Photo

BSL: Scouting: Tony Lippett - WR, Michigan St.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:41 PM

http://baltimorespor...michigan-state/

This is definitely not a deep WR draft like it was in 2014. Here is an intriguing prospect that can be had in the middle rounds, and frankly, he could be the best route runner in the entire draft.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 ShawnBrubaker

ShawnBrubaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:42 AM

If the top guys are off the board early, I think I'd rather take Lippett in 3rd round than a guy like Jaelen Strong in the 1st. This is an intriguing guy. I'd argue this is a pretty deep crop of receivers in terms of quantity, but even so, they could all go pretty early. The good news is that this is a BIG class, so the Ravens have no excuse not to get jump ball Joe a quality target.

@63brubaker
Ravens Analyst BSL
Fat, lazy, sorry couch quarterback

#3 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:51 AM

If the top guys are off the board early, I think I'd rather take Lippett in 3rd round than a guy like Jaelen Strong in the 1st. This is an intriguing guy. I'd argue this is a pretty deep crop of receivers in terms of quantity, but even so, they could all go pretty early. The good news is that this is a BIG class, so the Ravens have no excuse not to get jump ball Joe a quality target.

Definitely looks like quantity over quality to me in this draft. If Lippett were a bit faster he would be a 1st round, no doubt.
@BSLMikeRandall

#4 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:07 PM

I'm intrigued by Lippett as a CB, and wonder whether his potential is greater there than at WR. He's a much better WR at this juncture, and perhaps it'll remain that way, but I would like to add him and have him play both ways in practice, hoping to eventually see his skills at CB come to fruition. If they never do, he stays a solid WR prospect. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm also interested in drafting (late) or signing Devin Gardner at WR and Nick Marshall at CB, positions they will play as they transition to the NFL.

Time comes and goes, like mist in the morning… the rays of dawn wane into twilight. Unaware on our journey, we often fail to realize that we are breathing… ALIVE in this wondrous gift called Life.

#5 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,065 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:50 PM

This is absolutely a deep WR draft.
@gabefergy

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,351 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:53 PM

I'm intrigued by Lippett as a CB, and wonder whether his potential is greater there than at WR. He's a much better WR at this juncture, and perhaps it'll remain that way, but I would like to add him and have him play both ways in practice, hoping to eventually see his skills at CB come to fruition. If they never do, he stays a solid WR prospect. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm also interested in drafting (late) or signing Devin Gardner at WR and Nick Marshall at CB, positions they will play as they transition to the NFL.

I like position versatility if possible... but I doubt we see that happen with Lippett. Would think NFL coaches would want him to spend more time at WR and becoming productive there before working at CB at all.

#7 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:47 AM

This is absolutely a deep WR draft.

I dont see it.
@BSLMikeRandall

#8 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:26 AM

I like position versatility if possible... but I doubt we see that happen with Lippett. Would think NFL coaches would want him to spend more time at WR and becoming productive there before working at CB at all.

That's the more likely scenario, I agree. 

Time comes and goes, like mist in the morning… the rays of dawn wane into twilight. Unaware on our journey, we often fail to realize that we are breathing… ALIVE in this wondrous gift called Life.

#9 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,065 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:42 PM

I dont see it.

I mean there are probably 12-15 WRs that will likely go in the first 3 rounds, maybe even more. It doesn't have the top talent that last year's class had, but there are a probably 8-10 players that will come in and have significant roles as rookies. There are all types of WRs too. You have big guys, you have small shifty guys, you have a couple of home-run hitters, you have some possession type guys. Tony Lippett is probably not going to go until the 3rd or 4th round and he has the skills to come in and contribute right away.

Amari Cooper

Kevin White

DeVante Parker

Dorial Green-Beckham

Devin Smith 

Jaelen Strong

Devin Funchess

Sammie Coates

Phillip Dorsett

Justin Hardy

Nelson Agholor

Rashad Greene

Jamsion Crowder

Breshad Perriman

Tyler Lockett

That's 15 WRs that I think will go in the first 3 rounds, and I also think at least 5 or 6 of them are starters as rookies with the rest playing considerable roles.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this
@gabefergy

#10 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:08 PM

I agree Gabe. It doesnt have the talent of last years class. Thats what I was getting at that I dont see it being deep. Quantity, not quality.
@BSLMikeRandall

#11 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,065 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:19 PM

I agree Gabe. It doesnt have the talent of last years class. Thats what I was getting at that I dont see it being deep. Quantity, not quality.

I guess when I hear the word "deep" I immediately think about quantity but there has to be some level of quality there as well, and I think there is in this class. Lots of very talented WR prospects. There's no Odell Beckham, but I do think the rest of the class stacks up pretty well compared to last year's. In some ways I think it is even better.

For example let's look at the USC WRs from last year and this year: Marqise Lee and Nelson Agholor. Lee was considered by many to be a 1st round prospect. His stock slipped a little bit and he ended up going early in the 2nd round. I wasn't super high on Lee last year, and when I was watching him I couldn't help noticing Agholor. I actually thought he was a better prospect than Lee was. Maybe I am wrong about that, or maybe Agholor is being underrated right now, but I still think he is a very talented player and he's widely viewed as a fringe 2nd round prospect. So in last year's super WR class, we had Lee go early in the 2nd round and a player in this year's class in Agholor who is a very similar prospect skill-set wise who is widely viewed as maybe the 9th or 10th best WR in the class.

@gabefergy

#12 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,773 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:20 PM

He ran a tight end 40 today.
@BSLRobShields

#13 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:48 PM

I'd rather end up with Perriman or Strong in the first and Abdullah in the 2nd or 3rd.

Lippit doesn't impress me. Even his highlight reels aren't impessive. His "highlights" are normal plays for the top 10-15 WR's.

#14 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:33 PM

That is disappointing. Liked him too. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#15 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,773 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:19 PM

That is disappointing. Liked him too. 

Could be a guy you nab in the 5th round now though. That 40 time could make him a steal.
@BSLRobShields

#16 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,065 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:36 PM

Not a bad showing on the agility drills though. 4.61 isn't terrible for a big WR.
@gabefergy

#17 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,773 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:21 PM

Not a bad showing on the agility drills though. 4.61 isn't terrible for a big WR.

Thought he was in the 4.7s?
@BSLRobShields

#18 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,208 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:29 PM

Of course he's just one player, but lets remind ourselves that Anquan only ran a 4.71.

#19 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:32 PM

Route running also makes up for lack of speed.
@BSLMikeRandall

#20 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,773 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:35 PM

It doesn't mean you don't draft him but it has to hurt his grade.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners