#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:44 AM

http://baltimorespor...bsl-roundtable/

Chris Stoner, Shawn Brubaker, and myself, lend our thoughts on the new rookies as we start to look ahead at depth chart battles, and the 2015 season. 

• BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:52 AM

Check out our answers in the article, but here are the topics we discussed if you want to lend your thoughts to the discussion. 

1. The first round pick is always the most anticipated, and thus carries the highest expectations. What are your overall thoughts on Breshad Perriman, and the Ravens choice to make him their first round pick?

2. After Perriman, the Ravens selected tight end Maxx Williams, and later selected their second TE, Nick Boyle. Do you believe that picking two TEs tells us all we need know about the future of Dennis Pitta with the club? Williams looks like a plug and play, and Boyle appears to be a role player as they took him in the fifth round. Not really a throw away, roll the dice type seventh round pick. 

3. The Ravens waited until the end of round four to pick a cornerback, Tray Walker. CB was one of the higher positions of need with questions marks surrounding depth at the position, Lardarius Webb's ability at this point, and whether or not Jimmy Smith can put it all together for a full season. Were you shocked that Ravens didn't address this need earlier, and your thoughts on Walker?

4. Pernell McPhee, Rick Wager, and what appears to be John Urschel are some middle round draft picks that have been major contributors in recent drafts. A lot of credit goes to the team for finding these diamonds in the rough. Are there any middle round selections in this year’s draft that you see emerging as a starter, and a major contributor down the road?

5. Looking ahead to the summer, with the new additions, what positional battles intrigue you the most during the upcoming camps?

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#3 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:46 PM

Check out our answers in the article, but here are the topics we discussed if you want to lend your thoughts to the discussion. 
1. The first round pick is always the most anticipated, and thus carries the highest expectations. What are your overall thoughts on Breshad Perriman, and the Ravens choice to make him their first round pick?

2. After Perriman, the Ravens selected tight end Maxx Williams, and later selected their second TE, Nick Boyle. Do you believe that picking two TEs tells us all we need know about the future of Dennis Pitta with the club? Williams looks like a plug and play, and Boyle appears to be a role player as they took him in the fifth round. Not really a throw away, roll the dice type seventh round pick. 

3. The Ravens waited until the end of round four to pick a cornerback, Tray Walker. CB was one of the higher positions of need with questions marks surrounding depth at the position, Lardarius Webb's ability at this point, and whether or not Jimmy Smith can put it all together for a full season. Were you shocked that Ravens didn't address this need earlier, and your thoughts on Walker?

4. Pernell McPhee, Rick Wager, and what appears to be John Urschel are some middle round draft picks that have been major contributors in recent drafts. A lot of credit goes to the team for finding these diamonds in the rough. Are there any middle round selections in this year’s draft that you see emerging as a starter, and a major contributor down the road?

5. Looking ahead to the summer, with the new additions, what positional battles intrigue you the most during the upcoming camps?

1. I think Perriman was the obvious choice with the way the board fell. They needed to replace Torrey Smith, and I think they got a guy that will, in a worst case scenario, give you the same exact abilities that Torrey offered. With potential to become a more complete WR. The farther we get from the draft, the more I like the pick. Kind of like Mosley last year. It's hard to complain.

2. I don't know if it says Pitta is definitely done, but it tells you the Ravens weren't willing to put all of their eggs in that basket again. If Pitta comes back he gives you a sick 2 tight end set. If he can't go, or return to form, you have a guy that can step in and give you instant production. The fact that he's only 20 or 21 is a huge plus as well.

3. The Ravens stick to there board. That was proven with waiting to take a CB. I like Walkers upside. But he's a project. With thay said, a need at CB is a little overstated. Webb was back to form at the end of the year and through the playoffs. Smith"s durability is definitely a question mark. But when he's healthy, few are better. And we found a very good young back up in Melvin.

4. The obvious pick is Robert Myers. Ravens always seem to be able to find and develop very good interior lineman on both sides of the ball. He'll have a few years to learn. I like Buck Allen as well. He's going to give us a younger version of Forsett. I like his ability in the passing game. And we have the grinder in Taliaferro. I think he gives us a complete stable at RB.
The wild card here is Waller. If he can develop, he could be a huge diamond in the rough. Literally. With his size, he's a match up nightmare. I'd be more excited for him if we had a better track record for developing late round WR's.

5. I think RB and WR will be a more interesting camp battle than most expect. We have two young RB's that I'm sure are hungry. Forsett could get pushed for playing time. WR, everyone assumes Perriman is a lock to start, but Harbaugh has shown a disinterest in starting rookies. Perriman may have to really shine to lock up the #2 spot over Brown.
Also looking forward to seeing Arthur Brown. Can he finally get on the field?
Last thing, I like the Perry UDFA signing. I see him as a guy that could push for a roster spot. Wouldn't be surprised to see him sneak into one of the Saftey spots on the 53 man roster. Guy can play. If he can show some coverage ability, he may be a top back up or even a starter.
  • Greg Pappas and BSLMikeRandall like this

#4 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:29 AM

4. The obvious pick is Robert Myers. Ravens always seem to be able to find and develop very good interior lineman on both sides of the ball. He'll have a few years to learn. I like Buck Allen as well. He's going to give us a younger version of Forsett. I like his ability in the passing game. And we have the grinder in Taliaferro. I think he gives us a complete stable at RB.
The wild card here is Waller. If he can develop, he could be a huge diamond in the rough. Literally. With his size, he's a match up nightmare. I'd be more excited for him if we had a better track record for developing late round WR's.

Interesting that you chose Myers as the mid round pick with the most potential to be great down the road. I think out of all the draft reviews I read, no one so much as mentions Myers. 

You also mentioned late round receivers. After Smith and Perriman the stable is Brown (UDFA) Aiken (UDFA) Campanaro (7th round) Butler (UDFA) Waller (6th round). They better start learning how to develop these late picks now. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#5 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:21 AM

Interesting that you chose Myers as the mid round pick with the most potential to be great down the road. I think out of all the draft reviews I read, no one so much as mentions Myers. 

You also mentioned late round receivers. After Smith and Perriman the stable is Brown (UDFA) Aiken (UDFA) Campanaro (7th round) Butler (UDFA) Waller (6th round). They better start learning how to develop these late picks now. 

To me, as a Ravens fans. It's a numbers game. We have a pretty decent track record for developing interior lineman we draft in the 3rd or later rounds. Myers has all of the stuff you can't teach 9 build. He has a very high football IQ, very good instincts and he is very fundamentally sound. His issues are in the strength department and just some small technical issues. Such as holding blocks after the initial punch. He definitely needs a few years to build some NFL level strength.

And the fact that two of the more productive WR's you listed (Brown and Aiken) are undrafted free agents goes to show, we just haven't been good at taking late round WR. Campanaro has the potential to be a really good slot WR. And I love Waller's potential. But as Jon Gruden said, potential means he hasn't done anything yet.
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners