Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 12:11 PM

Alex
1:10
Does Ryan Mountcastle have enough of an arm to stay at 3B?  Does Grenier have enough of a bat to be a regular SS?  Thanks

Keith Law
1:10
Probably not, probably yes, in that order.

#143 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 106,248 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:25 PM

MASN: After strong Double-A year, Ryan Mountcastle is closer to the majors
http://www.masnsport...the-majors.html

#144 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 106,248 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:19 PM

Balt Sun: Orioles prospect Ryan Mountcastle works out at first base, his third position in three years
https://www.baltimor...0218-story.html

#145 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 7,419 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:31 PM

Apparently he put on 20+ pounds of muscle this offseason which seems extreme. Sounds good, hopefully it results in more power and not less flexibility.

@PhelanToTweet

#146 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 10,765 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:37 PM

Apparently he put on 20+ pounds of muscle this offseason which seems extreme. Sounds good, hopefully it results in more power and not less flexibility.

He's got the frame for it. He's listed at 6'3 185, but looked real lanky still. Frame of reference, Jeff Kent was 6'1 and 185.

• BSLBobPhelan likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#147 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,406 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:18 AM

Please don't tell me we are lining him up for another DH/1B role. Good grief can we actually groom some actual defenders who can hit.

#148 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:42 PM

Tom
1:39
Is there any chance that Mountcastle can play a decent 2B, since the issue seems to be his arm, or is he a 1B / COF only?

Keith Law
1:39
Cannot see that body and build in the middle of the field.

#149 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 7,419 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:56 PM

Melewski: “He played for the O's today but Saturday, on a back field in Pt. Charlotte, Ryan Mountcastle HRd off AL Cy Young winner Blake Snell of the Rays. Game got rained out but he took Snell deep in the first inning.“

https://twitter.com/...3933425664?s=21

@PhelanToTweet

#150 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:37 PM

Move the kid to first base and get it over with.

@mikeghg

#151 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,406 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:09 PM

Move the kid to first base and get it over with.

Great, so we can have Davis, Mountcastle, Mancini, and Trumbo who should all be DH/1B. Even when Trumbo and Davis are gone do we want to have two guys to share 1B and DH? That sound like poor roster construction to me.

How about we draft and/or teach guys how to play solid defense?

#152 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:47 PM

Mancini and Mountcastle have already been drafted, so unless you have a time machine, that leaves teaching them... which I assume the O's have been trying to do for a while now.  But sometimes the square peg just won't fit into the round hole - I'm not sure you can teach Mountcastle to have a stronger arm, or Mancini to run faster.

#153 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:08 PM

Great, so we can have Davis, Mountcastle, Mancini, and Trumbo who should all be DH/1B. Even when Trumbo and Davis are gone do we want to have two guys to share 1B and DH? That sound like poor roster construction to me.

Trumbo is gone, hopefully in July.  Davis may be right behind him for different reasons.

Mancini becomes the DH.  You are getting mad at something that was done 3-5 years ago.  

@mikeghg

#154 BSLNateDelong

BSLNateDelong

MiL Analyst

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:48 AM

I think the roster construction will work itself out. As Mike notes, it's entirely possible that both Trumbo and Davis will be off the roster sooner rather than later, opening up some 1B/DH spots. A lot of other things can happen to help resolve the situation as well, including one (or more) of the outfield prospects not panning out, making it more likely that Mountcastle can settle into LF, or Mountcastle's defense/arm could improve enough to make him a viable third baseman, at least for now. I also think there would be an argument to trade Mancini this year as well depending on how well he performs. 

I don't think we can rule out Mountcastle not panning out either. Him playing some 1B just increases his (limited) defensive versatility, so I don't view that as a bad thing.

@OriolesPG

#155 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 10,765 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:53 AM

I think the roster construction will work itself out. As Mike notes, it's entirely possible that both Trumbo and Davis will be off the roster sooner rather than later, opening up some 1B/DH spots. A lot of other things can happen to help resolve the situation as well, including one (or more) of the outfield prospects not panning out, making it more likely that Mountcastle can settle into LF, or Mountcastle's defense/arm could improve enough to make him a viable third baseman, at least for now. I also think there would be an argument to trade Mancini this year as well depending on how well he performs. 

I don't think we can rule out Mountcastle not panning out either. Him playing some 1B just increases his (limited) defensive versatility, so I don't view that as a bad thing.

I don't know that it's about him panning out or not yet. The question is does the bat play WELL enough to put him at 1B? Are you losing out on a 30-40 HR guy that can't field anywhere else to put a 20-HR guy that can't throw anywhere else?

I had been holding out hope that he could find a way to be passable at 2B, like a Jeff Kent. But 2B Jeff Kent is much different than 1B Jeff Kent.

Too many of these non-great defensive players get caught up in great bat for this or this or this position, but not a good enough bat to stick full time at 1B or DH. Teams are learning you can't just hide too many of these guys or it really hurts you. If you've got ONE and you stick him in LF, you better have a CF with a ton of range you can cheat over that direction. If you have 2-3 then all of a sudden you're losing outs all over the place and your runs are going up for the pitching staff.

It's such a delicate balance building a roster.

@JeremyMStrain

#156 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:52 PM

Agreed, I think what they have to do is make the best decision, they can as for what position he plays.  If that happens to be first base than so be it.   Mountcastle was drafted for his bat and so far he has done well at the plate.

@mikeghg

#157 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 106,248 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:01 PM

BSL: https://www.baltimor...ring-2019-10-1/

(#2) Ryan Mountcastle, 3B

Ceiling: 55        Risk: High       ETA: 2019        Role Description: Above-Average Player
Ht/Wt: 6’3” / 195 lbs.          B/T: R/R         Highest Level: AA              Age (as of April 1, 2019): 22y, 1m
Video #1 | Video #2 | Report

Mountcastle finished 2017 at Double-A and struggled there, so Baltimore sent him back to the level for all of last season. He fared much better his second time through the Eastern League (at only 21-years-old, it’s worth noting), slashing .297/.341/.464 and showing improved defense at the hot corner. Mountcastle’s arm is below-average and will likely always be a 45-at-best tool, so it’s not a lock he stays at 3B despite getting better there. His bat is the calling card, as Mountcastle’s future hit and power outputs both could enter the 55-grade territory and seem likely to finish at least average. That offensive upside could make him an above-average producer if he can stick at 3B. Mountcastle will finish closer to an everyday regular if he moves down the defensive spectrum to LF or 1B, though he still should produce enough at the plate to stay in the lineup either way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners