#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,322 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:32 AM

http://baltimorespor...-wr-ohio-state/

Taking a look at Devin Smith, a four year starter at Ohio State who is a big play threat, averaging 28.12 yards per catch in his senior year.

• BSLChrisStoner and Icterus galbula like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,178 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:05 PM

Good analysis, but I disagree with the notion that he isn't a fit in the Ravens offense. I think it's a misconception that you don't use vertcial routes in a modern WCO. We ran a WCO this past year, and had Torrey running a lot of deep routes. Perhaps not as many as under Cam/Caldwell but it is still a necessary part of any offense. If you watch Trestman's offense in Chicago you will also see a lot of deep throws.

In regards specifically to Smith, I have an issue with the first play you broke down. You said he let the DB get between him and the ball, when this is not the case. The ball was thrown to the outside of Smith and he does an excellent job of using his body to shield the defender and pluck the ball away from his frame. That is perfect technique on the fade route.

I definitely agree that his route running needs some work, however I see some subtle movements in how he sets up defenders and turns his hips on his deep routes that suggest he has the ability to develop here.

In the end, I think a lot will depend on whether or nit the Ravens bring back Torrey. If he goes to a new team, the Ravens will need to inject more speed into the WR position. That could be Devin Smith or someone else in FA or draft. That said, I am a big fan of Devin and I think he will be a very good pro. His track speed and ability to track the ball make him an elite deep threat. If the rest of his game develops, he coukd transform into a lot more than that.
  • Greg Pappas and BSLMikeRandall like this
@gabefergy

#3 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:35 PM

Didn't Torrey Smith also profile somewhat as a late first rounder pre-draft and then ended up drifting into the 2nd? Or is Smith legitimately a higher profile that's more a lock to go at the end of the 1st round no matter what?

#4 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,322 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:36 PM

@Gabe. I agree with you. Just because he runs 9 routes doesnt automatically make him unfit for WCO. But I think he needs to do more than that. Do you agree with zone blocking /stretch runs that you want a physical receiver out there, not afraid to throw his body into a LB?

On that play, I could be wrong. l figured the ball was thrown to the outside because thats where Smith was forced to by the defender. Felt the defender did a fine job of getting him toward the sideline and limit the YAC. Had Smith been inside, maybe he has more green and goes for the TD, or as I mentioned draws the safety earlier and the slot man becomes wide open. Again, I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

@Jordan. Id have to look up some old mock drafts. I dont think Torrey was ever a first rounder that slipped down the boards.
@BSLMikeRandall

#5 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,862 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:42 PM

I definitely saw some mock drafts that had the Ravens taking Torrey in the late first.
@BSLRobShields

#6 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:44 PM

I definitely saw some mock drafts that had the Ravens taking Torrey in the late first.

That's what I recall too. I just wonder if Smith would ever get back to our 2nd (I'm skeptical given his high profile). 

Though a trade back landing an early 2nd and a 3rd or 4th rounder could be worthwhile for the Ravens. Obviously...it's way too early to have any idea of how that will work out though.

#7 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,178 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:53 PM

@Gabe. I agree with you. Just because he runs 9 routes doesnt automatically make him unfit for WCO. But I think he needs to do more than that. Do you agree with zone blocking /stretch runs that you want a physical receiver out there, not afraid to throw his body into a LB?

On that play, I could be wrong. l figured the ball was thrown to the outside because thats where Smith was forced to by the defender. Felt the defender did a fine job of getting him toward the sideline and limit the YAC. Had Smith been inside, maybe he has more green and goes for the TD, or as I mentioned draws the safety earlier and the slot man becomes wide open. Again, I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

@Jordan. Id have to look up some old mock drafts. I dont think Torrey was ever a first rounder that slipped down the boards.

I think he can be a physical receiver in blocking. Ohio St. ran a lot of zone read type stuff that requires the WRs to block. He was also a gunner on the ST unit, so he isn't afraid of getting his nose dirty. Did you see the Senior Bowl play where he lit up the KR? He could teach a few of our DBs about form tackling.

It's hard to say with certainty what the QB is looking at on that play, but from my perspective it looks like he throws the fade to the outside expecting his WR to make the proper read and catch, which he did. The defender really didn't alter his route at all. It looked like a fade the whole way.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this
@gabefergy

#8 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:33 PM

I think he can be a physical receiver in blocking. Ohio St. ran a lot of zone read type stuff that requires the WRs to block. He was also a gunner on the ST unit, so he isn't afraid of getting his nose dirty. Did you see the Senior Bowl play where he lit up the KR? He could teach a few of our DBs about form tackling.
It's hard to say with certainty what the QB is looking at on that play, but from my perspective it looks like he throws the fade to the outside expecting his WR to make the proper read and catch, which he did. The defender really didn't alter his route at all. It looked like a fade the whole way.

The way Smith ran his route tells me it was a fade yhe whole way as well. He makes no attempt to get inside the CB. Really, the CB played it well, only thing he could have done better is use the sideline to his advantage more and force Smith towards the boundary more.

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,330 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:16 AM

Baltimore Beatdown: Mock draft: SB Nation's Dan Kadar has the Ravens taking Ohio State WR Devin Smith

http://www.baltimore...g-ohio-state-wr

#10 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:02 PM

I'm high on Devin Smith and think he'll be a better pro than Torrey was/is. That's saying something. Devin, like every prospect in the draft, is a projected talent and as such has things he needs to work on. With that said, it's encouraging to see that he's been working to strengthen the parts of his game that needed the most work... namely route-running. I think he'll be an outstanding pro and I'd be very pleased if we take him.

Time comes and goes, like mist in the morning… the rays of dawn wane into twilight. Unaware on our journey, we often fail to realize that we are breathing… ALIVE in this wondrous gift called Life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners