300 replies to this topic

#221 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:33 AM

Lol. It's his thing.  He's literally moved on from everyone, except for that Witt guy, who is the best prospect of all time.

I'm not the only person who doesn't view Stewart that seriously and sees drafting Witt Jr #1 to be a no-brainer. BTW never said Witt was the greatest prospect all time so you really need to get your facts straight if you're going to randomly criticize me in the future.

#222 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 24 September 2018 - 01:20 PM

I've heard Thorne go on in several games that Witt and the college catcher are the top 2 consensus draft picks. No idea where he gets his info from. 

#223 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,599 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:29 PM

I've heard Thorne go on in several games that Witt and the college catcher are the top 2 consensus draft picks. No idea where he gets his info from. 

Well, he's right.  But it's Sept. 2018.   Think the only point which has been made is that plenty can change between now and June '19.

#224 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,377 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:46 AM

Now that the season is over, how did you feel about Stewart's first stint in the majors? 

#225 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,593 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 October 2018 - 05:27 PM

Now that the season is over, how did you feel about Stewart's first stint in the majors?

Nothing but positive but SSS
@BSLRobShields

#226 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,327 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 October 2018 - 05:39 PM

Good enough to go into ST with a chance to make the team.

#227 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:47 PM

Nice approach, Looks to be too much of a pull hitter or at least I didn't see him take much the other way (SSS of course). Impressed me as pretty athletic . Looks like a good base runner and a decent COF'er with what looks like a pretty decent arm. There's some stuff there.    . 

#228 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,402 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 06 October 2018 - 09:48 AM

Nice approach, Looks to be too much of a pull hitter or at least least I didn't see him take much the other way (SSS of course). Impressed me as pretty athletic . Looks like a good base runner and a decent COF'er with what looks like a pretty decent arm. There some stuff there.    . 

Yeah sounds like the same kind of stuff we heard when they drafted him. Then he had a year or two of just not producing and everyone pretty much wrote him off. I saw him in Bowie a bit, and once you lowered expectations, expecting him to be an all-star just because he was a first round pick, he looked decent. You just gotta get past perceptions and hype. He's got some tools though, if the defense in the corner is legit, it's not a bad little package.

• CA-ORIOLE likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#229 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 02:27 PM

He should be your LF in '19. Let's see what we have here.

#230 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 03:05 PM

Ironically, it didn't really look like he squared up on balls in the ABs that I saw of him this year.  

I'm curious what a ST and reps will get him.  

I think he could end up being a solid contributor, like 290/350/450. 

#231 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 05:30 PM

He surprised me I have to admit.

#232 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,010 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:08 AM

Great month for sure. I put a ton more weight into his overall body of mediocre work so I don't think he becomes a real player, but no reason not to run him out there and see what he can do with regular time next year.

#233 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,010 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:15 AM

I think he could end up being a solid contributor, like 290/350/450.

Seems too optimistic on the batting average. 250 for his career and only 278 during the one good season he had (2017). He walks a lot, so the OBP should play up even if he only hits 250 in the majors (but I have doubts he can manage that).

I think best case for DJ is something like 270/370/420. That would be more than good enough to play everyday in LF assuming he can field acceptably. It's just always a bit of a stretch to hope guys can perform better in MLB than they had in the minors.

#234 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:27 AM

Seems too optimistic on the batting average. 250 for his career and only 278 during the one good season he had (2017). He walks a lot, so the OBP should play up even if he only hits 250 in the majors (but I have doubts he can manage that).

I think best case for DJ is something like 270/370/420. That would be more than good enough to play everyday in LF assuming he can field acceptably. It's just always a bit of a stretch to hope guys can perform better in MLB than they had in the minors.

Maybe on the BA, but I think he can produce more pop with the Camden effect. 

Regardless, he would be a solid, tradeable bat. 

#235 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 07 October 2018 - 01:03 PM

Yeah, I'm guessing BA will be closer  to 260 than 290, especially if he is a pull hitter. Offensively, rest will depend on how many walks he can draw and how much he can develop as a power hitter imo. 

#236 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,402 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:00 PM

Yeah, I'm guessing BA will be closer  to 260 than 290, especially if he is a pull hitter. Offensively, rest will depend on how many walks he can draw and how much he can develop as a power hitter imo. 

Yeah I think I agree. It could be something that improves with experience too though. His big plus will be his OBP skills, and if he refines his pitch selection a bit, or just gets more savvy picking his spots in the ML, I could see his average bump up a little bit.

• CA-ORIOLE likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#237 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,593 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:36 PM

If you do a strict platoon, maybe the BA creeps up more.

That’s my guess what his role will be, if he does anything.
@BSLRobShields

#238 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:50 PM

I haven't seen him against LHP, but I'm not convinced he can't or won't. hit LHP with the approach he has. 

#239 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,010 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:23 AM

I haven't seen him against LHP, but I'm not convinced he can't or won't. hit LHP with the approach he has. 

LHP has not been a bugaboo for him in the minors.  Worst years have had a ~100 OPS point split which isn't all that dramatic and multiple times he's actually been better against LHP than RHP (including in 2018).  I'm not worried about platoon splits for him. 

His overall hitting level is what concerns me long term.  I just don't think he can hit well enough with passable to average defense to justify everyday time in a corner OF spot.  And he does not project as someone who would be useful off the bench if he can't be an everyday guy.  Typically I like my bench players to be guys who do one thing very well (defense, platoon hitting, speed, etc). 

But we should absolutely give him plenty of opportunities next year to find out.  Only way I'd take him out of the lineup is if more promising young guys like Diaz, Mountcastle, Sisco, and Hays are ready and need the opportunity.

#240 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,402 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:33 AM

If you do a strict platoon, maybe the BA creeps up more.

That’s my guess what his role will be, if he does anything.

Not sure yet. Like CA Oriole said, haven't really seen anything that says he can't handle lefties. We also had a manager that was really extreme trying to shelter players from matchups or splits that didn't favor them instead of letting them attempt to get better, hopefully it won't be like that going forward.

I think it's going to tie to his walks. If he can keep that OBP by drawing a bunch of walks I think he will play every day in a corner, but we will see. Too early to tell, next year should give us a good idea.

@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners