Photo

BSL Film Room: Much more to the Gillmore TD (that wasn't)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,033 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:08 PM

http://baltimorespor...lmore-td-wasnt/

Everyone remembers Crockett Gillmore running like a man possessed, truck sticking his way to the endzone on Saturday night. Unfortunately it was called back. But there was a lot more to this play than just Gillmore running people over. It took a number a guys simultaneously doing some part to get him there. 

• BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,278 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:35 PM

Excellent break down of how the play developed Mike.

Mike Tanier (formerly Football Outsiders, Sports on Earth, currently Bleacher Report) was pretty high on Gillmore after the draft last year. I thought Crockett showed good signs in his limited opportunities.

Few plays this Summer have me really encouraged that he can help.  Would be excellent if he can work the seam consistently.

(And if Williams is also quickly ready to do the same.)

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#3 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,655 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:39 PM

Harbaugh said today that the NFL said the offensive Pi call on that play was wrong and that the TD should have counted.
@BSLRobShields

#4 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:36 AM

Harbaugh said today that the NFL said the offensive Pi call on that play was wrong and that the TD should have counted.

In the one picture you can see Aiken clearly pushing off with his hands extended. I'm not a fan of calls being made on infractions that are no where close to the play. But when two hands go on the upper body of a defensive player and clearly extend out, you're putting yourself at risk of an interference call.

#5 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,216 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:50 AM

Wasn't it within five yards of line of scrimmage?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#6 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,033 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:01 AM

I could be wrong, but it looked like from what I could see, the flag came in from the official deep in the end zone. Not the one standing 10 feet from Aiken. Unless that flag was for the roughing the passer.

Like Bigsy, I hate the ticky tack calls away from the play. But the official sees that from Aiken, and has to call it. The play could have went to him.

It also is preseason for the refs too. Ive heard comments in the past that refs get "points of emphasis" before the season. They are sort of encouraged to be flag happy this way. But damn, if it isnt getting to the point where you can throw a flag for "illegal contact" anytime there is a finger laid on a guy. If they did away with just "illegal contact" and it has to either be pass interference (when the ball is in the air) or holding (grabbing, turning, before the ball is in the air), the game flow would be so much better.

I digress
@BSLMikeRandall

#7 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,033 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:03 AM

Wasn't it within five yards of line of scrimmage?

Yeah. But im not sure that means much anymore. I thought they actually changed it to one yard a couple years ago.
@BSLMikeRandall

#8 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,033 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:17 AM

Curious on your guys thoughts on this piece. My second time ever working with the game film.

Likes, dislikes, any feedback would be helpful to make these as best I can.
@BSLMikeRandall

#9 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,655 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:30 AM

The PI was called on Marlon Brown I believe.
@BSLRobShields

#10 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,033 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:58 AM

The PI was called on Marlon Brown I believe.

They said #11.
@BSLMikeRandall

#11 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,216 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:54 AM

They said #11.

Right.

I watched Aiken on the replay and there was some contact but it looked minor, and within 5 yards of scrimmage.

So unless it was Brown, and they called the wrong number I didn't see much OPI.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#12 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,655 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:03 AM

I thought it was Brown because I thought the announce crew said it was Brown...which they probably did because they are awful.

That being said, it should have been a TD and certainly could have made the game look different the other day and it would have been an even more impressive offensive performance.

@BSLRobShields

#13 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:02 PM

Curious on your guys thoughts on this piece. My second time ever working with the game film.

Likes, dislikes, any feedback would be helpful to make these as best I can.

I think you did a really good job. Good description of what was going on from the offense and the defense. Highlighted everything important involved in the play.

I really feel like this was the play of the game for me. Moreso than the TD to Smith. We know Smith Sr. is capable of plays like that. But to see Gilmore make a play like that. That ensures a lot of confidence in him becoming the starter. If he can run after the catch like that every time he gets it, he could become a lumbering playmaker in our offense.

Come to think about it, the guy is like 270 lbs. I imagine that's a scary feeling in the secondary if he gets a full head of steam and it's just you and him.
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners