#561 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:16 PM

Adding Nickelodeon is pretty key for people with kids.

#562 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 08:44 AM

MASN is going to start streaming, but for now only as part of AT&T's $80/mo Max Bundle.

https://www.forbes.c...e/#729e8e0314a8

#563 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 21,629 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 24 July 2020 - 10:05 AM

MASN is going to start streaming, but for now only as part of AT&T's $80/mo Max Bundle.

lol pass

#564 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,511 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 24 July 2020 - 10:43 AM

Trying the CyberGhost/MLB.tv on my Fire Stick for the first time tonight. Hope everything runs smoothly.

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#565 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,530 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:51 PM

Of course when I just canceled my AT&T $65 plan... (Just don't watch it enough to justify the price)

Better than nothing, hopefully they get a standalone app one day.

#566 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 21,629 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 July 2020 - 07:49 AM

Ended up going with a Nord VPN for a month to test it out... worked well for me with last night. Just have to figure out how to set it up on my router now so I don’t have to use the laptop/hdmi hookup combo.

#567 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,397 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:31 AM

So I was watching the PGA Championship through ESPN+ on the fire stick app starting at 10am the last two days. Regular coverage on cable started at 4pm. So if through the app you wanted to watch regular coverage, you have to have a cable provider. Defeats the purpose of watching through the app.

Also, 3 times Thursday and twice yesterday, the feed just cut out and I had to reopen it. Few seconds to buffer. I would have been extremely pissed had this been like 4th and goal during a football game. Thankfully just golf on a weekday and not a sport that moves fast or has key moments throughout.

I know it’s not my internet because I have 600mbps speed (or whatever the acronym is). Before Covid I’ve had 10 guys over for fantasy drafts all hooked into the WiFi while my wife watches Netflix upstairs, no issues.

I look for ways to cut the cord so bad, but I can’t come to grips with the potential problems like this that cable doesn’t have.
@BSLMikeRandall

#568 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,530 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted Yesterday, 06:37 AM

So I was watching the PGA Championship through ESPN+ on the fire stick app starting at 10am the last two days. Regular coverage on cable started at 4pm. So if through the app you wanted to watch regular coverage, you have to have a cable provider. Defeats the purpose of watching through the app.

Also, 3 times Thursday and twice yesterday, the feed just cut out and I had to reopen it. Few seconds to buffer. I would have been extremely pissed had this been like 4th and goal during a football game. Thankfully just golf on a weekday and not a sport that moves fast or has key moments throughout.

I know it’s not my internet because I have 600mbps speed (or whatever the acronym is). Before Covid I’ve had 10 guys over for fantasy drafts all hooked into the WiFi while my wife watches Netflix upstairs, no issues.

I look for ways to cut the cord so bad, but I can’t come to grips with the potential problems like this that cable doesn’t have.

Unfortunately ESPN+ is still a little buggy from time to time, hopefully they can iron that out over time.

But as for your first paragraph, you can sign up for a service like YouTube TV, Sling TV, etc that carries ESPN and that counts as a tv provider. Sling TV is relatively cheap, The others are ~$50-$60.
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this

#569 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,397 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:26 PM

Unfortunately ESPN+ is still a little buggy from time to time, hopefully they can iron that out over time.

But as for your first paragraph, you can sign up for a service like YouTube TV, Sling TV, etc that carries ESPN and that counts as a tv provider. Sling TV is relatively cheap, The others are ~$50-$60.

Is live tv like, live live on YouTube, along, etc? You can watch Ravens games through the yahoo sports app. But it’s like 90 seconds behind real time.
@BSLMikeRandall

#570 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,511 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted Yesterday, 01:30 PM

No it's definitely still behind, but closer to 15-30 seconds than 90, so it's better than it used to be.

But I agree. Streaming is awesome except for the sports. Even the VPN/MLB workaround is not all that reliable. I've missed several innings of baseball trying to resolve issues surrounding that.

I have but don't use ESPN+ as part of a bundle, and have ESPN on YouTube TV so I haven't had those issues with the app. But a friend did order one of the UFC fight things a couple months back and it was ridiculous how long it took to stabilize.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#571 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,836 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted Yesterday, 02:03 PM

When I had PSVue it lagged and buffered all the time. I can say that YouTubeTv has been excellent with regards to streaming quality.

Now that I have this set up I am so mad at myself for what I used to pay for Directv. Thieves.
  • BSLBobPhelan likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#572 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,397 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:41 PM

No it's definitely still behind, but closer to 15-30 seconds than 90, so it's better than it used to be.

But I agree. Streaming is awesome except for the sports. Even the VPN/MLB workaround is not all that reliable. I've missed several innings of baseball trying to resolve issues surrounding that.

I have but don't use ESPN+ as part of a bundle, and have ESPN on YouTube TV so I haven't had those issues with the app. But a friend did order one of the UFC fight things a couple months back and it was ridiculous how long it took to stabilize.

That’s what I’m worried about. UFC fight draws a lot of eyes, I had issues with weekday morning golf. I can only imagine a high profile college football game, or NFL, being a nightmare. I’m not having a highlight reel run by Lamar, buffer and be choppy.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users