boils down to.

@BSLRobShields

#3940 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,258 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:24 PM

Well, remember: those body cameras aren't entirely great here.

https://www.washingt...m=.be72d03736c7

But I do agree that body cameras are a big net positive. Now they need to actually get quality people in the police department.

And on the streets

@BSLRobShields

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners