#41 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:45 PM

@GrantWahl Sunil Gulati (US Soccer prez, FIFA ExCo) flat-out denying report FIFA has asked US to be ready to take over WC22.

@levineps

#42 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

http://www.espnfc.co...anz-beckenbauer

#43 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:45 AM

http://news.msn.com/...-over-qatar-bid

#44 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:40 PM

Possible 2022 US venues (Deadspin)

Because the U.S. formally bid against Qatar for the 2022 cup, we do have some major clues as to U.S. Soccer's intentions The bid committee selected 18 host cities: Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, New York City, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa and Washington, D.C.

That's twice as many cities as actually hosted matches in 1994, so let's narrow it down to the 12 most likely 2022 venues, based on whether they've hosted an event of this magnitude, were a previous World Cup host venue, and their place in American soccer history.

Los Angeles — The Rose Bowl: capacity 94,542. Hosted the final of the 1994 World Cup and the 1999 Women's World Cup final. There's probably no more iconic multi-sport stadium in the country.
San Diego — Qualcomm Stadium: capacity 67,700. Was a CONCACAF Gold Cup site, as well as the host of Super Bowls XXII, XXXII, and XXXVII.
Seattle — CenturyLink Field: capacity 68,056. Home of the Seattle Sounders, who easily lead MLS in attendance, and it was also a CONCACAF Gold Cup venue.
Denver — Sports Authority Field at Mile High: capacity 75,165. The home of the Broncos, Denver hosted the 2008 Democratic National Convention here,
Houston — NRG Stadium: capacity 76,000. CONCACAF Gold Cup venue.
Miami — Sun Life Stadium: capacity 80,240. Sun Life has hosted numerous soccer friendlies, as well as three BCS title games and multiple Super Bowls.
Atlanta — New Atlanta Stadium: capacity 75,000. This will be the home of the Atlanta Falcons, as well as the new Atlanta MLS team, and will be designed with soccer in mind.
Washington, D.C. — FedEx Field: 91,704. A 1999 Women's World Cup venue.
Philadelphia — Lincoln Financial Field: capacity 69,111. "The Linc" has hosted matches for the 2003 Women's World Cup.
Indianapolis — Lucas Oil Stadium: capacity 66,500. Indianapolis hosted Super Bowl XLVI in 2012, NCAA basketball championships, and World Football Challenge matches.
New York/New Jersey — MetLife Stadium: capacity 82,566. Recently hosted Super Bowl XLVIII.
Foxboro — Gillette Stadium: capacity 73,393. This was a 2003 Women's World Cup venue and is home to the New England Revolution.

I doubt they'll do San Diego especially without a new stadium, too close to LA as well. I think you'd substitute Levi's for that. And I think they'd have games in Chicago instead of Indy. (I see that SF/Chicago didn't make the initial list so going off of that I understand their exclusion).

I would think they'd go with Dallas instead of Houston, being at Jerry's World. I think Philly might be eliminated, with how many northeastern venues there are.

@levineps

#45 Markus

Markus

Natinals Fanboi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,328 posts
  • LocationNot Cloudy Enough So-Cal

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

In Seattle, NY/NJ, and Indy (and even Dallas if they had games at Jerry's World) they'd have to put grass on top of the turf and there have been mixed results in the past from that.  Dunno how much that would play into whether or not those stadiums would get used.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#46 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,912 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

Possible 2022 US venues (Deadspin)

I doubt they'll do San Diego especially without a new stadium, too close to LA as well. I think you'd substitute Levi's for that. And I think they'd have games in Chicago instead of Indy. (I see that SF/Chicago didn't make the initial list so going off of that I understand their exclusion).

I would think they'd go with Dallas instead of Houston, being at Jerry's World. I think Philly might be eliminated, with how many northeastern venues there are.

Agreed on all counts.  No way Jerry World doesn't get a game if we get the World Cup.

• Oriole85 likes this

#47 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,912 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:44 PM

In Seattle, NY/NJ, and Indy (and even Dallas if they had games at Jerry's World) they'd have to put grass on top of the turf and there have been mixed results in the past from that.  Dunno how much that would play into whether or not those stadiums would get used.

If that's the primary concern, that could put dumps like Heinz and Soldier into the conversation.

#48 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,465 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:44 PM

So do you think it gets moved from Qatar?
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#49 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:46 PM

I think they'll definitely be playing in New York, maybe not as much Seattle(although they support soccer as well) and Indy. I think Dallas will get it because it's the one non-college stadium (and moder), they could get 100k (barring stadium expansions).

@levineps

#50 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:47 PM

If that's the primary concern, that could put dumps like Heinz and Soldier into the conversation.

I think Soldier will get it because it's the biggest city in flyover country and they had the Opening Game last time around. It's a dump, wasn't aware of that. Heinz won't be getting it, already enough NE cities, yes I realize they are on the fringes of the midwest.

@levineps

#51 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:47 PM

So do you think it gets moved from Qatar?

Not a FIFA expert, but there's smoke here.

@levineps

#52 Markus

Markus

Natinals Fanboi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,328 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

Also, I could see Arizona's stadium being in the mix.  That one's pretty big and they have grass there.

If (when) the US gets it, I definitely think they'd want to put it in Seattle somehow.  The Pacific Northwest loves them some soccer and I'd be they'd get a fair amount of people from across the border in Vancouver wanting tickets too. 

Granted it seems like it's been hard for sod to take just for 1 game (let alone a handful of games I'd guess they'd want to play there) but given enough time, money, brainpower, I'm sure they could find a way to make the field up to player/FIFA standards.

#53 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

Also, I could see Arizona's stadium being in the mix.  That one's pretty big and they have grass there.

If (when) the US gets it, I definitely think they'd want to put it in Seattle somehow.  Granted it seems like it's been hard for sod to take just for 1 game (let alone a handful of games I'd guess they'd want to play there) but given enough time, money, brainpower, I'm sure they could find a way to make the field up to player/FIFA standards.

That's mentioned in the article, if they don't do Denver and San Diego sure. I know it's retractable roof, but don't they prefer to have these games outdoors when it's possible? And don't forget it's as hell in Arizona during the summer.

@levineps

#54 Markus

Markus

Natinals Fanboi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,328 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:00 PM

^I'd assume Arizona would be like Houston (mentioned above) and they'd definitely have the roof open.

#55 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,015 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:35 PM

Whenever the US gets a World Cup again, I'm going to have to go to a game, even if it isn't a US game.

The Gold Cup in Baltimore last year was awesome to attend. I can't imagine how a WC game feels.

#56 Markus

Markus

Natinals Fanboi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,328 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:51 PM

I went to a US/Panama (I think) friendly back in the day at RFK and even for it being a friendly the atmosphere was pretty spectacular.

#57 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,912 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:59 PM

^I'd assume Arizona would be like Houston (mentioned above) and they'd definitely have the roof open.

I'm not sure it'd be safe to have people from other countries come to Arizona.
  • Markus likes this

#58 Markus

Markus

Natinals Fanboi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,328 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:05 PM

But how else will Sheriff Joe show off this beauty? 

pnG6zMh.png

Can't you picture that beauty parked out front of the stadium as fans stream in and out of the stadium for a Argentina/Belgium match?

• Don Quixote likes this

#59 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

Only way I think I'd pay to see a soccer game would be a World Cup game in the area, I might travel a little bit to see the US. I have a slight interest in seeing DCU's stadium if it's ever built.

@levineps

#60 Markus

Markus

Natinals Fanboi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,328 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:18 PM

Only way I think I'd pay to see a soccer game would be a World Cup game in the area, I might travel a little bit to see the US. I have a slight interest in seeing DCU's stadium if it's ever built.

Brief side note but wife and I have said that no matter where we are, when/if this happens we're definitely going to be there for the inaugural game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors