#4941 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,622 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:59 AM

This is really the overall problem with the WWE and it's monopoly. At who's expense? They are finally committing to youth, and giving guys like Ricochet, Cedric Alexander, etc. pushes with these belts. Giving guys like that runs again just keeps doing the same ol, same ol. Even if they deserve it.

They have too much talent and not enough storylines. There's only so much they can fight over. The stupid 24/7 belt is a joke, like the hardcore belt was. Stop wasting that air time and add another tier of belts. I think this is why they had the TV title in WCW.

I had the same argument for the women when they got to the point they had 30 on the roster, you've got 4 tied up in title matches, another 4 tied up in tag title matches. What do you do with the other 22? Then you've got stretches where some of them can't get on TV for months because you only give the women 20% of the air time. One of my options when I was talking about how they needed more TV time and another show (which they might be doing now with NXT, depends on if they keep the same "minors" format) is you could have done an entire hour long show just for the women. Maybe split it, an hour for the women, an hour for light heavyweight? I dunno.

If not the other option is you let some go, cause you just can't keep them all, and AEW starts getting more and more with plenty of screen time to go around. Only a matter of time before they get a real great worker and give them time to shine and start cutting into your ratings.

I actually think the 24/7 is funny.  They don't spend a lot of time on it, but it is humorous IMO.  

@mikeghg

#4942 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,622 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 October 2019 - 09:08 AM

This is the night, IMO, the feud between AEW and WWE steps up.  

It will be interesting to see the ratings of the 2 shows, especially up against a WC elimination game.

@mikeghg

#4943 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,221 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:23 AM

I actually think the 24/7 is funny.  They don't spend a lot of time on it, but it is humorous IMO.  

I mean you're not WRONG...I guess my issue is that there are so many really talented people that can't find storylines or get on TV and they are spending ANY time on these shenanigans. I mean I know R Truth is cashing those checks...but he was a legit world title holder for TNA (not saying he should be here, just pointing out that there are much better opportunities out there for guys).

For as much as people knock TNA, for it to have gotten to the point it did with monthly PPV, a weekly TV show, and really bringing to mainstream guys like AJ, Samoa Joe, James Storm, that's pretty damn successful. I think they were legit one correct business move away from getting bigger and competing, vs just getting swept aside. The WWE network just upped the game for anyone trying to compete, that's a lynchpin now. If you can't meet or overcome that, you're toast.

@JeremyMStrain

#4944 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,622 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 October 2019 - 12:14 PM

I mean you're not WRONG...I guess my issue is that there are so many really talented people that can't find storylines or get on TV and they are spending ANY time on these shenanigans. I mean I know R Truth is cashing those checks...but he was a legit world title holder for TNA (not saying he should be here, just pointing out that there are much better opportunities out there for guys).

For as much as people knock TNA, for it to have gotten to the point it did with monthly PPV, a weekly TV show, and really bringing to mainstream guys like AJ, Samoa Joe, James Storm, that's pretty damn successful. I think they were legit one correct business move away from getting bigger and competing, vs just getting swept aside. The WWE network just upped the game for anyone trying to compete, that's a lynchpin now. If you can't meet or overcome that, you're toast.

I know what you are saying and your not wrong.  There seems to be more good wrestlers than there are story lines.     

@mikeghg

#4945 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 02 October 2019 - 12:56 PM

As an aside, I'm really shocked that they didn't just back the truck up for James Storm and see if they could make it work. That's a character that really could have made waves in NXT. Roode definitely thrived in NXT (and is at least getting work on the main roster) and I don't see why Storm couldn't have at least gotten to that level. Probably higher.

#4946 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 02 October 2019 - 12:56 PM

BTW I can't wait for tonight. I'm watching it all.

#4947 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,221 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 02 October 2019 - 01:02 PM

As an aside, I'm really shocked that they didn't just back the truck up for James Storm and see if they could make it work. That's a character that really could have made waves in NXT. Roode definitely thrived in NXT (and is at least getting work on the main roster) and I don't see why Storm couldn't have at least gotten to that level. Probably higher.

Yeah I think that's why he popped to the top of my mind there. I couldn't believe they didn't scoop him too. That might just be a case that he didn't want to start over there and wanted to be THE GUY where he was...but he's a prime target for AEW too.

• The Epic likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#4948 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,622 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:01 PM

Finn Balor back on NXT.  The crowd went crazy.

Riddle and Cole with a terrific match to open the show.

@mikeghg

#4949 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 03 October 2019 - 08:28 AM

Last night was amazing. I think NXT was better (and it wasn't very close) but both were very good. I think AEW is still finding its way, and eventually it'll get better; the ceiling for them is really high. But they got some production/camera issues that they need to work out. 

Biggest pops from me:

Riddle/Cole was BONKERS

Pretty much the entire end of AEW. WE THE PEOPLE! (I hope they carry that gimmick over somehow. I'm fine with a nationalist-lite character if they play it right. I mean let's be real...that's pretty much what Lacey Evans is gonna turn into.)

Finn is back for GOOD! All of the potential matches. I can't friggin wait. Even with two hours, NXT is loaded for bear.

Ciampa is back! And I forgot how insane that theme music is. Might be top 5 for me. 

Cody getting destroyed throughout the commercial break by Jericho was -hilarious-. 

Velveteen Dream's...erm...very sexual promo was fantastic. 

Finally...and I've said this several times. Montez Ford is a STAR. His wrestling is quickly catching up to his character as his best quality. I could see him being the money-maker in NXT in the next 18 months if they book him right. The guy just...shines.

#4950 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,622 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 October 2019 - 08:52 AM

Last night was amazing. I think NXT was better (and it wasn't very close) but both were very good. I think AEW is still finding its way, and eventually it'll get better; the ceiling for them is really high. But they got some production/camera issues that they need to work out. 

Biggest pops from me:

Riddle/Cole was BONKERS

Pretty much the entire end of AEW. WE THE PEOPLE! (I hope they carry that gimmick over somehow. I'm fine with a nationalist-lite character if they play it right. I mean let's be real...that's pretty much what Lacey Evans is gonna turn into.)

Finn is back for GOOD! All of the potential matches. I can't friggin wait. Even with two hours, NXT is loaded for bear.

Ciampa is back! And I forgot how insane that theme music is. Might be top 5 for me. 

Cody getting destroyed throughout the commercial break by Jericho was -hilarious-. 

Velveteen Dream's...erm...very sexual promo was fantastic. 

Finally...and I've said this several times. Montez Ford is a STAR. His wrestling is quickly catching up to his character as his best quality. I could see him being the money-maker in NXT in the next 18 months if they book him right. The guy just...shines.

Good Post.  I think you are right about Ford.  They will need to give him, his singles role soon.  Very good in the ring, and very good on thy mic.

Have not watched AEW, yet, but NXT was terrific last night.

Love Balor back on NXT, Cesaro should be next.  Riddle/Cole---great match.  All the matches were good.  

Liked how they brought Ciampa out t the end.  Knew it was coming, with how they had been having Cole claim the best NXT champ ever.

AEW better be really good, because NXT is up to the challenge.

@mikeghg

#4951 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:00 AM

Good Post.  I think you are right about Ford.  They will need to give him, his singles role soon.  Very good in the ring, and very good on thy mic.

Have not watched AEW, yet, but NXT was terrific last night.

Love Balor back on NXT, Cesaro should be next.  Riddle/Cole---great match.  All the matches were good.  

Liked how they brought Ciampa out t the end.  Knew it was coming, with how they had been having Cole claim the best NXT champ ever.

AEW better be really good, because NXT is up to the challenge.

The fact that NXT is so top-heavy and they haven't even given Keith Lee his inevitable push yet is pretty insane. 

I forgot...The Damian Priest arrow thing is >>>>>

#4952 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,802 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:08 AM

Finn Balor back on NXT.  The crowd went crazy.

Riddle and Cole with a terrific match to open the show.

I've checked out for a few months. Both shows weren't doing it for me.  However I'm interested this week to watch the first AEW, and first SD on Fox. (Have AEW on the DVR, probably catch up tonight). 

Balor is on NXT? Is that a demotion, or is he playing a role as a recognizable face for the new TV audience? Dude was 1st Universal champ, for a day, then misused ever since. 

BTW, if AEW doesn't end with Schiavone crying, "we're all out of time. the tape machines are rolling..." like how Nitro used to always end, I'll be sad. Just once, for old time sake. 

Also noticed that NXT goes 15 minutes longer than AEW. Wonder what the plan is there. People that watch AEW can flip over for the NXT main event, then maybe get sucked into wanting more NXT? In the era of DVR, seems unnecessary. People can watch all of everything.

• The Epic likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#4953 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,622 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:16 AM

I've checked out for a few months. Both shows weren't doing it for me.  However I'm interested this week to watch the first AEW, and first SD on Fox. (Have AEW on the DVR, probably catch up tonight). 

Balor is on NXT? Is that a demotion, or is he playing a role as a recognizable face for the new TV audience? Dude was 1st Universal champ, for a day, then misused ever since. 

BTW, if AEW doesn't end with Schiavone crying, "we're all out of time. the tape machines are rolling..." like how Nitro used to always end, I'll be sad. Just once, for old time sake. 

Also noticed that NXT goes 15 minutes longer than AEW. Wonder what the plan is there. People that watch AEW can flip over for the NXT main event, then maybe get sucked into wanting more NXT? In the era of DVR, seems unnecessary. People can watch all of everything.

I think NXT is the perfect vehicle for some of the under utilized guys to get a better run.

I don't think it is a demotion at all.  NXT is main stream now.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this
@mikeghg

#4954 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,802 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:21 AM

I think NXT is the perfect vehicle for some of the under utilized guys to get a better run.

I don't think it is a demotion at all.  NXT is main stream now.

Are they counting it as a third show? So there aren't like promotions to the main roster anymore? I know it's popular and many like it more than Raw/SD. So thats cool if NXT is part of the main roster and all.

@BSLMikeRandall

#4955 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,855 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:30 AM

Balor, Joe, KO, Cesaro, Rusev would all be fantastic in NXT

#4956 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,221 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:08 AM

Are they counting it as a third show? So there aren't like promotions to the main roster anymore? I know it's popular and many like it more than Raw/SD. So thats cool if NXT is part of the main roster and all.

That is the lingering question. Did it get promoted to TV on it's own merit or did they bump it up to give them a 3rd show to use, and they'll start intermingling other guys too? I could see either way, but if it's the latter, they basically just promoted the entire roster, and where is the TRUE development going on now off screen?

AEW will get there. I think they are being smart, instead of trying to go all in and get all the things they can at once, they are adding a piece here, a piece there and waiting for the right time to go all in. It's like if the Marlins did that thing where they sign every top FA one year and go for the WS. That's great you got all the best piece in ONE offseason, but wouldn't it be better to get a couple top pieces every year for a couple years?

@JeremyMStrain

#4957 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:16 AM

That is the lingering question. Did it get promoted to TV on it's own merit or did they bump it up to give them a 3rd show to use, and they'll start intermingling other guys too? I could see either way, but if it's the latter, they basically just promoted the entire roster, and where is the TRUE development going on now off screen?

AEW will get there. I think they are being smart, instead of trying to go all in and get all the things they can at once, they are adding a piece here, a piece there and waiting for the right time to go all in. It's like if the Marlins did that thing where they sign every top FA one year and go for the WS. That's great you got all the best piece in ONE offseason, but wouldn't it be better to get a couple top pieces every year for a couple years?

All indication is that this is the idea, for the most part. Which...if you look at the individuals getting TV time now (and ever since they moved to TV), that makes sense. We've had, MAYBE, 4 fully homegrown (as in, "we knew next to nothing about them before NXT") people in those shows combined, and that INCLUDES Velveteen Dream. 

Last night, NXT felt more like an actual, honest-to-goodness show than it ever has. It felt less like, "Let's throw some stuff out there and see what'll work" and more like, "Ok, we're going somewhere here."

I expect to see KO there, probably Cesaro...and I think Regal will stick around in the GM role. He's the best GM any show has ever had. Do your job and gtfo otherwise.

#4958 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,622 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:23 AM

i think they are going to stop short of saying that and I think we will see wrestlers, moving among the shows, but given the fact that they have HHH running it, and he turned down the chance to run one of the other brands, I think it is main stream.  

I have thought AEW was going to make WWE get better, and I think that is happening.

@mikeghg

#4959 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:54 AM

i think they are going to stop short of saying that and I think we will see wrestlers, moving among the shows, but given the fact that they have HHH running it, and he turned down the chance to run one of the other brands, I think it is main stream.  

I have thought AEW was going to make WWE get better, and I think that is happening.

Yes. 

Iron sharpens iron, and whatnot. The thought of true competition made them put their best foot forward. If AEW eventually falters, I bet NXT does, as well.

#4960 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,221 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 03 October 2019 - 12:12 PM

All indication is that this is the idea, for the most part. Which...if you look at the individuals getting TV time now (and ever since they moved to TV), that makes sense. We've had, MAYBE, 4 fully homegrown (as in, "we knew next to nothing about them before NXT") people in those shows combined, and that INCLUDES Velveteen Dream. 

Last night, NXT felt more like an actual, honest-to-goodness show than it ever has. It felt less like, "Let's throw some stuff out there and see what'll work" and more like, "Ok, we're going somewhere here."

I expect to see KO there, probably Cesaro...and I think Regal will stick around in the GM role. He's the best GM any show has ever had. Do your job and gtfo otherwise.

I had a feeling this was how it was leaning. Let guys move between shows to pop in and out. Maybe not full on feuds, but like spot matches and stuff. I've been in wait and see mode instead of figure it out mode though. I figure there's going to move some moves and counter moves between them and AEW for a while.

I think this was a way to combat people running out their contracts and going over there though. Can you imagine the jump start it'd have given their women's division if say Sasha and Alexa went over there? Putting Ronda and Nia on the Total Divas show puts them on TV without having to wrestle. I feel like they should be doing that with everyone out on leave or without a storyline. Fuck, make a show for the younger guys too.

@JeremyMStrain

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners