• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Operations Mgr

• Administrators
  • 49,797 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

Would you be willing to trade Gausman as the centerpiece in a deal for Price?

#2 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Mod and Sports Tonight Co-host

• Moderators
  • 31,701 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

Mike and I talked about this on our podcast this week.

You trade Gausman in a heartbeat for him....I think Price is a little overrated but he is still a TOR guy and we need one.

But they will get a lot more for him than we can offer.

@BSLRobShields

#3 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

Game Thread Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,106 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

If I knew that we would pony up the money to keep him here LT w/o totally crippling our team in other areas while this window of contention is open, I'd do that in a heart beat. But with the payroll being what it is (assuming it won't increase very much), it doesn't make sense to trade away all that surplus value in Gausman for an expensive, though very productive piece like Price.

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
You'll always be with us Flanny

#4 Oriole85

Oriole85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,059 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

Not really realistic, I'm sure the Rays will get better offers. But sure, I'd love to have Price, assuming we signed him to an extension.

@levineps

#5 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

• Moderators
  • 31,701 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

If I knew that we would pony up the money to keep him here LT w/o totally crippling our team in other areas while this window of contention is open, I'd do that in a heart beat. But with the payroll being what it is (assuming it won't increase very much), it doesn't make sense to trade away all that surplus value in Gausman for an expensive, though very productive piece like Price.

It does if you are going to keep the team together for the next 2 years..which is essentially the window they have with this current team.

@BSLRobShields

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Operations Mgr

• Administrators
  • 49,797 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

Not really realistic, I'm sure the Rays will get better offers. But sure, I'd love to have Price, assuming we signed him to an extension.

They are not going to get a centerpiece that is much/any better than Gausman.  That upside + cheap team control. They likely could get better 2nd pieces than the O's could offer. (Though if Schoop or Rodriguez was added, our chances would be as good as any.)

Obviously if you traded Gausman by himself (and especially if you added more to the deal), you'd have to have an extension in place.

So there would be two huge questions for the O's there... 1) Do you want to give up those cheap years of control, and 2) Do you want to give Price the extension he would require?

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,059 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

They are not going to get a centerpiece that is much/any better than Gausman.  That upside + cheap team control. They likely could get better 2nd pieces than the O's could offer. (Though if Schoop or Rodriguez was added, our chances would be as good as any.)

Obviously if you traded Gausman by himself (and especially if you added more to the deal), you'd have to have an extension in place.

So there would be two huge questions for the O's there... 1) Do you want to give up those cheap years of control, and 2) Do you want to give Price the extension he would require?

I think it will take more than Gausman, but sure I'd be willing to give up those cheap years of control and yes to an extension. Anything can happen, I get it, maybe Price declines. But he's more proven than anything we have. I still don't think this happens, but I'd love to be surprised.

@levineps

#8 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

Draft/Minors Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,429 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

Problems there is the premium they would demand to trade him in their division and have to face him so many times, and there are a few teams much deeper in talent than we are (both top level and lower levels) that will be looking for a guy like Price. Not impossible, but I think there's just too much in the way of making it work, especially in the division.

@JeremyMStrain

#9 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

• Moderators
  • 31,701 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

StL or Texas can easily beat any offer we put out there.

• JeremyStrain and FlavaDave10 like this
@BSLRobShields

#10 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

• Moderators
  • 31,701 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

Do we want DD dealing with Friedman? 

@BSLRobShields

#11 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

Game Thread Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,106 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

With as brilliant as the Rays are - if they would accept Gausman as a centerpiece for a Price deal, I'd immediately pull him off the table.

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
You'll always be with us Flanny

#12 Markus

Markus

Natinals Fanboi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts
  • LocationNot Cloudy Enough So-Cal

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:04 AM

Given what both our owner and Gm have said publicly I don't see the O's willing to offer the dollars/years it'd take to sign Price to an extension if the Rays were actually willing to trade Price in the division.

Decaying America, one message board post at a time.

#13 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

• Moderators
  • 31,701 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

Given what both our owner and Gm have said publicly I don't see the O's willing to offer the dollars/years it'd take to sign Price to an extension if the Rays were actually willing to trade Price in the division.

You don't need an extension.

You have him for 2 years.

In fact, why would you want to extend him?  Give him 170-200 million to pitch here until he is 37 years old?

No thanks.

If you have enough to trade for him, you do it and try to win in the next 2 years.  If you win, great...he can walk for picks.

If you don't win, you can deal him next offseason or the following trade deadline and recoup a lot of what you traded to get him.

You just have to hope that he stays healthy and performs at a high level.

• PD24 likes this
@BSLRobShields

#14 Markus

Markus

Natinals Fanboi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts
  • LocationNot Cloudy Enough So-Cal

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

Than if it's just 2 years than it'd be a no deal for me.

Decaying America, one message board post at a time.

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Operations Mgr

• Administrators
  • 49,797 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

You don't need an extension.

You have him for 2 years.

In fact, why would you want to extend him?  Give him 170-200 million to pitch here until he is 37 years old?

No thanks.

If you have enough to trade for him, you do it and try to win in the next 2 years.  If you win, great...he can walk for picks.

If you don't win, you can deal him next offseason or the following trade deadline and recoup a lot of what you traded to get him.

You just have to hope that he stays healthy and performs at a high level.

I think if you gave up Gausman+, you'd have to have an extension in place... but I was thinking a year or two of top $.... not a longer deal at the money you've mentioned. Of course the flip side to that is Price wouldn't settle for a 1 or 2 year extension, when this will be the last major contract he signs.

So.... I guess in that sense I agree with you about not giving the larger extension. Though if you are only talking about 2 yrs of Price, that should limit how much is going back to Tampa Bay.

St. Louis or Texas could offer more back to Tampa Bay if they wanted... but are they going to trade much more than Gausman for just 2 yrs of control of Price?  IDK... maybe.

As far as Tampa Bay wanting a premium for trading Price within the division... I think their primary objective will be getting the most the talent they can (and cheapest talent they can) from anyone. If Gausman was the best center piece they were offered for Price, don't think they would turn that down for less elsewhere because Price would stay in the East.

#16 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

• Moderators
  • 31,701 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

I think if you gave up Gausmam+, you'd have to have an extension in place... but I was thinking a year or two of top $.... not a longer deal at the money you've mentioned. Of course the flip side to that is Price wouldn't settle for a 1 or 2 year extension, when this will be the last major contract he signs.

So.... I guess in that sense I agree with you about not giving the larger extension. Though if you are only talking about 2 yrs of Price, that should limit how much is going back to Tampa Bay.

St. Louis or Texas could offer more back to Tampa Bay if they wanted... but are they going to trade much more than Gausman for just 2 yrs of control of Price?  IDK... maybe.

As far as Tampa Bay wanting a premium for trading Price within the division... I think their primary objective will be getting the most the talent they can (and cheapest talent they can) from anyone. If Gausman was the best center piece they were offered for Price, don't think they would turn that down for less elsewhere because Price would stay in the East.

Why not?  They are deep, draft and develop well and are in position to win.

Plus...they are very likely to end up with draft picks for him.

They will get a ton for him and they will want position talent...which we can't really give them.

I think we would have to put Bundy and Gaus on the table to be in the discussion.

OR, someone is going to have to love Gaus or Bundy to the point where we can do a 3 way deal and get them a positional prospect.  Thats our only hope...and there is just no reason for that to occur.

There will be enough teams that can easily beat our offer that don't need to involve a third team to accomodate what TB wants.

@BSLRobShields

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Operations Mgr

• Administrators
  • 49,797 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

Why not?  They are deep, draft and develop well and are in position to win.

Plus...they are very likely to end up with draft picks for him.

They will get a ton for him and they will want position talent...which we can't really give them.

I think we would have to put Bundy and Gaus on the table to be in the discussion.

OR, someone is going to have to love Gaus or Bundy to the point where we can do a 3 way deal and get them a positional prospect.  Thats our only hope...and there is just no reason for that to occur.

There will be enough teams that can easily beat our offer that don't need to involve a third team to accommodate what TB wants.

I think both St. Louis and Texas have the means to trade for Price if they wanted. I think you've outlined the rationale of why they could. I think Texas would be more likely.  St. Louis looks to me to have enough SP... they might decide they prefer the years of team control vs. giving up those players for 2 yrs of Price.

I think Gausman + either Schoop or Rodriguez would give you a realistic chance. I think you can debate the merits of doing that. If that is not enough, nothing to really discuss.  Hard to imagine any scenario where the O's gave up both Gausman and Bundy (outside of maybe Stanton... and possibly Sale).

#18 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

• Moderators
  • 31,701 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

I think both St. Louis and Texas have the means to trade for Price if they wanted. I think you've outlined the rationale of why they could. I think Texas would be more likely.  St. Louis looks to me to have enough SP... they might decide they prefer the years of team control vs. giving up those players for 2 yrs of Price.

I think Gausman + either Schoop or Rodriguez would give you a realistic chance. I think you can debate the merits of doing that. If that is not enough, nothing to really discuss.  Hard to imagine any scenario where the O's gave up both Gausman and Bundy (outside of maybe Stanton... and possibly Sale).

Maybe...but they would have to LOVE those guys.

I personally think we can put all 3 on the table and our deal would still get crushed.

@BSLRobShields

#19 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

StL or Texas can easily beat any offer we put out there.

Trading for Price would go against the Cardinals' usual MO. But with their surplus of pitching prospects, might not be a bad idea. Carlos Martinez would probably be the centerpiece. I'm assuming StL would view Wacha, Miller, Kelly, and Rosenthal as untouchable. 

@BmoreDaveS

#20 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,378 posts
  • Location(Old) Bay Area

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

Didn't Price have elbow problems this year?  Pass for the cost.

@fuzydunlop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users