@BSLMikeRandall

#2 ShawnBrubaker

ShawnBrubaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:21 PM

For me the biggest question is whether or not Breshad Perriman can become an immediate starter. I like the Ravens' depth, but none of the other guys are anything more than a third option at best. Perriman needs to be more. I have more faith in Maxx Williams' ability to replace Pitta than I do in the Ravens' top receivers right now. 

And I'd love to see Urban step up. Curious to see what his role is early. Same for KLM.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this
@63brubaker
Ravens Analyst BSL
Fat, lazy, sorry couch quarterback

#3 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,186 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:43 PM

Biggest Acquisition: Marc Trestman. 

It was really sad to see Kubiak go. I thought he was good for Joe and obviously for the running game. I love hearing about Trestman's early involvement. He's in the huddle, he's critiquing, he's engaged. I think it's going to be good for the team. He's the difference maker in the passing game. More swing passes? Improve the screen? Utilize the big bodies better? Kubiak is a loss, but I think Trestman of all the guys brought in this year has the chance to make the biggest impact. 

Flacco has nowhere near the risk-taking issues Cutler had, as he has posted a 1.7 percent BDR in each of the past two seasons. Having noted this, Flacco does have issues staring at receivers and not seeing defenders in passing lanes. These errors have at least partially accounted for 13 of his 23 bad decisions over the past two seasons.

Trestman will certainly work to improve Flacco's coverage-reading ability, but if his history with Cutler is any indication, the solution to this problem will also revolve around finding ways to keep Flacco from reading those types of coverages as often he has had to do in the past. If these approaches result in one fewer bad decision every four games, that would be enough to get Flacco at or near the 1.0 percent BDR territory that signifies upper-tier performance in this area.

Last season, Baltimore had only 102 play-action passes, a total that placed 23rd. By contrast, Chicago's passers averaged 126 play-action passes per season in Trestman's two-year tenure there

Last season, Baltimore faced a loaded defensive front on 217 plays. They ran the ball 113 times in those situations and passed on 104 occasions. That made them one of only two teams (Seattle being the other) to run the ball more often than pass it in that situation.

What makes this distribution level odd is Baltimore had the highest yards per attempt (YPA) total in the league when throwing against a loaded defensive front (8.7). Trestman's Bears club last season had nowhere near that success level (5.9 YPA, ranked 29th), and yet his team had a more than three-to-one ratio in favor of passes when facing a loaded defensive front last year (169 passes, 49 rushes). Expect Trestman to take full advantage of these opportunities and allow Flacco to put the ball in the air when the opposing team goes all out to stop the ground game.

http://insider.espn....estman-2015-nfl

That's an insider article about Trestman improving Flacco specifically. 

Biggest Loss: It's a tie between Ngata/McPhee/Kubiak for me. But I'll lean to McPhee. He really developed as a tweener and while I fully expect Jernigan to be able to replace his interior rush (without the deception) I think we'll miss his ability to go inside and outside. His loss is going to mean more doubles on Suggs/Dumvervil and I think we'll see more sacks from the inside of the line this year early on as teams try to slow down the outside rush and won't think they'll be in as much trouble.

Underrated draft pick: Carl Davis would be my pick but he fell so far below his value, he's gotten hyped. I think it's going to be Boyle the Delaware TE. He's tough and big. And early reports are his hands aren't all that bad. I think his size and toughness are something this team needed. I think Gilmore/Boyle could be a dynamic set of TEs in terms of how we want to use them in goal line and short yardage packages and still be able run and throw. 

Breakout player: Marlon Brown/Lorenzo Taliaferro. I'm going to cheat and take two. I like Brown because he's Trestman's type. I think he finds a way to use him in the red zone and finds a way to get him going again. He's got a huge catch radius and he really does go get the ball It's a perfect fit for the system.

I'm going with Taliaferro because I don't trust Forsett to be healthy for a whole year (and to stir of Nickle). He's slimmed down. He's made it clear he's trying to prove something. A little bit of quickness on top of his strength already could be the difference maker.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#4 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,947 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:57 AM

For me the biggest question is whether or not Breshad Perriman can become an immediate starter. I like the Ravens' depth, but none of the other guys are anything more than a third option at best. Perriman needs to be more. I have more faith in Maxx Williams' ability to replace Pitta than I do in the Ravens' top receivers right now. 

And I'd love to see Urban step up. Curious to see what his role is early. Same for KLM.

Perriman would be my next big question when camp starts, and these guys start going full speed.
@BSLMikeRandall

#5 wickedsolo

wickedsolo
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:35 AM

I think KLM/Urban are good choices for break out players. KLM was having a hell of an off-season last year before getting hurt.

Biggest acquisition will definitely be Kendrick Lewis. He's no Earl Thomas or Devin McCourty, but he's consistent and last year that's what we lacked in the secondary.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners