#81 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,068 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:01 AM

Love him or hate him Mayweather is the greatest pound for pound fighter ever.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#82 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,229 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:04 AM

I don't find him entertaining but I have to agree. If I were a boxing purist who enjoyed the technical mastery of the sport I'd enjoy watching him more. Ah well. It was a pretty good fight.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#83 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,989 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:14 AM

Evander is tough to listen to as an analyst.

#84 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,989 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:16 AM

Mayweather threw more punches? That's surprising.

Lots of people had it even through the 6th... some even through the 8th.

Mayweather definitely won all the late rounds according to everyone.

#85 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,229 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:21 AM

Mayweather threw more punches? That's surprising.

Lots of people had it even through the 6th... some even through the 8th.

Mayweather definitely won all the late rounds according to everyone.

That's about right. Manny got tired. Also, Mayweather limited the damage when he got stung a few times. Manny would start to whale on him but wasn't connecting.
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#86 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 8,697 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:22 AM

Boxing just doesn't compare to MMA for me, even at this level. I thought it was a decent fight. I only saw it because my dad bought it, never would've paid money for it.

#87 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,229 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:25 AM

Boxing just doesn't compare to MMA for me, even at this level. I thought it was a decent fight. I only saw it because my dad bought it, never would've paid money for it.

I think true boxing fans probably viewed it as a great fight. But when you've lost a generation and hype this up as the fight of the century, your casual fan isn't going to appreciate the intricacies that made this a "great" fight.

It's like casual football fans that find defensive battles not-entertaining.
  • BSLBobPhelan likes this

#88 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,989 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:27 AM

AP reporting that Pac had a shoulder injury during training. Was denied anti-inflammatory.

#89 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,121 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:53 AM

What does that even mean? That hes the best among fighters his size?
@BSLMikeRandall

#90 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,975 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:11 AM

Deadspin: Floyd Mayweather Is A Coward

He won in the same way some neutral zone trap hockey team bleeds out another team. He clearly built his fighting style around with a calculated strategy of gaming the compubox system so that he gets credit for even the most cursory of punches. And he gets away with it because he always looks as if he can do more. It always feels like there’s some grand fusillade of punches in him that he never ends up having to deploy. He looks like he could unload if he ever felt like it, and so he gets an awful lot of credit for all the things he could do but is too shrewd to risk doing. The only time he ever goes on the offensive is when he’s fighting a woman.

@DJ_McCann

#91 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 8,697 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:29 PM

What does that even mean? That hes the best among fighters his size?

That he's the best fighter regardless of weight class. Best ever essentially if you made everyone the same size.

#92 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,229 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:31 PM

Maybe the best boxer. I'd take a ton of UFCguys over him.

#93 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,989 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:31 PM

I don't know enough about boxing to really have an opinion... does seem like a lot of analysts are saying he's the best of this era, but maybe not Top 20 all-time.

#94 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,989 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:34 PM

Isn't this the equivalent of saying you'd take a distance runner over Usain Bolt in a sprint?

Both combat sports, but not the same sport.
If he grows up in MMA, who knows what he is? If he faces MMA guys in an MMA ring now, probably everyone destroys him. If he faces those same guys in a boxing ring, he probably wins easily vs. everyone.

(Though I guess you could argue that a great MMA striker could get lucky with 1 punch.)

Whatever, I'm out of my depth here.

• Russ and BSLBobPhelan like this

#95 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,483 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:35 PM

You not only missed the dynasty O's, you also missed Ali... an impossible act to follow... boxing's been B.O.R.I.N.G. ever since....

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

#96 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,229 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:40 PM

Isn't this the equivalent of saying you'd take a distance runner over Usain Bolt in a sprint?

If he grows up in MMA, who knows what he is? If he faces MMA guys in an MMA ring now, probably everyone destroys him. If he faces those same guys in a boxing ring, he probably wins easily vs. everyone.

(Though I guess you could argue that a great MMA striker could get lucky with 1 punch.)

Well I was just pulling a Weber and nitpicking... Pedro said best fighter... not best boxer. ;)

#97 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,229 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:40 PM

You not only missed the dynasty O's, you also missed Ali... an impossible act to follow... boxing's been B.O.R.I.N.G. ever since....

Thanks for the reminder. ;)

#98 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 8,697 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:56 PM

Well I was just pulling a Weber and nitpicking... Pedro said best fighter... not best boxer. ;)

I actually agree with Chris here. I don't know enough about boxing to say if he is or not but I'd assume he's up there. I think he'd beat any UFC fighter you could put in a boxing ring against him and lose to any UFC guy that had a modicum of wrestling ability.

But if we're blending all combat sports, I'm biased but I'd also take some MMA guys over him.

#99 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,229 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:59 PM

I actually agree with Chris here. I don't know enough about boxing to say if he is or not but I'd assume he's up there. I think he'd beat any UFC fighter you could put in a boxing ring against him and lose to any UFC guy that had a modicum of wrestling ability.

But if we're blending all combat sports, I'm biased but I'd also take some MMA guys over him.

Bad on what you said I think we're all in agreement.

#100 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Moderators
  • 8,790 posts
  • LocationNaughtyham

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:11 PM

Nah, I disagree.  I've only ever really followed the heavyweights, but Holmes was incredible (very underrated), and Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, Fat Foreman, were all entertaining if not traditionally great.  The last 10 years have been very boring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners