276 replies to this topic

#261 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:43 PM

The Fielding Bible predicts a gold glove for Davis.

http://www.billjames...tenders_part_i/

#262 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:55 PM

The Orioles arranged an MRI for first baseman Chris Davis, who played most of the season with discomfort in his hand. He never went on the disabled list and the club wanted to be certain that he won’t need surgery.

“There’s so many things like that that are going on, you’re always careful about telling truths that hurt innocent people, and Chris wanted nobody to look at it as an excuse,” Showalter said on Oct. 6.

“He had some discomfort there and it was a challenge for him the last couple months of the season.”

http://www.masnsport...th-updates.html

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#263 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:32 PM

Davis named a gold glove finalist.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#264 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,613 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 October 2016 - 08:43 AM

Davis named a gold glove finalist.

Well deserved.  His defense was excellent.

@mikeghg

#265 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,613 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 October 2016 - 08:54 AM

One other thing.  I read all the time that people want to put Chris in RF.  Chris is okay out in right field but nothing special by any means.  Our corner outfield defense was bad, with Trumbo, Kim, Nolan etc. so Chris would be an improvement over them, but we need real outfielders for next year.

• FFM and BSLSteveBirrer like this
@mikeghg

#266 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 85,711 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:48 PM

MASN: Davis says dislocated thumb is fine, O'Day is recovered from a pair of injuries

#267 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,613 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:37 PM

I thought this interview with Davis gives good insight into how a hitter thinks at the plate, especially when he is struggling.

Hopefully Chris is going on to one of his hot streaks.  With all the pitching problems, we could use it.

http://www.masnsport...w_id=3354926&p=

@mikeghg

#268 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,274 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:01 PM

He's raised his OPS 154 points over the past 3 games.

Which is now good for 12th highest in the AL.

• Ricker Says and BSLGabeFerguson like this

#269 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,579 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:21 PM

This may be wrong but feels like his hot streaks are too acute. He just explodes for 3 or 4 games and then goes back to being meh. I've accepted he is streaky but I wish he could sustain the hot streaks longer. Say over a few weeks. Even if they mean he isnt white hot as he is over a 3 or 4 game span. Show some consistency

#270 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,274 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

I believe I've read analysis that has been done that basically said it doesn't matter when your production comes, it just matters what the total production ends up being.  So someone streaky who can carry your team over brief stretches is just as valuable as a more steady guy with lower highs and higher lows if they have the same overall production at season's end.

I do think your observation of Chris having insane weeks and then long down periods does often hold true.  And I don't know how extreme any of those studies went in determining if someone was a crazy hot and cold hitter versus a steady producer.

#271 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 85,711 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:37 PM

This may be wrong but feels like his hot streaks are too acute. He just explodes for 3 or 4 games and then goes back to being meh. I've accepted he is streaky but I wish he could sustain the hot streaks longer. Say over a few weeks. Even if they mean he isnt white hot as he is over a 3 or 4 game span. Show some consistency

I believe I've read analysis that has been done that basically said it doesn't matter when your production comes, it just matters what the total production ends up being.  So someone streaky who can carry your team over brief stretches is just as valuable as a more steady guy with lower highs and higher lows if they have the same overall production at season's end.

I do think your observation of Chris having insane weeks and then long down periods does often hold true.  And I don't know how extreme any of those studies went in determining if someone was a crazy hot and cold hitter versus a steady producer.

True and true.

I'd take fewer peaks and valleys if possible...  but the end result is the end result all the same.

Also believe it's true that Chris has more extreme peaks and valleys than most.

#272 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:28 AM

I get that the end results are what matters. However, I think there is a deeper thing to look at when it comes to a team like the O's and the way they are built. We have talked about this on this board before.

Lets say a team scores 800 runs in a season basically averaging 5 runs/game. The stat geeks can tell you that equates to X wins in an average season. Scoring 5 runs in a game means you win more than you lose. But scoring 8 runs in a game doesn't give you many more wins over the scoring of 5 but scoring 2 gives you way less wins than scoring 5. So if a team has a number of Chris Davis they can go out and score 8 runs/game for 5 games and likely win all 5 games. But then they turn around and only score 2 runs/game for the next 5 games. At the end of those 10 games they have scored 50 runs but they are probably only 5-5.

#273 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 85,711 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:19 PM

Left the game with an oblique.

#274 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,662 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:09 PM

Who cares.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#275 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 85,711 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:41 AM

Chris Davis (oblique) had two PRP injections on Tuesday to help speed his recovery.
Davis has yet to resume baseball activities since being placed on the 10-day disabled list with a strained right oblique on June 14. He is hoping to be cleared for such work in the next few days. There is no concrete timetable for his recovery, but he could potentially return before the All-Star Break if he does not hit a setback. Jun 21 - 4:55 PM

#276 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,613 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:18 PM

Chris Davis (oblique) had two PRP injections on Tuesday to help speed his recovery.
Davis has yet to resume baseball activities since being placed on the 10-day disabled list with a strained right oblique on June 14. He is hoping to be cleared for such work in the next few days. There is no concrete timetable for his recovery, but he could potentially return before the All-Star Break if he does not hit a setback. Jun 21 - 4:55 PM

He was in the dugout today,  I know it is easy to hate on Chris and many here seem to enjoy doing just that, but hopefully he gets back with a clear head and produces.

@mikeghg

#277 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 85,711 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:00 PM

MASN: Davis remains encouraged by health as activities increase
http://www.masnsport...s-increase.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors