#61 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,389 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

Brief side note but wife and I have said that no matter where we are, when/if this happens we're definitely going to be there for the inaugural game.

You don't need that much of an excuse to come back to Baltimore.

;)

• Markus likes this
@DJ_McCann

#62 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

SB NationWhat will the next American World Cup look like?

As many great stadiums as the U.S. has, they don't have a great stadium in every city they would like to. FIFA requires that all World Cup stadiums be all-seaters, with back rests. That means benches are a no-go. They also require that stadiums have one covered stand for the press and VIP's, something that most stadiums can work around with their vast press boxes, suites and premium seating that don't exist in many venues around the world.

Those rules put a major crunch on Los Angeles. The Rose Bowl seats tens of thousands on benches, while the Coliseum has no cover and a small, inadequate press box with virtually no premium seating. Unless a new stadium is built by the time the U.S. next hosts the World Cup, the nation's second biggest city will not have a stadium capable of hosting.

If the World Cup is split into regions, be it three or four, and each group was assigned to a region, they wouldn't have to travel extraordinarily far in the first two weeks. For example, if a northeast region was created, teams could play their group stage matches in New York, Boston and Washington, D.C., a much more manageable travel schedule than say, San Francisco, Miami and Chicago. That regionalization could even be continued into the round of 16 and, to a degree, the quarterfinals and semifinals. It's possible no team would have to travel cross-country until the final.

The proposed cities

ryanmap.png

Others: Philadelphia has a 69,111 seat stadium in Lincoln Financial Field that is near the city center. The area has been a soccer hotbed for decades and is probably the biggest challenger to Foxborough for the final spot in the northeast. Baltimore, with its 71,008 seat M&T Bank Stadium, would also be in the mix.

@levineps

#63 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

New RepublicFIFA Needs to Take the 2022 World Cup Away from Qatar. Now.

@levineps

#64 JamesGallden

JamesGallden
  • Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:35 AM

If any of you have HBO watch the real sports they just did on Qatar.  It's shocking that this isn't unbelievable.  

#65 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,177 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:10 AM

http://screamer.dead...78594/ rohan954

• Don Quixote likes this

#66 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,389 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

FIFA Financial Watchdog Arrested For Corruption

• Don Quixote likes this
@DJ_McCann

#67 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,349 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:22 PM

FIFA Financial Watchdog Arrested For Corruption

250px-Cayman_Islands_Offshore_Holding_Co

tumblr_mkzc7b9xYJ1r1lbm2o2_400.gif

tumblr_mkzc7b9xYJ1r1lbm2o5_400.gif

• Don Quixote likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#68 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,177 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:47 PM

http://www.washingto...2022-world-cup/

#69 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,177 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:41 AM

FIFA executive board member Theo Zwanziger believes Qatar will be stripped of its right to host 2022 World Cup.

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

#70 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,389 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:50 AM

FIFA executive board member Theo Zwanziger believes Qatar will be stripped of its right to host 2022 World Cup.

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Must be 10 minutes late with his payment.

• BSLChrisBacon likes this
@DJ_McCann

#71 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,170 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:40 AM

It probably needs to happen but that really is unfair to Qatar. They invested the money to build these stadiums and dozens of people have already died building them. So by stripping them of the WC you've basically made those deaths totally avoidable and in vain. Shame on FIFA for that. With all the shit the NFL is getting, FIFA should be getting backlash a million times worse for this. 

But it's soccer, the world's sport, so they won't.

#72 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,873 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

If this happens, the 10+ years of litigation should be real fun to watch.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#73 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,389 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:31 PM

It probably needs to happen but that really is unfair to Qatar. They invested the money to build these stadiums and dozens of people have already died building them. So by stripping them of the WC you've basically made those deaths totally avoidable and in vain. Shame on FIFA for that. With all the shit the NFL is getting, FIFA should be getting backlash a million times worse for this. 

But it's soccer, the world's sport, so they won't.

I think that as much as you could make those deaths not be "in vain", changing the host country and showing that such blatant disregard for human rights in the pursuit of a sporting event will not be tolerated would be one way to do so.

@DJ_McCann

#74 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,170 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

I think that as much as you could make those deaths not be "in vain", changing the host country and showing that such blatant disregard for human rights in the pursuit of a sporting event will not be tolerated would be one way to do so.

I think this only shows how much of a colossal fuck up it was to give them the WC in the first place.

Qatar shouldn't get it, but what did FIFA expect? 

#75 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,389 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:03 PM

I think this only shows how much of a colossal fuck up it was to give them the WC in the first place.

Qatar shouldn't get it, but what did FIFA expect? 

What they got: money.

• Don Quixote likes this
@DJ_McCann

#76 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,170 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:13 PM

What they got: money.

Exactly. So where is the outrage?

#77 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,349 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

I'm fairly certain that since decision was announced I've read a ton about the outrage over all of this, the bribes, deaths, etc.

Does it get as much airplay on the news and ESPN and wherever else? No. But soccer is the like 5th most popular sport in this country. I highly doubt people in Sweden are getting a ton Ray Rice/Greg Hardy/AP coverage on their news channels.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#78 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:14 PM

Is anyone besides the US in the running to be the replacement host?

I side with the stripping is a necessary indictment of the human rights violations Qatar has committed. I don't even care about the bribes.
  • Don Quixote likes this

#79 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,389 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:50 PM

Is anyone besides the US in the running to be the replacement host?

I side with the stripping is a necessary indictment of the human rights violations Qatar has committed. I don't even care about the bribes.

If they do it early enough, I'm sure they could hold another selection. The reason everyone talks about the US is because, if FIFA decides to bow to pressure late in the process, or if Qatar simply cannot get everything ready in time, America could step right in with essentially no notice with available stadiums and the necessary infrastructure in place.

@DJ_McCann

#80 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,870 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:17 AM

I'm fairly certain that since decision was announced I've read a ton about the outrage over all of this, the bribes, deaths, etc.
Does it get as much airplay on the news and ESPN and wherever else? No. But soccer is the like 5th most popular sport in this country. I highly doubt people in Sweden are getting a ton Ray Rice/Greg Hardy/AP coverage on their news channels.

I'd be curious to see what sort of coverage this is getting in the home countries of these modern-day slaves. You can bet if it were Americans going over there, having their passports confiscated, being forced to live and work in inhumane conditions, and dying at appalling rates, the outrage would be off the charts. Of course the counties they are from (India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, etc) don't necessarily have much better conditions in some cases, nor do they have the sort of outspoken and robust media that we do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors