5030 replies to this topic

#4861 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,207 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:16 PM

This legit might kill the network. I DOUBT it, but this is a -bold- move. 

It's like what we were talking about last year when I said they needed another show to be able to get all the talent air time and belts to fight for.

The problem is that doesn't change anything if they keep the current format, just exposes more of the "minors" to the mainstream. Unless they are ready to make the developmental program even lower before NXT, and turn NXT into another show and mix talent up.

I ultimately think you're right, NXT isn't broke, so don't fix it. Still feel like this is a move aimed at not losing talent to AEW when contracts expire. For whatever they show, even if they aren't a threat yet, they see potential down the line.

@JeremyMStrain

#4862 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,562 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:01 PM

NXT coming to USA

The WWE with another nut kick.  This time delivered to AEW.

@mikeghg

#4863 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,562 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:03 PM

Murphy.Bryan last night was real good.  Murphy is talented.

@mikeghg

#4864 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,207 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:09 PM

Murphy.Bryan last night was real good.  Murphy is talented.

I love that guys like Cedric, Murphy, Riccochet etc. are all getting big pushes right now, but it does make me wonder if they are going to expand this stuff to NXT now. Maybe bring back the Lightweight title. They've got 205, but these guys are ready for prime time and deserve more air time.

Kudos to Bryan for really putting guys over. He's like the ultimate company guy right now.

@JeremyMStrain

#4865 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,562 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:14 PM

I love that guys like Cedric, Murphy, Riccochet etc. are all getting big pushes right now, but it does make me wonder if they are going to expand this stuff to NXT now. Maybe bring back the Lightweight title. They've got 205, but these guys are ready for prime time and deserve more air time.

Kudos to Bryan for really putting guys over. He's like the ultimate company guy right now.

Agreed.

As for your last point, it seems like DB has assumed the Cena role.  At the end, Cena, was putting guys over.

@mikeghg

#4866 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:20 AM

I think moving 205 to NXT seems like the proper move but I don't think they'll do that. But it works on so many levels. 

From the title run to now, this is DB's best WWE stretch. This is better than the Yes movement IMO because it ended with Kane and the injuries.

It's crazy that guys like Murphy, Andrade and Ali were literally one decision from being completely forgotten about, and now they're here. The industry is a weird one.

#4867 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,207 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:37 AM

I think moving 205 to NXT seems like the proper move but I don't think they'll do that. But it works on so many levels. 

From the title run to now, this is DB's best WWE stretch. This is better than the Yes movement IMO because it ended with Kane and the injuries.

It's crazy that guys like Murphy, Andrade and Ali were literally one decision from being completely forgotten about, and now they're here. The industry is a weird one.

Yeah I mean it just goes to show how little room they have for product. If they keep giving all the screen time to the same 10 guys, guys like this get completely lost, and then have no where to go. That's why this industry NEEDS competition. It was at it's best when WWE and WCW were head to head. If one guy couldn't get enough time somewhere, he could go to the other and get an opportunity (Jericho). If a bridge was burned with a guy at one place, he could go to the other and still work, until he got too many concussions (Hart).

Creating a monopoly where they control your entire future, a) limits guys from speaking out or standing up for themselves. Like Ambrose said, (and he seemed very respectful about it) if you keep getting put in these joke gimmicks, no one will ever see your ability or take you serious. I mean am I the only person that thinks Dean was the PERFECT person to have this storyline KO has right now? He seems the most "stone cold" out of anyone in recent history. Just a brawler that comes off as ehhh, take it or leave it, I'm not afraid of you or being fired. b) not having competition means you don't have to make the best matches or give the best product. Whatever you put out there is all anyone has to choose from.

The best thing that could happen to any of us is for AEW to really take off. Entry level contracts will become a thing, and better benefits will have to come about to keep guys from taking more money at the other place. Ring time will have to be earned, and not just given to the same couple guys, which will save us from the 70 year old in-his-prime-in-the-80s matches with young up and comer with a chip on his shoulder.

• Mike B likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#4868 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,562 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:15 AM

I think 205 winds up on USA with NXT.

I also think NXT is becoming a main stream brand of its own.  All the talent is getting a raise.

It should be interesting, to see how it plays out.

@mikeghg

#4869 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,562 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:18 AM

Yeah I mean it just goes to show how little room they have for product. If they keep giving all the screen time to the same 10 guys, guys like this get completely lost, and then have no where to go. That's why this industry NEEDS competition. It was at it's best when WWE and WCW were head to head. If one guy couldn't get enough time somewhere, he could go to the other and get an opportunity (Jericho). If a bridge was burned with a guy at one place, he could go to the other and still work, until he got too many concussions (Hart).

Creating a monopoly where they control your entire future, a) limits guys from speaking out or standing up for themselves. Like Ambrose said, (and he seemed very respectful about it) if you keep getting put in these joke gimmicks, no one will ever see your ability or take you serious. I mean am I the only person that thinks Dean was the PERFECT person to have this storyline KO has right now? He seems the most "stone cold" out of anyone in recent history. Just a brawler that comes off as ehhh, take it or leave it, I'm not afraid of you or being fired. b) not having competition means you don't have to make the best matches or give the best product. Whatever you put out there is all anyone has to choose from.

The best thing that could happen to any of us is for AEW to really take off. Entry level contracts will become a thing, and better benefits will have to come about to keep guys from taking more money at the other place. Ring time will have to be earned, and not just given to the same couple guys, which will save us from the 70 year old in-his-prime-in-the-80s matches with young up and comer with a chip on his shoulder.

I agree with a lot of this.

AEW made a mistake when they started the verbal jabbing at the WWE, which I think led to the move of the WWE's most popular brand to Wednesday night.

The other issue IMO, is the AEW is kind of a luke warm product, IMO, right now.

@mikeghg

#4870 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,207 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:46 AM

I agree with a lot of this.

AEW made a mistake when they started the verbal jabbing at the WWE, which I think led to the move of the WWE's most popular brand to Wednesday night.

The other issue IMO, is the AEW is kind of a luke warm product, IMO, right now.

Yeah I think they were trying to stir the pot before they were ready, and WWE has made some strong moves to combat them, which no one thought WWE would trouble themselves with.

They should have scooped a couple more FA, or just quietly waited for WWE to make their annual cuts and scooped people cheap first, THEN started the fight.

Anyone notice that they didn't make their annual cuts (although for a minute I swore Sasha Banks was one). WHOEVER is running things right now, (and I suspect Vince is really focusing on XFL and HHH is running WWE, which is why they brought in Heyman and Bischoff to help, also the ulterior motive of keeping AEW from getting their hands on either of them) is taking the threat more seriously.

• Mike B likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#4871 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,562 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 August 2019 - 01:32 PM

Yeah I think they were trying to stir the pot before they were ready, and WWE has made some strong moves to combat them, which no one thought WWE would trouble themselves with.

They should have scooped a couple more FA, or just quietly waited for WWE to make their annual cuts and scooped people cheap first, THEN started the fight.

Anyone notice that they didn't make their annual cuts (although for a minute I swore Sasha Banks was one). WHOEVER is running things right now, (and I suspect Vince is really focusing on XFL and HHH is running WWE, which is why they brought in Heyman and Bischoff to help, also the ulterior motive of keeping AEW from getting their hands on either of them) is taking the threat more seriously.

The AEW is supposedly well bankrolled so the WWE was probably on high alert anyway, but the chirping started the fight

@mikeghg

#4872 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,849 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:11 AM

If AEW wants to fight back, they should sign Punk and have him debut on their first episode!

• Mike B likes this

#4873 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:29 AM

If AEW wants to fight back, they should sign Punk and have him debut on their first episode!

It sounds like the door is wide, wide open for them to do this. 

If I'm Punk, I get the maximum money treatment and go for it. 

#4874 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,207 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 27 August 2019 - 12:23 PM

It sounds like the door is wide, wide open for them to do this. 

If I'm Punk, I get the maximum money treatment and go for it. 

That's exactly what I've been expecting.

But I think they need more than just him. He's the A-Lister they need, but I think they need to fill with some depth too, and since WWE didn't make that big round of cuts after WM like they usually do, there wasn't that free for all to scoop up.

I thought we were going to see like:

Ziggler

Revival

Sasha Banks

Apollo Crews

Titus

Renee Young

and some others...

all cut. But they didn't really cut anyone...and my guess is cause they know AEW is sitting there with a checkbook in hand watching the waiver wire.

Now they've got a logjam of talent they have to figure out an avenue for. Without adding more shows and titles, you just don't have anything for people to do, and that's enough for them to gamble on AEW when that contract comes up.

@JeremyMStrain

#4875 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,562 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 August 2019 - 01:40 PM

It would get the attention of the fans.  I think there is enough bad feelings between Punk and WWE, that he might be up to coming back to wrestle in AEW and piss off HHH.

@mikeghg

#4876 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,562 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 September 2019 - 09:46 AM

Anyone going to Raw tonight

@mikeghg

#4877 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,207 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:42 AM

Anyone going to Raw tonight

Nah, was going to, owe it to my 10 year old who missed it in DC, but it's the night before the first day of school. That's just asking for trouble.

@JeremyMStrain

#4878 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,562 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:52 AM

Nah, was going to, owe it to my 10 year old who missed it in DC, but it's the night before the first day of school. That's just asking for trouble.

Yep, first day of school is way more important.

The show was okay,  surprised at the timing of them turning Bayley heel.

Te dark natch after the show had Corbin and Rollins.  Pretty funny inter change between the fans and Corbin.  Fans were chanting Corbin sucks, he really really sucks.  Corbin grabbed a mic and yelled Corbin is good, he is really really good.

• JeremyStrain likes this
@mikeghg

#4879 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,207 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:34 AM

Te dark natch after the show had Corbin and Rollins.  Pretty funny inter change between the fans and Corbin.  Fans were chanting Corbin sucks, he really really sucks.  Corbin grabbed a mic and yelled Corbin is good, he is really really good.

See now I'm really glad I missed it. Bayley is/has been her favorite for years, she would NOT have been happy.

@JeremyMStrain

#4880 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,562 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:51 AM

See now I'm really glad I missed it. Bayley is/has been her favorite for years, she would NOT have been happy.

The timing makes no sense.

I have to wonder if they are flipping Charlotte back to face.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners