38 replies to this topic

#21 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:40 AM

It may not be a splashy off-season for Baltimore but we're either going to retain Smith/McPhee and get depth of guys that are cut. Or we're going to get extra comp picks, cap space for carry over and get depth of guys that are cut.

Despite the big $9 mill in dead money from Rice, we're in surprisingly good shape on the cap if you ask me. Sure we're up against it but we've got a good to very good team depending on who you ask. You don't do that with the Jags cap number.

I know it sounds like we're right up against the cap but a RB, TE, CB, S and WR of the mid-tier veteran type that can be had after cuts should get this team back.

The continuity next year is going matter. We'll bring the same rushing guys in the front 7, the same offensive line, essentially all the 3/4 WRs will be back and know the system. And if Webb/Smith are both healthy they'll be back together having already been comfortable with Pees and the system. I think that continuity is going to help us surprise some next year, even if we don't (and we won't) have a flashy offseason.

In reality it doesn't have to be a splashy offseason. We need to resign the guys we can afford. Saftey is the only real concern I have about this team. Ozzie will let the market play out and he'll come in and make a move or two. I don't expect anything big.

#22 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:45 AM

I'm not completely uncomfortable with Hill/Stewart/Brooks either. Brooks hit well and has good speed, if he learns the game a bit better over the offseason he'll be OK. Stewart actually played pretty well in the Cover-2 sets against Pitt including the Brown near TD that he forced as an incompletion.

Ultimately I just don't want to see Elam on the field. I was willing to credit him for playing out of position, but he just missed too many tackles as a football player this year regardless of position. I wasn't ready to call him a bust mid-year but I am now.

#23 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:54 AM

You dont even get comp picks if you go out and have a splashy offseason. The NFL absolutely nails their comp system IMO. The Ravens are afforded all the comp picks because they spend the majority of their money on their own players and those they have to let go, they get adequate compensation because they arent out bringing in high priced FAs. If they do go spend on FAs the majority of them have been cut, meaning it doesnt count against compensation. 

The NFL has a great system and Oz plays the system perfectly. 

#24 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:57 AM

We are fine at safety. Might add one later in the draft or a low priced vet. Have to get two CBs. Just cant have enough of them. Cant be having guys play out of positionlike this year or reaching for 3 or 4 guys  on the practice squad. 

#25 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:54 PM

You aren't going to get any guys to have a lower cap hit after signing an extension, even in the first year, than the 4th year of their rookie deal typically pays them.  1st round guys would be the only possible exception.

Look at recent 2nd round picks.  Timmy Jernigan's cap hit in his 4th year will be $1.39M.  Arthur Brown's cap hit in his 4th year will be $1.13M.  Courtney Upshaw's cap hit will be $1.69M in his 4th year.  Torrey Smith's cap hit this year (his 4th) was $1.08M.  3rd and later round picks have even lower cap hits.

I support the idea of identifying guys you'd like to extend beyond their rookie deals and trying to get them signed after their 3rd seasons are over.  But a cap reduction in that 4th season is not one of the potential benefits.  You should still be able to save money compared to extending them after their 4th season, of course you have to weigh that against the risk of them not having a strong 4th year.  It's possible Torrey would have been more expensive to extend a year ago than he would be right now, for example.

Exactly, it just doesn't make sense for the team or the player to sign an extension after 3 years unless the player has a ton of leverage like Russell Wilson in this upcoming season. He's  clearly making far below what he is worth and could potentially hold out for a big contract. It doesn't help the salary cap to extend players still on their rookie contract. The only benefit for the the team is locking up a player for the long term and not letting them hit free agency where they could potentially demand a bigger contract.

@gabefergy

#26 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:04 PM

Off the top of my head the Ravens did with Webb. I think the Packers as well with Nelson but im not 100% sure on that one. I think it's common if your rookie doesnt accrue four years of service time to become a UFA. After three years he would be a restricted free agent. Thus you offer him a tender and another team can put in on offer sheet for the player and you lose him that way if you dont match the offer. If you think he is too good to offer the low tender for a fourth year salary and think that an offer sheet would be out of your budget considering the cap space, you sign your guy to a good contract.

I guess thats the thought process.

Well that was under the old CBA when players became RFA after their 3rd season. It makes some sense to extend a player if the tender is going to cost close to $2M or more. 

I guess Justin Tucker might be a candidate for an extension this offseason as well then.

@gabefergy

#27 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,230 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:17 AM

Im curious what you guys think about the contract extension numbers I came up with for Ngata and Yanda. High, low, just right?
@BSLMikeRandall

#28 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:49 AM

Im curious what you guys think about the contract extension numbers I came up with for Ngata and Yanda. High, low, just right?

Ngata sounds about right. I have thought all along he should command a deal similar to what Suggs got. Yanda might be a bit low, but not far off. He is playing at a ridiculous level and should be rewarded for it. I think he is worth $8M+ a year, so maybe if he gives a slight discount a 4 year $30M extension sounds right.
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this
@gabefergy

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,310 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:54 AM

Yeah, I agree.  Good work, I'd explore both deals.  Definitely want to get Yanda done.  Ngata I'd love to have back on a reasonable extension, but if he's not going to cooperate, just cut him then let him bring whatever deal he can get on the open market back to you.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#30 JohnnyK27

JohnnyK27

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:02 PM

Webb is another....his cap number is 4 million too high.

#31 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,230 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:54 PM

Webb is another....his cap number is 4 million too high.

Yeah. But I dont think they can extend him at this point. Probably next year.
@BSLMikeRandall

#32 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:56 PM

Do you think they'd approach him (Webb) about a cut with a threat of a Post June 1 cut?

I still stand by the fact that all in all I think our cap situation is relatively good compared to our needs coming into the offseason and that our lack of cap space shows the talent level of the team more than dysfunctional spending.

With the right cuts and extensions Torrey and Pernell could both stay...I don't think that means they should or will. But I think it'd certainly be possible.

#33 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:19 PM

Do you think they'd approach him (Webb) about a cut with a threat of a Post June 1 cut?

I still stand by the fact that all in all I think our cap situation is relatively good compared to our needs coming into the offseason and that our lack of cap space shows the talent level of the team more than dysfunctional spending.

With the right cuts and extensions Torrey and Pernell could both stay...I don't think that means they should or will. But I think it'd certainly be possible.

Really, I'm extremely happy with this team going into the offseason. We're a 2nd tier team as is, but we can bust into the top teams with a few great moves.

I'd put our front 7 on defense against anyone. And really, when healthy, I'd put our two starting CB's as a top 5 starting duo in the league. Prior to his foot injury, Jimmy Smith was becoming a shut down guy. And Will Hill was pretty good as a starter. Really, if we can find a good second saftey, and keep the rest as is, we have one of the top defenses in the NFL.

Offensively, we just need some more cconsistency. Continuity can help with thay. So hopefully Kubiak stays. But I'd like to see a playmaker or two added. Draft an eexplosive RB and WR in the mid rounds, maybe sign a buy-low candidate like McFadden.

If we go into next season with the same exact team, but healthy, I really wouldn't be that mad.

#34 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:27 AM

If we go into next season with the same exact team, but healthy, I really wouldn't be that mad.

BTW this is exactly why I feel like McPhee and Torrey could potentially be extended depending on what we do for the cap but I'd also be fine with losing them both and taking those comp picks.

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,310 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:44 PM

If we pass on every one of our draft picks, I wouldn't be too pleased :)

• BSLRobShields and Biggsy like this

#36 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,230 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:14 PM

Txt alert: Harbaugh "real confident" in getting an extension done with Haloti.
@BSLMikeRandall

#37 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:29 PM

I saw something yesterday that said the cap figures to be 1-1.5 million more than originally expected...it will fall in the 140-143M range.
@BSLRobShields

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,117 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:31 AM

Buried in this CBS Sports article on the Bills, was this comment on Stewart:

Fresh off a one-year deal worth a little more than $1 million with the Ravens, the 26-year-old safety arguably represents the best age/production/cost combination on the free-agent market at his position. The Bills should give him a $4 million contract with $2 million guaranteed.

http://www.cbssports...need-to-do-next

#39 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:46 AM

Stewart was fine late last year. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners