#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,933 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:39 AM

http://baltimorespor...aking-receiver/

Steve Smith has cooled off since a hot start. The choices facing the team next year, a future possibly without Torrey Smith. 

• BSLChrisStoner and Icterus galbula like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:02 AM

Draft is a crap shoot with WR's. Last year was an anomaly. Watkins, Evans, Beckham, Cooks and Benjamin all looked like future studs. That just isn't going to happen very often, if it all, ever again. That class was special, and it sucks we didn't grab one of them. But hard to complain with the way Mosley has played and the promise Jernigan has shown.

However next year, outside of Jalen Strong and Amari Cooper. I don't really like any of the WR's as much as any of the top 6 or 7 from last year. We aren't getting Cooper, and more than likely not Strong either. So as of right now, I'd say 1st rounder is out of the question. And with our cap situation, I'd say an impact FA is very unlikely as well.

As of right now I could see us resigning Smith to a fair deal and going into next year with the same group.
I wouldn't be mad about it as long as you focus on the secondary and do a complete overhaul. Jimmy Smith should be the only one that should be safe.
  • Icterus galbula and BSLMikeRandall like this

#3 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,933 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:26 AM

Worth noting I think that the Ravens save substantial cap space from releasing Ngata and Canty. It looks like he's expendable as WIlliams and Jernigan look like studs, plus you have Lewis-Moore, Urban coming back next year (We hope). 

Both Ngata and Canty's release will save the Ravens $11.1M in cap space. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#4 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:00 AM

Worth noting I think that the Ravens save substantial cap space from releasing Ngata and Canty. It looks like he's expendable as WIlliams and Jernigan look like studs, plus you have Lewis-Moore, Urban coming back next year (We hope). 

Both Ngata and Canty's release will save the Ravens $11.1M in cap space. 

That'd be huge. But to be honest. If that money went towards Smith, and the rest to overhauling the secondary. I would be very happy. Although, I'd like to see more of Rashaan Melvin. He's looked good the past two weeks.

#5 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,483 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:33 PM

I don't follow the Ravens closely, so maybe I'm wrong about this... but it seems like Torrey Smith has flashes of superstar-ness.  What stops him from being one?

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

#6 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,208 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:41 PM

I don't follow the Ravens closely, so maybe I'm wrong about this... but it seems like Torrey Smith has flashes of superstar-ness.  What stops him from being one?

His hands could use improvement and it seems like he often plays looking for pass interference, and lets contact turn him a bit mopey. When he plays with real aggression it shows in his stat lines.
  • Greg Pappas and 1970 like this

#7 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,933 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 01:10 PM

His hands could use improvement and it seems like he often plays looking for pass interference, and lets contact turn him a bit mopey. When he plays with real aggression it shows in his stat lines.

Yeah he doesn't win many physical battles. He doesn't get himself open often.
@BSLMikeRandall

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,770 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 01:14 PM

Routes are not great, and the Ravens don't use him very well.

I do think he will retain his speed over next 3-4 years - and I'd like to retain him - but kind of doubt he will return.

#9 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 03:58 PM

Yeah, not even close.  He's like Mike Wallace in that he has the speed to break one deep, particularly when facing one on one coverage, but his route running is sub par, he has a lot of bad drops, and he's not a very physical receiver.  He's basically a one trick pony.  I don't see him coming back, someone is going to overpay him.

#10 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 04:10 PM

I don't know that he plays looking for the pass interference. It's just that he beats one on one coverage over the top very easily. And CB's are being taught that it's better to interfere than give up a TD.

Smith's issues are he isn't very smooth. His movements seem very stiff and he doesn't really have great agility. Those things combine hurt his short area quickness and his ability to get open on anything but deeper routes.

#11 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,181 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:30 AM

Nice to see Campanaro's emergence yesterday, I'd like to think that he could be a shifty playmaker over the middle. 

Really liked that screen play as well. 

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#12 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:55 AM

For the record, I don't think it's just a receiver. If we could land a buy low candidate like CJ Spiller, I think he can make a lot of noise when used properly.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#13 primetime

primetime

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:45 AM

We need playmakers and more.talent on offense, period. After Flacco, when your best offensive player is your right guard, you need to address some things.

The WR/TE corps is loaded with question marks from age (Smith Sr, Daniels), hands (Torrey, Jacoby, Smith Sr), route running (Torrey, Jacoby, Marlon), consistency (Torrey, Marlon) and having enough talent to stick in the league (Aiken, Campanero, Gilmore). And of course there's the question of Pitta's health.

At RB, Forsett has been a nice story but to count on him to produce another big year at age 30 is a pretty big risk; even in Kubiak's RB factory of a system. Bernard Pierce is staring to look like a poor fit for this system at best, a bust at worst. Maybe Taliaferro is a player but the jury is still out.

Bottom line, we need more talent on offense to keep pace with the evolution of the game.
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this
@primetime667083

#14 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:55 AM

I mean it would always be nice to get a #1 WR but the true #1 WRs are as rare as the true #1 SPs in baseball. I think we'll likely resign Torrey. He's a good # 2. He provides the ability to take the top off a defense which is important for this WC offense and Joe.  Yes, he has some issues that hold him back but he's become a better route runner.  I like Camp as a slot guy. I think he's gonna be good there if he can stay healthy. Brown and Aiken are good, solid depth. I wouldn't be surprised if they return with the exact same WR corp and are content to do it. Bottom line is none of those #1 guys are really going to end up available in FA and we wouldn't have the ability to go get them anyway. You've got to draft that guy. Thats the only way. 

I will say this, the Ravens shouldnt be afraid to look into a lottery ticket in Justin Blackmon should he get released. . 

#15 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 81,972 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:36 AM

There have been several WR come in and immediately contribute as of late.

The WR position is becoming easier to transition to the NFL because of so many pro style offenses in colleges nowadays.

I don't want Torrey back at all unless the contract is cheap and it won't be.

Agree with Branden about Blackmon.

@BSLRobShields

#16 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:20 PM

I mean it would always be nice to get a #1 WR but the true #1 WRs are as rare as the true #1 SPs in baseball. I think we'll likely resign Torrey. He's a good # 2. He provides the ability to take the top off a defense which is important for this WC offense and Joe.  Yes, he has some issues that hold him back but he's become a better route runner.  I like Camp as a slot guy. I think he's gonna be good there if he can stay healthy. Brown and Aiken are good, solid depth. I wouldn't be surprised if they return with the exact same WR corp and are content to do it. Bottom line is none of those #1 guys are really going to end up available in FA and we wouldn't have the ability to go get them anyway. You've got to draft that guy. Thats the only way. 

I will say this, the Ravens shouldnt be afraid to look into a lottery ticket in Justin Blackmon should he get released. . 

I'd love to take a flyer on Blackmon or Gordon. But after last offseason, our front office may be hesitant in bringing in more possible distractions.

#17 esporter

esporter

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:46 PM

I don't think a #1 WR is that rare. Just off the top of my head, here are guys who are (or were within the last year or two) major, major difference makers at the position:

Dez

Julio

AJ Green

Andre Johnson

Calvin Johnson

Jordy Nelson

Antonio Brown

Josh Gordon (when healthy & right)

Brandon Marshall

Fitzgerald (when healthy, maybe younger)

Demaryius Thomas

Desean Jackson (lower tier #1, but still)

Guys like ODB Jr, Mike Evans, Benjamin & Watkins could be in or about to enter the discussion.

That's 16 guys. You could probably think of a few more. So around half the league has a legit #1 WR. And that's not even counting difference-making tight ends.

It shouldn't be THAT hard to find a real playmaker. Somehow. Somewhere.

wordsbyevanporter.com

@esporter

#18 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,044 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:14 PM

Draft is a crap shoot with WR's. Last year was an anomaly. Watkins, Evans, Beckham, Cooks and Benjamin all looked like future studs. That just isn't going to happen very often, if it all, ever again. That class was special, and it sucks we didn't grab one of them. But hard to complain with the way Mosley has played and the promise Jernigan has shown.

However next year, outside of Jalen Strong and Amari Cooper. I don't really like any of the WR's as much as any of the top 6 or 7 from last year. We aren't getting Cooper, and more than likely not Strong either. So as of right now, I'd say 1st rounder is out of the question. And with our cap situation, I'd say an impact FA is very unlikely as well.

As of right now I could see us resigning Smith to a fair deal and going into next year with the same group.
I wouldn't be mad about it as long as you focus on the secondary and do a complete overhaul. Jimmy Smith should be the only one that should be safe.

Last year's WR class was exceptional, and while this year's doesn't have quite the star potential, it is still pretty deep with talent.

A guy the Ravens should look long and hard at is Devante Parker. You might remember him as the guy that came down with most of Teddy Brdigewater's passes. He is a projected first round player, but the Ravens might have a shot at him.

I think Jaelen Strong will be on the board for the Ravens pick, and he is a guy I like as well although I see him as more of a possession WR than a bigtime playmaker.

Day 2 guys like Nelson Agholor, James Hardy, Rashad Greene, Tyler Lockette, Devin Smith, and Stefon Diggs all look extremely promising to me.

The most talented of all the WRs is probably Dorial Green-Beckham, but his laundry list is so long I doubt he is on the Ravens board. If he gets his head on straight, he has superstar potential in the NFL.

@gabefergy

#19 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 81,972 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:39 PM

I have seen Parker in that 18-22 range early on.

We talked about Beckham last night...that's the guy to get if you are ok with his issues.

@BSLRobShields

#20 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:44 PM

I like Parker, I think he projects well to the league. I think he might be gone by 26 though.

What exactly did Beckham do? I don't think I've seen the full rap sheet, but I know there was some kind of dv incident.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners