468 replies to this topic

#21 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,929 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

I'll really glad RShack is here and I always used to enjoy his posts, but I gotta agree with Pedro here, I do find this pretty funny.

It is...

And no worries, I don't take offense at anything anybody has said here... it's just folks talking, that's all it is...
  • Chris B likes this

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

#22 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,398 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

It is...

And no worries, I don't take offense at anything anybody has said here... it's just folks talking, that's all it is...

It's amazing how so many people lose sight of this. It's simple. That's all we're doing, just talking.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#23 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

I'll really glad RShack is here and I always used to enjoy his posts, but I gotta agree with Pedro here, I do find this pretty funny.

It is...

Amen to that.

#24 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,407 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

Tony banned me for good reason, no issue there...but the ensuing attacks on Chris weren't warranted.

I don't know what you did (I can only imagine ;-) but I did read what Tony had to say about Chris... and it was actually kinda sick.

What's amazing to me is that he has zero idea how he comes across. He seems to think he's being a tough no-nonsense kind of guy, which is delusional. What he does is attack and smear people who don't comply. That's what he did to Chris. Then, if they subsequently knuckle under, he says they have become a "good member of the community".

It's also hard to believe that he actually *said* that anyone posting here was being disloyal to him and the OH... and that he'd be watching and keeping score... he later kinda backed off when more than several people challenged him on that, but the fact that he would say it out loud shows that he likes doing stuff like that and has zero reality testing about how it causes others to view him.

I'm not saying he's ever violent to anybody, I'm not even trying to hint at that, but I do observe that the so-called logic he uses to justify his own behavior is pretty much identical to the kind of logic that wife-beaters use: "she made me do it", etc.

Yeah that's when I had enough really. I couldn't even fathom what was being said. So I said what 80% of the site was thinking and was very careful in my argument so that there was no rule breaking to ban me for so that I could let him continue to make himself look bad. Things definitely took a change after that though, there was a change in how some posters would even talk to me, like I was the bad guy, and on some "watch list" or something. It's whatever I cancelled and left for good, it's a more hostile place the past 2 years or so...and it's not TERRIBLE right now, but wait til the team starts losing again.
@JeremyMStrain

#25 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,741 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

Tony banned me for good reason, no issue there...but the ensuing attacks on Chris weren't warranted.

I don't know what you did (I can only imagine ;-) but I did read what Tony had to say about Chris... and it was actually kinda sick.

What's amazing to me is that he has zero idea how he comes across. He seems to think he's being a tough no-nonsense kind of guy, which is delusional. What he does is attack and smear people who don't comply. That's what he did to Chris. Then, if they subsequently knuckle under, he says they have become a "good member of the community".

It's also hard to believe that he actually *said* that anyone posting here was being disloyal to him and the OH... and that he'd be watching and keeping score... he later kinda backed off when more than several people challenged him on that, but the fact that he would say it out loud shows that he likes doing stuff like that and has zero reality testing about how it causes others to view him.

I'm not saying he's ever violent to anybody, I'm not even trying to hint at that, but I do observe that the so-called logic he uses to justify his own behavior is pretty much identical to the kind of logic that wife-beaters use: "she made me do it", etc.

I kept calling out a poster for being a moron. He was ruining the board and no one wanted him there. Tony asked me to stop and I basically said no, this guy is terrible,is bringing down your board and I will continue to call him out for it. Tony banned me because I basically said to him, I don't care what you say, I will keep it up.

He was well within his rights to object to that. He took it as insult towards him when I was really trying to defend his site.

Ironically, that poster was banned shortly after.

And btw, I was more pissed at what Scottie said towards Chris more than Tony.

I have zero against Tony or Scottie..just thought they handled that situation poorly.
@BSLRobShields

#26 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,398 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

I kept calling out a poster for being a moron. He was ruining the board and no one wanted him there. Tony asked me to stop and I basically said no, this guy is terrible,is bringing down your board and I will continue to call him out for it. Tony banned me because I basically said to him, I don't care what you say, I will keep it up.

He was well within his rights to object to that. He took it as insult towards him when I was really trying to defend his site.

I have zero against Tony or Scottie..just thought they handled that situation poorly.

I'm sure Tony or Scottie will read this and get offended at what I'm about to say, but oh well.

I didn't realize until the last couple weeks how vital you were to the board. Well, I always knew you were vital, but I didn't understand all the ways that you were. This isn't ass kissing, this is true.

My main point is that, you were a moderator in so many ways. Your personality would make it uncomfortable for people to say stupid things. Now that that is missing, people get away with saying stupid things regularly. It is driving me crazy. I try to jump in there from time to time to be a voice of reason, but then no one backs me. It takes someone special to have that presence, and that person isn't me... but you were great at that. Not having a frame of reference until now, I never understood how valuable that was. Seriously.
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#27 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,741 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

I'm sure Tony or Scottie will read this and get offended at what I'm about to say, but oh well.

I didn't realize until the last couple weeks how vital you were to the board. Well, I always knew you were vital, but I didn't understand all the ways that you were. This isn't ass kissing, this is true.

My main point is that, you were a moderator in so many ways. Your personality would make it uncomfortable for people to say stupid things. Now that that is missing, people get away with saying stupid things regularly. It is driving me crazy. I try to jump in there from time to time to be a voice of reason, but then no one backs me. It takes someone special to have that presence, and that person isn't me... but you were great at that. Not having a frame of reference until now, I never understood how valuable that was. Seriously.

I think this is a compliment. Lol

I am an extremely honest person. Part of that ends up me telling people like it is. Chris will tell you this, he has had to deal/listen to that for almost 20 years now. I know it comes across wrong at fines and I could word it differently at times but people are put off by those who tell it like it is.
@BSLRobShields

#28 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,398 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

I think this is a compliment. Lol

I am an extremely honest person. Part of that ends up me telling people like it is. Chris will tell you this, he has had to deal/listen to that for almost 20 years now. I know it comes across wrong at fines and I could word it differently at times but people are put off by those who tell it like it is.

It's definitely a compliment. You are very blunt, but you're also almost always right, and definitely always logical.

Usually the people who couldn't take it were the opposite (wrong/illogical), but were also blunt. The embarrassment drove some away. The people it drove away was a good thing.

I still remember one of my first posts ever on OH - I was all huffy and puffy about you dismissing Rodrigo's good season. My argument was W's. (I was like 19 years old and didn't have any handle on real baseball knowledge).

While I was incredibly embarrassed at being called stupid, I did see the logic, so I started looking into things and have learned a ton since then.

Again, a compliment, lol.

#29 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

I don't miss him at all. Folks get called out for stupid comments just fine. I was actually expecting more of a void over there with his departure then I have seen.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#30 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,398 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

I don't miss him at all. Folks get called out for stupid comments just fine. I was actually expecting more of a void over there with his departure then I have seen.

They may get called out, but it's just not the same, IMO.

#31 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:40 PM

I joked in one thread there that, seeing how Sports Guy seems to be more...temperate, I guess...over here than he did over there, Tony should have made him a mod years ago.

I mentioned this in another thread recently, but I was banned permanently several days after my return from my month-long ban. When I asked Tony why, since I had done nothing wrong (truly--if I had, I would have at least understood), he claimed that my ban was meant all along to be permanent. Which is an outright lie, since I saved the post (in a thread that, coincidentally, does not exist anymore) where he, after a string of insults, gives me a "break".

I've told him several times in the past that if he wanted me to leave (and he told me several times that he did) all he had to do was ban me, only he never had a good excuse. So the fact that he decided to end it for good doesn't surprise me. I just wish he wouldn't be so dishonest about it.

He talks about respect, but you can lose respect just as you earn it. He doesn't appear to understand that.

#32 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

Seems like Tony really wants to weed out the people who post on this board. I guess he was dead serious and remains so with his foxhole thing. MWeb said it best awhile back and I believe All Star did as well. Loyalty goes both ways.

Personally, Tony and I have never really got into much of a real argument. We've disagreed on some things but it's always been sports related and relatively civil. I've never felt disrespected by him. If I was ever in MWeb or All Star or even DJ MC's shoes with some of things he has said and treated them I would not continue to post there.

#33 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:27 PM

Seems like Tony really wants to weed out the people who post on this board. I guess he was dead serious and remains so with his foxhole thing. I'm disappointing in that. MWeb said it best awhile back and I believe All Star did as well. Loyalty goes both ways.

I will repeat that I have had no issues with anyone over there or here. I don't sense a pogrom against posters with "dual citizenship". I do know that Allstar feels differently but my experiences have not been the same.

#34 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:32 PM

Seems like Tony really wants to weed out the people who post on this board. I guess he was dead serious and remains so with his foxhole thing. I'm disappointing in that. MWeb said it best awhile back and I believe All Star did as well. Loyalty goes both ways.

I will repeat that I have had no issues with anyone over there or here. I don't sense a pogrom against posters with "dual citizenship". I do know that Allstar feels differently but my experiences have not been the same.

I haven't had any issues over there either but then again I'm not using the same screename. Chris asked that if possible we use our real names here and I decided to do that. Don;t know if things would be the same if I had the same screename or not.

#35 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,407 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

Yeah, that's cause I was much more vocal in the whole incident. ;) I basically made myself (along with MWeb, BTerp and a couple others) poster children for saying he wasn't treating us, as members of the community and paying customers, right at all.

I could have given specific examples of before and after behavior, and people stopping just short of saying "well maybe you shouldn't have posted over there then"...but I don't want to call people out. If they changed their view of me because I didn't see anything wrong with posting on both, that's their opinion. I do appreciate those of you that didn't change your views on me afterward though, it was greatly appreciated, through just normal conversation or PM.
@JeremyMStrain

#36 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,003 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

I think it may be worse for people who "outed" themselves or were "outed" by someone else as being a poster on here, especially if one took a stand against Tony's take and Scottie's two cents when it came to Chris, BSL, and message board loyalty.

#37 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

See I did the opposite, Stoner will tell you from this end, I was actively trying to quell hostility between the two sites. I saw no gain in folks getting riled up.

#38 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,003 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

See I did the opposite, Stoner will tell you from this end, I was actively trying to quell hostility between the two sites. I saw no gain in folks getting riled up.

There's not really a gain, but it was just a matter of principle to me.

#39 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,407 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

There's not really a gain, but it was just a matter of principle to me.

Same here, this was after 4 years of seeing these things happen to people (and to myself). Was hoping more people would say something and maybe he'd realize he was being unreasonable when he loses his little temper, but people just kept stroking his ego and telling him "great job" so nothing is going to change. I've talked to people since, and it's only a matter of time before he does it to any of them. People think they are safe and they are cool, but all you have to do is disagree with him one time, and BAM.
@JeremyMStrain

#40 Remember The Alomar

Remember The Alomar
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:18 AM

I think the biggest problem with the OH is its popularity and general "editorial tone" if you want to call it that. That's not a shot at Weams--I think he's fantastic. Rather, I've become frustrated with the large number of "deadwood" posters. Not saying I'm some wonderful godsend of a presence surrounded by plebeians over there, but I've found there's been in influx of posters that bring nothing to the table. I'm sure they're all nice people--and in different circumstances, perhaps I'd want to engage them in conversation--but I post there because I want to talk (semi)-intelligently about baseball. That really hasn't been happening as of late. The number of truly high quality threads over there has evaporated over the past 18 months. I can't remember the last 10+ page "good thread" i.e. a thread made up of analysis and conversation rather than rage over a controversy of sorts; the last I can remember was the "Fixing Wieters" thread from early last season.

I mentioned this to Allstar in a PM once, but I always wish there was an Orioles centric site similar to SOSH. Obviously, they have their flaws over there (the game threads are horrendous,) but the conversation and analysis on their main board is top notch. There are dozens of fantastic posters at OH, but they got lost in the sea of the plurality. I know that sounds unfortunately Randian, but I wish it were more exclusive over there--even if said exclusivity precluded my involvement in conversation.

Obviously this popularity is great for Tony and I applaud him for accomplishing what he's done. I've never had any run ins with him, and while the whole Stoner-SG kerfuffle rubbed me the wrong way, I really have no personal issues with him. I've learned a ton about baseball from my time there and in many ways I owe that to his hard work. My time at OH has been a net-positive for sure.

All that being said, it seems like this particular forum may be a better fit for what I want from a baseball website.

(As an aside, I remember my first post on OH was right after the Tejada trade. I called the return "trash" and I'm pretty sure I got called an idiot by SG and was negrepped. That "welcome to the big leagues moment" lead me to buying The Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract. I've come so far since I was 17.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners