• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#241 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 89,409 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:36 AM

MASN: Do the Orioles face a tough call on Chris Tillman?
http://www.masnsport...is-tillman.html

#242 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:12 AM

He didn't pitch that well in his three rehab starts so far and the last one was A ball. Seriously I don't think he is ready. Fastball barely touched 90.....that is not a sign of somebody who is ready to face MLB lineups, especially the Red Sox.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#243 Il BuonO

Il BuonO

Opposite Field Power

• Members
  • Pip
  • 618 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:24 PM

He didn't pitch that well in his three rehab starts so far and the last one was A ball. Seriously I don't think he is ready. Fastball barely touched 90.....that is not a sign of somebody who is ready to face MLB lineups, especially the Red Sox.

You think he's a worse option than Jimenez?

#244 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

BSL Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,454 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:32 PM

Could be. Tillman has always been a tight rope Walker so if he isn't fully healthy yet no reason to rush him back.

#245 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:49 PM

No absolutely not. BUT given that Tillman missed time last year with the shoulder. Took treatments clear into December. Missed a lot of ST. Is barely hitting 90 on the gun. Then hell no I am not bringing him up. I don't think he's ready and am concerned about reinjury.  This team is already headed downhill fast. We have to have Tillman back. But only when he can be somewhat effective.

#246 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:52 PM

Biggest thing with Tillman is how he feels tomorrow morning. Can't afford any setbacks for the long term sake of this club, and our limited SP resources and continued Ubaldo implosion. We need to not push him and make sure he's truly ready, physically and mentally before throwing him in there. We need him to produce.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#247 Il BuonO

Il BuonO

Opposite Field Power

• Members
  • Pip
  • 618 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:40 PM

Does he pitch for the Tides tonight?

#248 Il BuonO

Il BuonO

Opposite Field Power

• Members
  • Pip
  • 618 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:53 PM

Never mind, I see that he is pitching for them in Charlotte.

#249 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maryland

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:37 PM

Tillman is obviously not healthy and it's an open question if he'll ever be effective again even in a back of the rotation manner.  Put this guy on the DL.  I know we don't have much pitching but Tillman is a disaster waiting to happen every time he starts.  Bring up Lucas Long or someone, take a shot.  See how it goes because right now were being overwhelmed.

#250 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,187 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:44 PM

The pitch on which he gave up the homer to Judge was essentially a BP fastball; straight and down the middle.

I mean, you have to DL him at this point just because SOMETHING is clearly wrong.

• B00E00N00 likes this
@DJ_McCann

#251 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:45 PM

The pitch on which he gave up the homer to Judge was essentially a BP fastball; straight and down the middle.

I mean, you have to DL him at this point just because SOMETHING is clearly wrong.

Yep, 84MPH middle in, no movement.  That's not going to get it done in the minors, let alone the majors.

#252 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 64,930 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:23 PM

Stop pitching this bum. He's done for this year.

You want him in during a blowout, fine...anything other than that is almost as bad a decision as not pitching Britton in the WC game last year.
@BSLRobShields

#253 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 89,409 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:37 PM

I'm a Chris Tillman fan.  I believe he will rebound next year.  You can't be starting him now. Rob's right. For whatever reason, for this year... he's done.

If you want to keep him active with the extended roster, and available just in-case you have to have some else start... I get that.

#254 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:27 AM

Were 5-13 in game that he starts.  He fails both the numbers and the eye test.  It would be utterly crazy to continue to give him starts.

#255 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

BSL Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,454 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:35 AM

Track record, blah, blah blah....

#256 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,288 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:42 AM

So Tillman's not gonna come anywhere near qualifying innings, so he won't go down as the worst starting pitcher season in O's history based on qualified ERA, that's 5.87 from Rodrigo Lopez in 2006.

He's pitched 79.2 IP this year with a 7.91 ERA.  If we assume he gets someone else out at some point, he would have the second highest ERA of any O's pitcher in history to throw at least 80 innings in a season.  Worst ever is Jimmy Haynes back in 1996; 8.29 ERA in 89.0 IP.  Tillman would be narrowly ahead (behind?) of Scott Erickson's 7.87 ERA in 92.2 IP in 2000.

There have been 18 guys in team history to throw 80 innings with a 6+ ERA.  Amazingly, three of those seasons occurred in 2008: Radhames Liz (6.72), Garrett Olson (6.65), and Brian Burres (6.01).  That trio threw 346.2 innings that year, or nearly a quarter of the frames for the team that entire year.

• DJ MC and jkough1 like this

#257 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 89,409 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:48 AM

So Tillman's not gonna come anywhere near qualifying innings, so he won't go down as the worst starting pitcher season in O's history based on qualified ERA, that's 5.87 from Rodrigo Lopez in 2006.

He's pitched 79.2 IP this year with a 7.91 ERA.  If we assume he gets someone else out at some point, he would have the second highest ERA of any O's pitcher in history to throw at least 80 innings in a season.  Worst ever is Jimmy Haynes back in 1996; 8.29 ERA in 89.0 IP.  Tillman would be narrowly ahead (behind?) of Scott Erickson's 7.87 ERA in 92.2 IP in 2000.

There have been 18 guys in team history to throw 80 innings with a 6+ ERA.  Amazingly, three of those seasons occurred in 2008: Radhames Liz (6.72), Garrett Olson (6.65), and Brian Burres (6.01).  That trio threw 346.2 innings that year, or nearly a quarter of the frames for the team that entire year.

Erickson certainly fell off a cliff. Hopefully not the same for Chris.

The 2008 Orioles (between the arms you mention here) and the 5  SS's that got time...  oof.

At-least that was the start of Adam Jones era.

#258 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:10 AM

I am really thinking that Tillman might really be finished. Not something I can really put my finger on but his whole demeanor on the mound looks wrong. And his fastball lately has been pretty much flat at 89mph. I don't know what causes a pitcher to have a "dead arm" or how they recover from it beyond the simple just get rest thing. But he looks to be a dead arm and I don't know how that could be with only 80 innings pitched?

I hope I am wrong. I like Chris. Seems to be a hard working good teammate. But I have never been a big fan of his pitching. Works too hard for me for the number of outs he produces. But now he simply should not be on the mound.

#259 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,773 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:41 AM

He's pitched 79.2 IP this year with a 7.91 ERA. If we assume he gets someone else out at some point, he would have the second highest ERA of any O's pitcher in history to throw at least 80 innings in a season. Worst ever is Jimmy Haynes back in 1996; 8.29 ERA in 89.0 IP. Tillman would be narrowly ahead (behind?) of Scott Erickson's 7.87 ERA in 92.2 IP in 2000.

There have been 18 guys in team history to throw 80 innings with a 6+ ERA. Amazingly, three of those seasons occurred in 2008: Radhames Liz (6.72), Garrett Olson (6.65), and Brian Burres (6.01). That trio threw 346.2 innings that year, or nearly a quarter of the frames for the team that entire year.

But Ubaldo will probably qualify. And don't discount the possibility of a horrible Sept by Miley beating Rodrigo too. Tully's staffmates have his back when it comes to futility

#260 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:24 PM

I'm not sure about the velocity, at times it seemed fine. I suspect some cutters may have been picked up as FB's. Actually threw quite a few very nice changeups. But man he has having trouble with the slider.  What a horrible call and pitch to Gammels on that 3 run HR. Haven't looked a the data but it seemed odd to be throwing so many R on R changeups and sliders/cutters to LHB's. I suspect he may not be that far off and its mechanics and not at tired arm and/or injury. That said, it took Peterson forever to get him right initially. I think I'd give him one more shot but be ready to pull him early.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors