435 replies to this topic

#421 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,274 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

The problem can be simple but that doesn't mean the solution is simple.  He may have gotten himself screwed up by trying to hit the ball out, it happens, but I don't think he'd ignore the results for this long and continue trying to hit homeruns despite his numbers being so bad.  But once you're off, it can absolutely be more difficult than to simply say "let's go back to what used to work" and everything be back as good as new.  If it was always that easy, slumps wouldn't exist.

Maybe he's still plugging along exactly the same and not trying to make any adjustments at all.  I just don't buy it.  It doesn't make sense to me.  The results and the approach may look the same to us, but I that doesn't mean he's not trying to resolve the problems.

#422 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 62,036 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:28 PM

I think you are forgetting what the ego can do to a player.

I do think he's working on things and likely snaps out of it.  Just his BABIP normalizing will help.

I still say he ends up with a 4 WAR season and an OPS over 825...but that's very good player numbers...Not MVP candidate numbers.

@BSLRobShields

#423 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,027 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:32 PM

I think you are forgetting what the ego can do to a player.

I do think he's working on things and likely snaps out of it.  Just his BABIP normalizing will help.

I still say he ends up with a 4 WAR season and an OPS over 825...but that's very good player numbers...Not MVP candidate numbers.

The question with his BABIP is how much will it normalize. He's got a career .302 BABIP. But in the 2nd half of last year, when his approach changed, his BABIP was .268. So let's say his .239 jumps to .270. A nice jump, but not enough or anywhere close to get him back to MVP form offensively. Not that you were suggesting this, but there's obviously more to the story than BABIP, and I think the bigger picture points back to approach.

• BSLRobShields likes this
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#424 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 62,036 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:35 PM

http://www.totalpros...utm_campaign=fb
@BSLRobShields

#425 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maryland

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:06 PM

Wonderful.

#426 Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:23 PM

Wonderful.
It's boring as shit when your starting pitcher gives up 6 runs in three innings every damn game. He's not wrong. We can all turn the game off. Or never turn it on, as I've chosen to do lately.
  • Mike B likes this

#427 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,613 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:09 AM

Manny needs to get a master lock for his mouth.

@mikeghg

#428 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 62,036 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:16 AM

I don't see anything wrong with what he said. This is the problem baseball faces, not that there is much they can do about it.
@BSLRobShields

#429 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,613 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:43 AM

I don't see anything wrong with what he said. This is the problem baseball faces, not that there is much they can do about it.

He is biting the hand that feeds him.

If the fans do not come....Manny does not get 300 million from anyone.

Lucky for Manny and Harper, fans tend to ignore what they say.

@mikeghg

#430 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,583 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:07 PM

Baseball has seen it's best attendance numbers in it's history over the last 11 seasons. Granted, 2007 was the highest attended season at 79M+. Average from 2005-2016 is about 75M, with 2016 being on the lower end at 73.1M. 

https://www.forbes.c...5/#7530326872ff

Baseball attendance from this point in 2016 to this point is 2017 is down a mere 37 people a game. Orioles attendance is actually up.  

https://www.baseball...2017-misc.shtml

If the correlation is MLB is boring = lower attendance, then it must have been an utter snooze-fest 25 years ago when attendance was only about 56M, almost 20M less than average of this generation. In an age with limited options for entertainment. No netflix, no social media, no tinder, not everyone had cable, or internet, access to all the games, scores, info, right in the palm of your hand when ever you want it.

https://www.baseball...1992-misc.shtml

Even if you account for 4 less teams in the league back then, the two Florida teams don't draw hardly anyone at all anyway. 

Why is attendance down? If it's because baseball is boring, then it's only a handful of people that are getting bored in the short term, while over the long term, more and more people are taking in ball games than ever before. It seems a lot like the value of things like gold, or homes. The big picture of the graph of it's value is always going up, but with slight dips down at times. Only MLB hasn't had a crash, and probably won't.  

Manny and Harper both have said people find baseball boring. I'd say they are speaking about a real small segment of fans. 

• CA-ORIOLE likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#431 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 62,036 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:19 PM

Ehh, I disagree.  Going to the game is a lot different than watching it on TV.  And, there is a real generational issue that exists with baseball now and I think that is really who Manny is speaking to and about.

@BSLRobShields

#432 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maryland

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:15 PM

It's boring as shit when your starting pitcher gives up 6 runs in three innings every damn game. He's not wrong. We can all turn the game off. Or never turn it on, as I've chosen to do lately.

No O's fan would argue with you about that statement.  But is he even talking exclusively about the Orioles games, I don't think so.

#433 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,583 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:20 PM

Ehh, I disagree.  Going to the game is a lot different than watching it on TV.  And, there is a real generational issue that exists with baseball now and I think that is really who Manny is speaking to and about.

Right. Players want to express themselves. The old guard doesn't want to see that and think buzzing the tower is still okay which limits that.

Expression is one thing. Manny probably thinks fans want to see him admire his "home run", blow kisses to the crowd, flip his bat, as the ball falls weakly into the left fielders glove on the warning track.
@BSLMikeRandall

#434 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,892 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:21 PM

[T]here is a real generational issue that exists with baseball now and I think that is really who Manny is speaking to and about.

This is the key, right here. It doesn't matter if baseball actually is boring or not, because it has that perception among younger people. And the demographics of viewership and attendance continue to age.

@DJ_McCann

#435 Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:21 PM

No O's fan would argue with you about that statement.  But is he even talking exclusively about the Orioles games, I don't think so.
I think his statement is likely informed by a generally more negative attitude because of recent team performance. That's my perception, not necessarily reality. I do think that Manny is affected by the team's performance of late. Its not a good thing but I think it's happening.

#436 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:01 PM

I think the attendance records are very misleading. Remember, that we are strong into the period now where us baby boomers (who grew up with baseball as our main sport) are at or nearing retirement. We are at a point where we have some discretionary funding. So attendance is strong with our generation and some of the younger crowd.

But we are not the future attendees for baseball games. It isn't going to happen overnight. But the chances are that baseball attendance will start to drop and maybe by a fair bit.

1. Spending a nice summer evening at the ball park is great. But it starts to be a tough sell when games are so long. The game and all that does with it is expensive (tickets, parking, food).

2. If you really want to see baseball and watch it from the technical aspects of things then TV is way better. More replays. More camera angles. Etc Etc Etc.  And you can do it for much less money and time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors