#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,322 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:26 PM

http://baltimorespor...-cb-washington/

A look at Marcus Peters, a talented corner with some character issues. Might be right in the Ravens wheelhouse.

• BSLChrisStoner, Greg Pappas and Mackus like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:49 PM

I think you nailed it with the scouting report. I don't know what to make of the off the field stuff, I'll let the FO decide if he is a prospect worth taking a chance on. On the field I see a guy who does some things very well, but also struggles in some areas. 

He is absolutely at his best when he is lined up in press-man. He uses his length extremely well to disrupt WRs at the LOS, and he has quick and fluid hips to turn and run with receivers down the field. Problems arise when he is asked to line up in off coverage. His change of direction skills are not elite and he does like to keep his eyes on the QB. 

Bottomline, he could do well in Baltimore if they play him to his strengths. If Pees is still going to run a lot of zone and off-man coverages he would be a wasted pick imo. Maybe he can improve in those areas, but he is best in press coverage.

• Greg Pappas and BSLMikeRandall like this
@gabefergy

#3 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:08 PM

http://baltimorespor...-cb-washington/

A look at Marcus Peters, a talented corner with some character issues. Might be right in the Ravens wheelhouse.

An excellent article Mike, and showcases the best and worst of what Peters is and may yet be.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

Time comes and goes, like mist in the morning… the rays of dawn wane into twilight. Unaware on our journey, we often fail to realize that we are breathing… ALIVE in this wondrous gift called Life.

#4 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,322 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:11 PM

Thanks guys. You think Pees would use him in press man given the skill set? Or would he be stubborn, keep with the off man and zone coverage because its what he does?
@BSLMikeRandall

#5 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:31 PM

Thanks guys. You think Pees would use him in press man given the skill set? Or would he be stubborn, keep with the off man and zone coverage because its what he does?

He let Jimmy press more-so than the other CBs so it's hard to say for sure. I'd like to think he would play to his players strengths.

• Greg Pappas and BSLMikeRandall like this
@gabefergy

#6 JohnnyK27

JohnnyK27

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:23 AM

This guy would be a good first round selection. He's the best pure corner in the draft. His "off field" stuff is why he would fall. The sideline meltdown is never acceptable. But these guys are young..the other suspension had to do with a missed assignment???

#7 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,322 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:09 AM

This guy would be a good first round selection. He's the best pure corner in the draft. His "off field" stuff is why he would fall. The sideline meltdown is never acceptable. But these guys are young..the other suspension had to do with a missed assignment???

I read it was a final project that was turned in late, so the grade didnt post, which could have made him ineligible. Once the grade posted he was fine. The staff probably had to do extra work to possibly move on without him.
@BSLMikeRandall

#8 JohnnyK27

JohnnyK27

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:54 AM

Seems kind of petty to me. I'm more interested in the sideline issue. But we see that kind of stuff on the sideline from other guys. I'd be interested in knowing more. Could it have been an overzealous coach?

#9 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationAACo

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:18 AM

I think this is the kinda player you take a chance on, particularly the Ravens organization. His "off the field" stuff isn't even that bad, imo.

Granted, all we know is what's been put out there already, and maybe the team finds out way more about him that raises red flags, but it seems like the talent outweighs the immaturity. Besides, the change of environment that comes with the pro game could make a big difference.

@Bmore_Irish

#10 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 18 February 2015 - 01:30 PM

Trae Waynes is better.
@gabefergy

#11 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 18 February 2015 - 01:34 PM

Regarding the off the field, we will likely never know how teams view it. Some may be OK with him, some may take him off their boards completely. He's obviously a young kid so it's hard to write off anyone for their past mistakes, which he has admitted to.

My concern will be if he has problems with authority or taking coaching. Those are two things that won't go over well.
@gabefergy

#12 JohnnyK27

JohnnyK27

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:49 PM

Trae Waynes is better.

Certainly your opinion.

Scouts Inc has Peters ranked at 92 while Waynes is a 88. That's including a poor grade for 5 for intangibles. This can be seen on ESPNs draft page. By the info provided Peters has the better skill set if he can stay out of trouble.

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,313 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:36 PM

Some may be OK with him, some may take him off their boards completely.

I wonder how teams factor their off-field concerns in.  Is it binary like the two options you describe or is it analog where teams simply slide a guy down their chart but not completely off if they have concerns.  The bigger the concerns, the bigger the slide.

#14 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,483 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:56 PM

I wonder how teams factor their off-field concerns in.  Is it binary like the two options you describe or is it analog where teams simply slide a guy down their chart but not completely off if they have concerns.  The bigger the concerns, the bigger the slide.

Almost nothing is binary...

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

#15 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:14 PM

Peters isn't going to be off the Ravens board unless he does something stupid between now and the draft.

He is also the best CB prospect, with or without knocking him down for his issues.

#16 JohnnyK27

JohnnyK27

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:01 PM

Peters isn't going to be off the Ravens board unless he does something stupid between now and the draft.
He is also the best CB prospect, with or without knocking him down for his issues.

Without the issues he's the best CB available by leaps and bounds.

#17 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:25 PM

I love how you speak in absolutes. It's so funny.
@gabefergy

#18 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:41 PM

Certainly your opinion.

Scouts Inc has Peters ranked at 92 while Waynes is a 88. That's including a poor grade for 5 for intangibles. This can be seen on ESPNs draft page. By the info provided Peters has the better skill set if he can stay out of trouble.

That's just one opinion, and seemingly a minority opinion as well. Here's a sample of several well regarded media people. Granted the rankings can change, but Waynes has a lot going for him. He's taller, longer, faster on film, and more versatile in coverage.

Kiper has Waynes at 22 and Peters 24.

CBS has Waynes 19 overall, Peters at 26.

Daniel Jeremiah has Waynes at 14 and Peters at 29.

Mayock has Waynes over Peters.

Rob Rang has Waynes at 16, Peters at 25.

Obviously opinions will vary, but I find it hard to believe that anyone sees Peters as a clearly superior talent.
@gabefergy

#19 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,322 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:06 PM

I tend to think Waynes will be off the board long before the Ravens pick. Last year he and Dennard were regarded as the best CB duo in college football. Definitely see Waynes gone in the teens.

A lot of folks rank Waynes ahead of Peters, but how much does the maturity issues play into their ranking? Both appear very good.
@BSLMikeRandall

#20 JohnnyK27

JohnnyK27

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:24 AM

That's just one opinion, and seemingly a minority opinion as well. Here's a sample of several well regarded media people. Granted the rankings can change, but Waynes has a lot going for him. He's taller, longer, faster on film, and more versatile in coverage.
Kiper has Waynes at 22 and Peters 24.
CBS has Waynes 19 overall, Peters at 26.
Daniel Jeremiah has Waynes at 14 and Peters at 29.
Mayock has Waynes over Peters.
Rob Rang has Waynes at 16, Peters at 25.
Obviously opinions will vary, but I find it hard to believe that anyone sees Peters as a clearly superior talent.

Who's to say that Peters would not be higher if not for the off field stuff?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners